PDA

View Full Version : is it just my imagination or do you not really care about the TDF

eddief
07-03-2013, 06:52 PM
Pretty sure I don't, but never has been this quiet on the Forum that I can remember. When Lance and Levi were taking drugs I was really into it, but somehow not the same this year for me.

Elefantino
07-03-2013, 06:57 PM
We have to get up so early to watch it that most of us fall back asleep ...

Cat3roadracer
07-03-2013, 06:58 PM
You read my mind. I want to have an interest, but just don't.

HugoBear
07-03-2013, 06:59 PM
Pretty weird. I have been watching it but there are hardly any Americans in the race. All of them got busted and the new generation has not replaced them in numbers. It really gets more interesting anyways in the mountains but hasn't been that interesting yet.

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-03-2013, 07:00 PM
You read my mind. I want to have an interest, but just don't.

Plus 1.

chengher87
07-03-2013, 07:01 PM
I posted threads on medium mountain stages. But flat stages, whether they are in the Giro, Tour, Vuelta or Tour of Oman, do not interest me. When the GC battle actually starts, you'll see me posting.

gone
07-03-2013, 07:05 PM
Nope,dont care. I used to be an avid Tour follower. No more. The dopers took that from me. In years past I'd be cheering Jalabert whe he was on a long solo breakaway pulling for him to hang in until the end. Now I just say "boy, the juice must really be working today"

Don't care anymore.

terry
07-03-2013, 07:12 PM
I still like the spectacle-and I watch. I just don't care who wins.

Chance
07-03-2013, 07:21 PM
Plus 1.

Plus 2.

Don't care much about any pro sport; except maybe a little for American football. And even that is getting harder to follow. Sports and big business just don't mix well for me. Even the Olympics were more fun to watch when participants were ameteurs.

Ralph
07-03-2013, 07:34 PM
While cycling about every day is my favorite thing to do, just can't relate to what those guys do. So no, don't care about it....LA ruined it for me.

jeffreyt
07-03-2013, 07:37 PM
i don't care about pro cycling in general anymore, and it scares me. i used to love watching the tour and the spring classics, but i just have no interest anymore. not just watching, but i'm not reading the articles on cyclingnews either.

jeff

HugoBear
07-03-2013, 07:45 PM
May want to choose your words more carefully cash.

pbarry
07-03-2013, 07:53 PM
OK, so back to the race... Call me shallow, but I only pay attention when the peloton hits the mountains. When Cipollini started dropping out after the first week, I figured I was wasting my time looking at the standings before the first col.

Pro cycling is still way better than the WWF.. If LA hurt you, get over it. More and better riders will trump his charade. Vive Le Tour!

HugoBear
07-03-2013, 07:58 PM
OK, so back to the race... Call me shallow, but I only pay attention when the peloton hits the mountains. When Cipollini started dropping out after the first week, I figured I was wasting my time looking at the standings before the first col.

Pro cycling is still way better than the WWF.. If LA hurt you, get over it. More and better riders will trump his charade. Vive Le Tour!

Yes, it's always this way until they hit the hills. I'm interested to see if Teejay can do anything.

firerescuefin
07-03-2013, 07:59 PM
OK, so back to the race... Call me shallow, but I only pay attention when the peloton hits the mountains........ If LA hurt you, get over it. More and better riders will trump his charade. Vive Le Tour!

Ding Ding Ding....First week is like watching the first 4 hours of the 24 hours of Le Mans...or the first 25 laps of the Daytona 500. The only reason to watch is hoping the contenders don't get taken out in some lame crash (often time created by rigged finishes by the organizers) I don't have time to watch a bunch of meaningless (in the grand scheme of the race) stages. Background noise is really what they are until the last 5-10K.

I'll be there with bells on when they hit the hills.

cash05458
07-03-2013, 08:03 PM
well, if we are talking...wasnt a bad first week or few days...but I think the idea of this thread is how bad it is...but personally, lots of bad first weeks over the years and this was a lil better...didn't just end in sprints ect...

dave thompson
07-03-2013, 08:04 PM
the point is you may not like the tour...already a thread...you just come out here to **** on the thing when there is already a whole thread on it? then pretty much you are a fag...:eek:

I don't know you, never had any dealings with you. My opinion of you has been taken to a new low primarily because of your last two posts, which when taken with similar things you've posted here, seem to point what kind of person you may be. I sincerely hope that you are banned for being so over the top offensive.

eddief
07-03-2013, 08:05 PM
me and my boyfriend will be watching :).

Ding Ding Ding....First week is like watching the first 4 hours of the 24 hours of Le Mans...or the first 25 laps of the Daytona 500. The only reason to watch is hoping the contenders get taken out in some lame crash (often time created by rigged finishes by the organizers) I don't have time to watch a bunch of meaningless (in the grand scheme of the race) stages. Background noise is really what they are until the last 5-10K.

