PDA

View Full Version : Bad Bike Aesthetics

chengher87
07-03-2013, 09:07 PM
I don't know what's up with today, but the hate and trolling seems to worse than usual since I joined (which was around the time the Paul Taylor thread got re-opened).

Anyway, let's channel it into something else. What do you think is the ugly (or you just plain hate) concerning bike frames, bike components or artistic bike license?

For me? It's curved top tubes and the new aesthetics of the shimano cranksets.

BumbleBeeDave
07-03-2013, 09:12 PM
I had some on my Serotta for a couple of years but now with short/shallow--and smoothly curved--bars available that "ergonomic" bend really turns me off. It looks like they are broken.

That being said, in the overall analysis people should ride whatever they like or have on hand. It might not be the bike I would ride on, but it's not my bike and I'm not riding on it.

As for the trolling lately . . . yeah, I'm kind of surprised at how many people are acting like jerks considering what time of year it is. This is more what you would expect from cabin fever season in February. :(

BBD

Ken Robb
07-03-2013, 09:14 PM
So you think asking people to criticize bikes and equipment that other forumites own is a good route to peace and harmony?????:confused:

Joachim
07-03-2013, 09:18 PM
So you think asking people to criticize bikes and equipment that other forumites own is a good route to peace and harmony?????:confused:

Were you reading my mind?

johnniecakes
07-03-2013, 09:19 PM
I try very hard not to hate anything, seems like a waste of time and energy. But I really love a Klondike bar on a hot day, makes everything OK

tiretrax
07-03-2013, 09:23 PM
I'd prefer a puppy. It won't make me fat(ter).

chengher87
07-03-2013, 09:25 PM
:) I guess I didn't think it all the way through. But, I wouldn't really be offended if someone decided to post up my bike and then critique it. As BBD pointed out, I'd be riding it, not the critic.

Then again, the other threads really had topics that shouldn't have led to trolling but they did.

CunegoFan
07-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Tapered main tubes make a fugly frame.

Wheel logos larger than the bike's logos. In fact, any time the wheels "overwhelm" the frame.

Aero seatposts that are 3 or so inches wide.

Bars with a compact curvature. Fugly!

bluesea
07-03-2013, 09:45 PM
Tapered main tubes make a fugly frame.

Wheel logos larger than the bike's logos. In fact, any time the wheels "overwhelm" the frame.

Aero seatposts that are 3 or so inches wide.

Bars with a compact curvature. Fugly!

I'm surprised you didn't mention frame pumps. :banana:

Fugly frame and handlebars.
http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7430/9203350027_3d051b79e0_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/9203350027/)
IMG_0699x (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/9203350027/) by pigmode (http://www.flickr.com/people/pigmode/), on Flickr

branflakes
07-03-2013, 09:54 PM
where do i even start with this. as a disclaimer, this is not FFP (forum friendly politics)...

it's a specialized, not some obscure, elitist brand costing 5x the normal price. cheapskape!
agreed on the handlebars. who has hands shaped like that?
is that saddle throwing respect to allah?
no accent colors on the bits? no white tape, white stem, white hoods, white stripped tires, etc.
non-aero shifter cables are very 9s!
stem angle. if you need that kind of drop you need not be on such a compact frame.
is that a 52/42? i haven't seen one of them stock since like.....
the flaccid seat bag....hard men who ride negative angle stems need not concern themselves with such trivial things as punctures.
the rainforest cafe bottle should be swapped for something much more stylistic. yeah, you heard me.....less volume, more style.
aluminum bottle cages are so 2006
aluminum rims are so 2011
closet doors should not match the floor finish
this thing looks slow, so no matter how strong a rider you are you must be S.L.O.W.
allez means 'c'mon' - which is all i have to say about that!

