PDA

View Full Version : A short love letter to Assos...

FlashUNC
07-04-2013, 04:00 PM
You crazy Swiss,
Your SS.13 jersey is amazing. Easily my go-to hot weather jersey with just stupendous fit on the bike. Was one of the few good things on a 100k 4th of July ride.

Even makes a fat guy like me look, well, less fat.

Yours in Lycra,

A fat, slow bike rider.

emmett
07-04-2013, 04:16 PM
assos certainly makes the best stuff

beeatnik
07-04-2013, 04:40 PM
A sui generis jersey. The multiple fabrics and 5 pocket design make it the most practical jersey on the market. Works great in the heat and actually insulates in low temps. Just wish the sleeves were longer since it's a funny looking jersey, overall.

phcollard
07-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Since you seem to have connections please PM me the email address of the Assos girl.

Thank you.

FlashUNC
07-04-2013, 05:33 PM
A sui generis jersey. The multiple fabrics and 5 pocket design make it the most practical jersey on the market. Works great in the heat and actually insulates in low temps. Just wish the sleeves were longer since it's a funny looking jersey, overall.

The five pocket is ideal for food/gels in those outermost pockets. Really, really trick design.

Since you seem to have connections please PM me the email address of the Assos girl.

Thank you.

I'm not that connected.

metalheart
07-05-2013, 09:31 AM
Can you comment on the sizing ... Assos says order one size up from normal size you wear. I usually don't wear tight fitting jerseys for, ah lets say, visual pollution reasons, but the SS.13 jersey looks nice and the darker color would help. I have a 43-44 chest, 36" waist.

FlashUNC
07-05-2013, 09:38 AM
Can you comment on the sizing ... Assos says order one size up from normal size you wear. I usually don't wear tight fitting jerseys for, ah lets say, visual pollution reasons, but the SS.13 jersey looks nice and the darker color would help. I have a 43-44 chest, 36" waist.

I went by the sizing chart on Comp Cyclist, and it was pretty true to what you've heard. I normally wear a Large in most jerseys I have (Rapha for example), but it recommended I was an XL for the ss.13.

Definitely a snug fit.

One thing I did notice on fit: When you're just standing around, its like a sloth is trying to slowly strangle you to death. The fit is very bizarre off the bike, but perfect on it.

metalheart
07-05-2013, 10:45 AM
Thanks, that helps

fio
07-05-2013, 12:53 PM
I wore my SS.13 jersey today. Love the thing. IMO the smaller the better with that jersey. It's designed to be snug and form fitting. Reiterating above, the fit is odd off the bike, but once you're riding you don't even know it's there. Amazing. And the pockets...the best out of all my jerseys. It's just great all around for hot weather.

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-05-2013, 01:04 PM
$290, ouch.

FlashUNC
07-05-2013, 01:31 PM
$290, ouch.

Comp Cyclist was blowing them out for $160.

Easily worth it.

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-05-2013, 01:38 PM

Easily worth it.

I've got a few jerseys easily in total costing $290 that are "OK." May have to try the Assos on my "buff" frame.

Likes2ridefar
07-05-2013, 01:42 PM

Easily worth it.

I really want to think they are. Tempted to get one. I don't really understand how they can perform better than a basic mesh jersey with 3 pockets in hot weather. The team jerseys I have that are mesh absorb virtually no sweat, fit perfectly fine besides one issue I'll mention below, and are full zip.

the one issue I have with pretty much every jersey I use is the front is too long causing a bulge or me needing to fold it under whenever I notice it.

their bibs, I get, they last longer than anything else I've ever used but I've become accustomed to "crappy" bibs due to team obligations and find I can tolerate most any bib after a few days of break in.

is the jersey the same deal..a longevity thing? no strings hanging around to unravel over the years?

559Rando
07-05-2013, 01:54 PM

Thank you.

When I read the subject line, I was sure this thread would be to praise Her. She who looks better with each passing year.

FlashUNC
07-05-2013, 02:20 PM
I really want to think they are. Tempted to get one. I don't really understand how they can perform better than a basic mesh jersey with 3 pockets in hot weather. The team jerseys I have that are mesh absorb virtually no sweat, fit perfectly fine besides one issue I'll mention below, and are full zip.

the one issue I have with pretty much every jersey I use is the front is too long causing a bulge or me needing to fold it under whenever I notice it.

their bibs, I get, they last longer than anything else I've ever used but I've become accustomed to "crappy" bibs due to team obligations and find I can tolerate most any bib after a few days of break in.

is the jersey the same deal..a longevity thing? no strings hanging around to unravel over the years?

I've got a pair of their bibs too, and this jersey's every bit as good. First hot weather jersey I haven't had the desire to unzip once it gets really warm and humid.

The front is also cut way shorter than a lot of other jerseys. No bulge. I'm tellin' ya, fits like a glove without feeling like a sausage case.

metalheart
07-05-2013, 03:35 PM
I was ready to pull the trigger at the sale price at CC, but then they only have white and yellow in the larger sizes. Could not find another sale price for a black or titanium color in larger sizes .... oh well

Rueda Tropical
07-05-2013, 04:49 PM
I was ready to pull the trigger at the sale price at CC, but then they only have white and yellow in the larger sizes. Could not find another sale price for a black or titanium color in larger sizes .... oh well

I understand Assos is soon to release a new version so you should be able to find the current model discounted all over soon, including at the Assos factory outlet (once the new version is out).

Here is another sale:
http://www.worldcycling.com/Assos-SS13-Jersey/productinfo/AS2J13/#.Udc-QT5ASCg

metalheart
07-05-2013, 10:42 PM
Thanks RT ... I will keep my eyes open for a black/titanium in XLG. The site you referenced has red, white, and yellow, so the black and titanium in larger sizes must be more rare items to find!

OnceFast
07-07-2013, 06:46 PM
Does anyone know a site selling the old Superlight in other than in Small or TIR(what is that)? Wish I had bought more than the two I have, especially in this weather. I could never figure out why if it's hot enough to go sleeveless, you would need a collar on your jersey. Assoss seems to be the only company to realize that you don't.

gasproject
07-07-2013, 08:40 PM
I've always bought Rapha (only when the money comes in). Fits and feels great. Always wondered about Assos - can anyone offer a comparison in terms of quality / features?

Lionel
07-08-2013, 12:19 AM
I wear the same size in the Uno and SS13 jersey. The SS13 is tighter but the fabric stretches more. It is very close to the body. As others said the 5 pockets are the best.