PDA

View Full Version : Stupid winter project musings ...

djg
12-16-2005, 08:39 PM
My CSi is not getting the road time it deserves and, for reasons that have little to do with cycling, I find myself pondering. Early last spring, I bought myself a LeMond fillmore and found that I liked riding it quite a bit. The parts are a bit of this and that, and I might have some quibbles, but basically it’s a really nice riding frame, IMO, and a big step up from the traditional fixie beater. I have no intention of doing away with gears altogether, but it seems that I’m always grabbing the Colnago for a geared ride or the LeMond for a fixed ride. The CSi, which is a great bike, is barely getting used. It’s a ’96 (10th anniversary) frame, which got a repaint, a new fork, and Chorus 10, a couple of years ago.

When I bought the LeMond, I may have suggested, if not quite promised, my wife that I’d sell one of the road bikes. I could probably get away with doing nothing—certainly she hasn’t been hounding me to sell a bike—and perhaps (or very likely) that’s what I should do. But I’ve been thinking about possible changes. One possible change would involve converting the Serotta into a fixie. To do that, I could simply buy a rear wheel built around an ENO hub. I have a line on a good price on the hub and the price of the whole thing wouldn’t be terrible at all. Wheel, cog and lockring, new chain, some bolts, some spacers, and maybe a new front chainring and everything should work. I have a spare set of brake levers and I could just pull the brifters, changers, and extra cables. That would probably be a killer fixed gear bike and I could sell the fillmore in the spring. An alternative would be to have the rear dropouts (vertical) replaced with either horizontal dropouts or track forks and, perhaps, to have the rear triangle reset to track width. If I did that, there’d be no going back (without more major surgery), but I’d be able to use some record-hubbed track wheels that I already have, I’d have more flexibility with wheels generally, and I’d have an easier time getting things to line up with a track crank (also handy, which would be a nice way to get shorter crank arms, both for spinning and for cornering). I would not treat this second path as a do-it-yourself in the garage deal, I’d have a serious, professional, non-idiot do it. I think it could be done for considerably less than the cost of a comparable fixed-specific frame bought as replacement.

Thoughts?

72gmc
12-16-2005, 08:49 PM
it's your CSi, but it makes more sense to my addled Friday brain to keep the CSi in its original form since they're now legendary things of the past. Might you be able to sell the CSi for enough to pick up a gorgeous lugged steel frame designed around track forks from maybe Waterford or Sycip or Sacha or...? I would think so, and you do have most of a winter to wait. Just a thought.

djg
12-17-2005, 06:45 PM
it's your CSi, but it makes more sense to my addled Friday brain to keep the CSi in its original form since they're now legendary things of the past. Might you be able to sell the CSi for enough to pick up a gorgeous lugged steel frame designed around track forks from maybe Waterford or Sycip or Sacha or...? I would think so, and you do have most of a winter to wait. Just a thought.

You might be right, at least on the first one. I could do the non-invasive conversion around an ENO hub--if I stick the gears and brifters in a box I can always go back if I choose. As for selling the CSi--well, I have thought of it. Obviously I'm not anxious to do it. And frankly, I'm not really sure what I could get. I've seen some very nice steel bikes sell on e-bay for sums that wouldn't come close to the price of a new Spectrum, Kirk or Vanilla frameset, let alone one all built up into a bike. I suppose I'd have the wheels, bars, and some other bits ready to go. Still, if you're starting at 2k for the frameset and then adding parts ... well, it's not a wash. I suppose Waterford is slightly less expensive, but not by all that much, even on the 1-color paint job.

Fixed
12-17-2005, 09:35 PM
bro it sounds to me, but I'm not that smart that got a good deal goin now why break up the family i.m.h.o. you never know when you might need an extra road bike i'd put as wide a tire as i could on the c.s.i. and make into my do everythng bike take it for errands, long solo rides my best frirnd bike the nago for fast group rides/ races and the fixed for everyday rides cheers :beer: merry christmas :fight: :beer:

djg
12-17-2005, 09:51 PM
bro it sounds to me, but I'm not that smart that got a good deal goin now why break up the family i.m.h.o. you never know when you might need an extra road bike i'd put as wide a tire as i could on the c.s.i. and make into my do everythng bike take it for errands, long solo rides my best frirnd bike the nago for fast group rides/ races and the fixed for everyday rides cheers :beer: merry christmas :fight: :beer:

Fixed, if you're not that smart, how is it that you typically make pretty good sense? You're probably right about this, and I might just follow your advice, but I'm still pondering a bit.

Cheers.