BTW - this is all t.i.c. (tongue in cheek). i love people who ride. even (some (not most)) hipsters. ;)

and double parathenseses is like (tongue in (tongue in cheek)). does that make it double negative?

http://forums.thepaceline.net/attachment.php?attachmentid=1697863602&stc=1&d=1372903474

blessthismess
07-03-2013, 10:00 PM
I am very open minded but I have one pet peeve....

Plastic shop pedals on a $3,000 bike:p

Lovetoclimb
07-03-2013, 10:04 PM
I would rather ride a coaster brake cruiser bike than that Specialized.

rustychisel
07-03-2013, 10:10 PM
I'd prefer a puppy. It won't make me fat(ter).

just for you. Thank me later.

http://www.dbmagazine.com.au/cyclo/mmmmmm.png

cat6
07-03-2013, 10:45 PM
Radio has been a Bowdoin tradition dating back to the early 1940s when students and faculty sporadically hosted and recorded programs on campus, which were later broadcast through Portland's WCSH, Lewiston's WCOU, Augusta's WRDO, and Bangor's WLBZ. These programs usually consisted of a combination of play readings, faculty interviews, and live vocal music, usually from the Bowdoin College Glee Club and the Meddiebempsters

bikingshearer
07-03-2013, 10:56 PM
Current (and recent past) Shimano cranksets. I bet they are an engineer's wet dream and are the acme of function, and I have no problem being seen in public with people who have them. But to my retro-grouchy and aging eyes, they are Gawd-awful ugly.

Of course, on this as in most things, my opinion plus a buck fifty will get you a bad cup of coffee.

Now somebody pass me Klondike bar. Better yet, an It's-It. In chocolate.

kramnnim
07-03-2013, 10:58 PM
Something about zero setback seatposts doesn't look right.

Venge top tubes remind me of camel crickets.

Round seatpost in an aero seat tube...ugly.

Nitto Technomic stems at full extension, also ugly.

SRAM.

kramnnim
07-03-2013, 11:03 PM
Oh, and saddle with upturned noses...especially Brooks. Seems like they are often pointed to the sky.

Also, tiny 50cm and massive 64cm frames...top and down tubes should not touch, and head tubes should not be as long as the fork legs.

Edit: Adamo saddles!

cat6
07-03-2013, 11:06 PM
Radio has been a Bowdoin tradition dating back to the early 1940s when students and faculty sporadically hosted and recorded programs on campus, which were later broadcast through Portland's WCSH, Lewiston's WCOU, Augusta's WRDO, and Bangor's WLBZ. These programs usually consisted of a combination of play readings, faculty interviews, and live vocal music, usually from the Bowdoin College Glee Club and the Meddiebempsters

bicycletricycle
07-03-2013, 11:21 PM
850 dollar front derailleurs are a serious problem for me right now

Those stupid drilled trp aero levers

Any saddle with its nose pointing down

Suspension corrected rigid forks

New shimano cranks , actually, new shimano

Huge wheel graphics

Those stupid specialized wheels with the gigantic alien hub flanges

Colored tires

Sloping top tube bikes with slammed -17 degree stems

Huge head tubs on metal bikes ( firefly, Bedford, etc)

Ee brakes look like a mess and I don't care how well they work ( kinda want a pair anyways)

Rotor cranks

Kcnc everything

Parlee huge nasty white graphics

Humped top tubes

Old lugged bikes ridden by people who are too tall for them in some sort of an attempt to make them new again, more than a fist of post, long ass stem, etc..

Threadless adapters are terrible

Almost all External cam skewers

Laser etched graphics on ck r45 hubs

Matching yellow or red or whatever, saddle, bar tape, pedals. Even if it matches your frames graphics.

Cycle computers

Battery/control units attached zip ties

Anything attached with zip ties

Modern frame pumps , especially the carbon ones

Frame pumps on carbon frames

Charles M
07-04-2013, 12:15 AM
People that have problems with most other things are my problem...
:)

slidey
07-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Hey...you posted the pics of the 7900 crankset. That isn't all that new...(oh, and I'm revoking your right to say that the 9000 is so damn ugly that you couldn't bare the thought of even pasting it.)

Back to the bike though...this pair of ergo bars is particularly bad (I don't sway that way in any case), WC stripes on saddle is a strict no-no, don't like the aesthetics of the FSA cranks, don't like the blue bottle, can't make head or tail of the stickers on this Specialized :cool:

It's curved top tubes and the new aesthetics of the shimano cranksets.

Well of course they'd ride whatever is on hand...duh :bike:

That being said, in the overall analysis people should ride whatever they like or have on hand.

fuzzalow
07-04-2013, 06:51 AM
I don't view anything in bikes as ugly and for sure nothing with the sport would incite hate over aesthetics which I attribute to more as an error in taste than an error in judgement.

For my own bikes, I am extremely rigorous and am confident in the aesthetics of my own bikes. So if anyone thinks it sucks, well that's nice. Got nothin' bad to say about anybody's bike. Simply 'cos it's a bike.

soulspinner
07-04-2013, 06:57 AM

http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7430/9203350027_3d051b79e0_c.jpg (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/9203350027/)
IMG_0699x (http://www.flickr.com/photos/pigmode/9203350027/) by pigmode (http://www.flickr.com/people/pigmode/), on Flickr

Really nice shot. Love that house just right of center. The bike is nice too:)

oldpotatoe
07-04-2013, 07:27 AM
I don't know what's up with today, but the hate and trolling seems to worse than usual since I joined (which was around the time the Paul Taylor thread got re-opened).

Anyway, let's channel it into something else. What do you think is the ugly (or you just plain hate) concerning bike frames, bike components or artistic bike license?

I donno, hate is a big word. it's about bicycles, ya know, toys, hard to 'hate'.."not care for, think is useless, not designed well, not reliable"......OK..

Hard to hate something about toys. (I hate that new Fisher-Price baby bouncy thing...????)

How many truly 'hate' something or someone? For me, I can hate only one thing at a time..since really hating takes a lot of emotion.

YMMV
IMHO

sparky33
07-04-2013, 07:38 AM
850 dollar front derailleurs are a serious problem for me right now

Those stupid drilled trp aero levers

Any saddle with its nose pointing down

Suspension corrected rigid forks

New shimano cranks , actually, new shimano

Huge wheel graphics

Those stupid specialized wheels with the gigantic alien hub flanges

Colored tires

Sloping top tube bikes with slammed -17 degree stems

Huge head tubs on metal bikes ( firefly, Bedford, etc)

Ee brakes look like a mess and I don't care how well they work ( kinda want a pair anyways)

Rotor cranks

Kcnc everything

Parlee huge nasty white graphics

Humped top tubes

Old lugged bikes ridden by people who are too tall for them in some sort of an attempt to make them new again, more than a fist of post, long ass stem, etc..

Threadless adapters are terrible

Almost all External cam skewers

Laser etched graphics on ck r45 hubs

Matching yellow or red or whatever, saddle, bar tape, pedals. Even if it matches your frames graphics.

Cycle computers

Battery/control units attached zip ties

Anything attached with zip ties

Modern frame pumps , especially the carbon ones

Frame pumps on carbon frames

A bit of aesthetic house cleaning is good for the soul.

Carry on.

bobswire
07-04-2013, 07:50 AM
I'll don't know where to even start with this but then again someone may think it's brilliant.

http://i43.tinypic.com/1zxjsy.jpg

Bikerist
07-04-2013, 07:50 AM

A drop stem on a bike with spacers is not just ugly, it is down right stupid.

I can deal with ugly bikes but not stupid people.

BumbleBeeDave
07-04-2013, 07:51 AM
what a stupid thread. I'm not just saying that because I own a 9000 crankset that's totally awesome and capable of doing much more than just about any other crankset on the market in terms of gearing options(I also have a WI VBC).

He's having fun with it. Have some fun with it yourself. If you can't have fun with the thread, then maybe just don't post and move on to one that you like?

There seems to be a real lack of that ability on the forum lately.

BBD

Sandy
07-04-2013, 08:29 AM
"Bad bike aesthetics" is an interesting topic in that aesthetics is pure individual perception..how an individual perceives what he looks at...the feeling that its appearance evokes, the emotion it produces, its beauty or its ugliness, all unique to the individual, based on the individual's experiences and personal reaction to what he sees.

But one rides the bike, and not the aesthetics.The fit adds to the actual ride, but the aesthetics simply goes along with the ride and adds nothing to it. One has a special emotional positive feeling looking at a bike with pleasing aesthetics. However, hopefully, one will also realize that relative to the essence of the joy of cycling, the aesthetics of a bike means little, and relative to what is actually important in life, it means nothing.

Sandy

firerescuefin
07-04-2013, 08:44 AM
"Bad bike aesthetics" is an interesting topic in that aesthetics is pure individual perception..how an individual perceives what he looks at...the feeling that its appearance evokes, the emotion it produces, its beauty or its ugliness, all unique to the individual, based on the individual's experiences and personal reaction to what he sees.

But one rides the bike, and not the aesthetics.The fit adds to the actual ride, but the aesthetics simply goes along with the ride and adds nothing to it. One has a special emotional positive feeling looking at a bike with pleasing aesthetics. However, hopefully, one will also realize that relative to the essence of the joy of cycling, the aesthetics of a bike means little, and relative to what is actually important in life, it means nothing.

Sandy

Aesthetics and Fit are not synonyms...2 bikes can fit very similarly and have completely different aesthetics.....For me, one trumps the other...but both are important.

mike p
07-04-2013, 08:46 AM
Oldpotatoe is correct. Hate is a little to powerful a word. More like someone's style offends my aesthetic sensibilities.
I love all things shimano including those super cranks!
I love level or almost level top tubes!
I love round classic bars!
I love white or black bar tape and saddles!
Maybe loves to powerful a word for bike stuff too!

Dislikes
My number one pet peeve is when someone try's to color coordinate every little bit on a bike......matching tires, headsets, saddle, bar tape, valve covers! Yuck!

bobswire
07-04-2013, 08:52 AM
Oldpotatoe is correct. Hate is a little to powerful a word. More like someone's style offends my aesthetic sensibilities.

Dislikes
My number one pet peeve is when someone try's to color coordinate every little bit on a bike......matching tires, headsets, saddle, bar tape, valve covers! Yuck!

What if it came that way, like all matt black?

http://i42.tinypic.com/2n8ak3q.jpg

avalonracing
07-04-2013, 09:09 AM

Not really, but at the same time a group of grown men (mostly) should be able to handle someone criticizing their bicycle.
Everyone is so damn sensitive these days. No wonder WWII vets think we are all a bunch of wussies.

mike p
07-04-2013, 09:11 AM
I'm good with matte black!

Mike

What if it came that way, like all matt black?

http://i42.tinypic.com/2n8ak3q.jpg

Ken Robb
07-04-2013, 09:13 AM
Not really, but at the same time a group of grown men (mostly) should be able to handle someone criticizing their bicycle.
Everyone is so damn sensitive these days. No wonder WWII vets think we are all a bunch of wussies.

Please remember the original poster wrote that he thought there was too much negativity on the forum lately so let's all make negative comments about various bits of bikes and gear. I found that ironic--even comical--but I never said grown men couldn't handle criticism.

avalonracing
07-04-2013, 09:46 AM
but I never said grown men couldn't handle criticism.

Good... because your bike is ugly. Your saddle looks like a lounge chair, your bars looked like they were taped by a child with poor motor skills and your paint "colorway" looks like it was chosen by a man who uses the word "colorway".

(Of course having never seen your bike, I'm not really sure. But I'm just testing your ability to handle bike aesthetic criticism.)

Sandy
07-04-2013, 10:24 AM
Aesthetics and Fit are not synonyms...2 bikes can fit very similarly and have completely different aesthetics.....For me, one trumps the other...but both are important.

Of course aesthetics and fit are not synonyms. That is why I said that fit impacts ride but aesthetics does not. Clearly fit is more important than aesthetics, but aesthetics, for most, is important to an individual with his or her personal bike. I spent a great deal of time relative to aesthetics in purchasing a bike from Kelly Bedford. But I realize more and more, that relative to what really is significant in life, aesthetics means nothing. My comments were on comparative importance as to what is really important..not meat to criticize anyone.

Sandy

Ken Robb
07-04-2013, 10:43 AM
Good... because your bike is ugly. Your saddle looks like a lounge chair, your bars looked like they were taped by a child with poor motor skills and your paint "colorway" looks like it was chosen by a man who uses the word "colorway".

(Of course having never seen your bike, I'm not really sure. But I'm just testing your ability to handle bike aesthetic criticism.)

Everything you say is true--except for the JB paint. :)

Lurch
07-04-2013, 11:00 AM
Please remember the original poster wrote that he thought there was too much negativity on the forum lately so let's all make negative comments about various bits of bikes and gear. I found that ironic--even comical--but I never said grown men couldn't handle criticism.

How about we rephrase it then: "I'm tired of people on this forum attacking each other for minor things, so can we have some interesting community discussion on what we find unattractive in modern bike builds."

Better? Worse? My bikes are ugly, as are my kits and waistline, so I just lurk for the community flavor. :p

bluesea
07-04-2013, 11:32 AM

Sandy

Plato's Allegory of the Aesthetics right? :banana:

ORMojo
07-04-2013, 11:36 AM
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/GIANT-MCR2-time-trial-triathlon-road-carbon-/00/s/NjMwWDk0NA==/z/KAYAAOxyHt9R1OYb/$T2eC16V,!yEE9s5jFJ+bBR1OYbI86g~~60_12.JPGhttp://www.amigosdelciclismo.com/intervet/archivos/mcr.jpg
http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1273/1341190277_12add78aac.jpghttp://www.rolfhendriks.com/mediapool/75/757599/resources/big_23247523_0_550-366.jpg

I get what Giant was doing at the time, and even appreciate some of the innovations, but never could appreciate the look.

eippo1
07-04-2013, 11:56 AM

Could you have picked a worse pole to lean against? Man that thing is terrible. And the ground, are they going for the shabby shiek look or just lazy? :p

KidWok
07-04-2013, 12:18 PM
I don't have many...but the one that always drives me nuts is seeing someone with a nice old lugged bike with threaded headset get a quill adapter, Thomson stem and shim. Just messes up the way the whole thing looks. I saw that once and realized I was doing almost as bad with the shimmed Thomson on my Merckx MXL. Talk about pot calling kettle black...

Tai

josephr
07-04-2013, 12:38 PM
I'll don't know where to even start with this but then again someone may think it's brilliant.

http://i43.tinypic.com/1zxjsy.jpg

I hate it when people put the QR levers on the wrong side. :)

avalonracing
07-04-2013, 01:09 PM

Sweet mother of God! THAT isn't a basket it is a engine crash guard for an adventure motorcycle! I love it.

learningtoride
07-04-2013, 01:25 PM

cat6
07-04-2013, 01:34 PM

cat6
07-04-2013, 01:43 PM

cat6
07-04-2013, 01:46 PM

blessthismess
07-04-2013, 01:55 PM
^^ BBD's Bike? :)

firerescuefin
07-04-2013, 01:57 PM
Sweet mother of God! THAT isn't a basket it is a engine crash guard for an adventure motorcycle! I love it.

Don't hate on the "Thunderdome" edition...We...Don't need another hero!

Gatorfreak
07-04-2013, 03:52 PM
I don't care for all the branding labels, decals, etc plastered all over every part. Some is ok if done well but most bikes I see are just over the top.

shovelhd
07-04-2013, 04:28 PM
I dislike classic road bikes converted to fixies.

bicycletricycle
07-04-2013, 04:38 PM
i fixed these for you by including pictures of bikes you've posted in the custom section.

As u can see from the no bar tape, the colnago wasn't done, that is not a thread less adapter on my Waterford and nothing matches on the serotta, I do however, ride ridiculous and sometimes ugly bicycles.

I also don't like red Richard Sachs bikes, steel bikes with integrated seat tubes and mountain clipless pedals on road bikes

e-RICHIE
07-04-2013, 04:59 PM

I also don't like red Richard Sachs bikes <cut>

We'll take care of that for you soon atmo.

PS

arrange disorder

:):):p
;):p:rolleyes:
:rolleyes::rolleyes::)

phcollard
07-04-2013, 05:05 PM
I wouldn't ride this bike but I'm happy somebody does, gets in better shape, and drives his car less.

BumbleBeeDave
07-04-2013, 05:15 PM
^^ BBD's Bike? :)

. . . and I'm so ashamed. I accidentally loaded some water bottles that had a bit of red on them! :crap:

BBD

beeatnik
07-04-2013, 05:17 PM
That matchy-matchy Serotta is awesome. Is that Mavic's new 11s group? :p

CaptStash
07-04-2013, 07:22 PM
I've gotta say it. There is a local Seattle boulder who always seems to put people on "custom built" bikes with short super steep stems, citing em faster backwards. What's up with that? I hate the look!

CaptStash.....

victoryfactory
07-04-2013, 07:27 PM
I hope you trolls are happy. You even got Sandy to post!

When I see someone riding a bike that I consider ugly, it just
makes me laugh because I know somebody thinks my bike looks ugly.
It's the human condition that cracks me up.
That guy thinks his bike looks cool!

BTW There is nothing more elegant than the subtle swaged
main tubes of a steel Serotta, according to me.
VF

bicycletricycle
07-04-2013, 08:24 PM
Free bike?

We'll take care of that for you soon atmo.

PS

arrange disorder

:):):p
;):p:rolleyes:
:rolleyes::rolleyes::)

Gsinill
07-04-2013, 09:09 PM
From the color scheme, the lines, the builder... :rolleyes:

cat6
07-05-2013, 12:19 AM
Lolcat is a composite of two words, "lol" and "cat". "Lol" stands for "Laugh out Loud" or "Laughing out Loud"; hence, lolcats are intended to be funny and to include jokes

cat6
07-05-2013, 12:21 AM
Lolcat is a composite of two words, "lol" and "cat". "Lol" stands for "Laugh out Loud" or "Laughing out Loud"; hence, lolcats are intended to be funny and to include jokes

soulspinner
07-05-2013, 05:56 AM
i dislike classic road bikes converted to fixies.

+1

oldpotatoe
07-05-2013, 07:21 AM

Actually not uncommon with discs because some QR levers, if pushed all the way over, can get into thee rotor..pretty common on MTBs.

I think that bike is interesting..not ugly..not something I would want but not bad at all..altho I think single speed is kinda worthless unless you live in Florida(read-flat).

oldpotatoe
07-05-2013, 07:42 AM

Dislikes

I think 'love' is in there too. I love this ride or that. I loved the ride out of Lovorno to Pisa each day in the 90s. I loved the ride from Caans to Monaco also, even tho we got kicked out fo MonteCarlo for being on bicycles up by the casino.

The bike, it's the tool. I really like my Merckx and my new Jetta TDI wagon but I don't love them.

Yep, the posts about what color bar tape, tires, hoods, saddle..geez, I have an orange tire on my front wheel right now..and a spare..so what.