I'll be there with bells on when they hit the hills.

bluesea
07-03-2013, 08:06 PM

bobswire
07-03-2013, 08:08 PM
me and my boyfriend will be watching :).

Now that was funny.

AngryScientist
07-03-2013, 08:12 PM
i cleaned up this thread a bit. we certainly dont appreciate behavior as cash was just exhibiting. he's banned for a while now.

twangston73
07-03-2013, 08:21 PM
Appreciate the cleanup but back to the original point, I have been watching and enjoying it a lot this year. I used to focus more on the GC - and folks are right, nothing has happened there so far, but now I enjoy seeing somebody bust out a good effort to win a stage or a sprint; it is a big deal to them and the competition sure seems real to me. (Plus, the scenery is nice). I understand why some may feel alienated given all the malarkey for the past years but, for whatever reason, I don't. Maybe it is because I never liked Lance that much in the first place so his fall does not leave me disaffected. I say it is still a good show.

Gsinill
07-03-2013, 08:29 PM
Was actually thinking about watching but now after Jan Ullrich finally came out with the truth a few days ago, I just lost interest.. Not that this was any surprise but somehow it did it for me (again).

dawgie
07-03-2013, 08:40 PM
The dopers have ruined pro cycling for me. I quit watching after the Floyd Landis debacle a few years ago. His breakaway stage win was so inspiring and then such a let down after the truth came out, that I swore off the TDF. I just don't care any more. If they are all doping, then the enforcement is very selective and unfair. If it's just the leaders or selected individuals, then the competition itself is not fair.

It's too bad. I used to really enjoy watching the TDF, particularly the mtn stages.

pbarry
07-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Learning there was no Tooth Fairy or Santa Claus was harder. People are just folks, flaws and all. Do you love the riders or the sport more?

slidey
07-03-2013, 08:49 PM
Weird how slang becomes mainstream; the more offensive it is, the more easily it is adopted. There used to be a time when gay meant just being happy and fags were merely a slang for cigarettes!

Clearly, the TdF isn't occupying enough space at the front of my mind...especially since I'm getting shafted at even the fantasy game :cool:

Speaking of which, can anyone give me the mini league code for BF Paceline? I don't believe I have that, and it seems there are a lot many more members there than any other Paceline mini-league.

Fishbike
07-03-2013, 09:06 PM
I have been enjoying it, notwithstanding the very dark cloud that still consumes the sport. I love the scenery, the strategy, the human interest stories and the massive ordeal of completing each stage. I (still) just really enjoy watching professional riders ride their bikes. I like it in part because in some tiny way I can relate. Yeah I know decades of doping has tarnished and probably still does tarnish the results, but I find a lot of pure entertainment in Le Tour.

joosttx
07-03-2013, 09:12 PM
I am enjoying it. There seems to be fewer crashes (stage one and maybe today's come to mind) this year which is great.

djg21
07-03-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm happy with highlights. I like to see the strategy develop, the crucial moves and the finish (not to mention the morbid curiosity we all have when it comes to crashes). But video of the pros pedaling along for hours, interspersed with countless human interest pieces, gets pretty boring.

technicolor
07-03-2013, 09:45 PM
I care. I love watching it.

joosttx
07-03-2013, 09:49 PM
I'm happy with highlights. I like to see the strategy develop, the crucial moves and the finish (not to mention the morbid curiosity we all have when it comes to crashes). But video of the pros pedaling along for hours, interspersed with countless human interest pieces, gets pretty boring.

I write this with all sincerity, the full 4 hours of tour coverage is excellent for naps.

bluesea
07-03-2013, 09:53 PM
I loss the romance of the grand tours after watching the '95 Giro on TV, where they showed Tony Rominger taking a pee and obviously splashing all over his leg, bike, and everywhere else. Pro riders are little more than human, and now I feel all grown up for knowing that.

blessthismess
07-03-2013, 09:56 PM
I think it's okay, yeah the mountain stages are some of the more interesting parts but to be honest I just never really got into it. This has nothing to do with doping or LA or anything like that it just never grabbed me. The fact that I don't have television probably isn't helping anything either. To each his own. If you like/liked the tour, giro etc then enjoy it, don't let the doping mess or some of the riders ruin it for you:)

rustychisel
07-03-2013, 10:02 PM
I write this with all sincerity, the full 4 hours of tour coverage is excellent for naps.

It's true, and I'm enjoying it. Down here the coverage starts at 10.30pm, usually showing the last 100 ~ 120km of a road stage, and concludes about 12.30. Makes for a long day, but good for post - dinner naps etc.

I'd have thought you need a hard heart not to like the touristy aspects of the race rolling through Provence. Not mention seeing Sagan suffering like a real person (what's up with that???)... yes, I know he crashed a few days ago.

Lurch
07-03-2013, 10:07 PM
I DVR it, fast forward through commercials, pay a lot of attention when they show scenery and historic sights, and listen to it in the background while I surf the web.

I always have pulled for the underdogs, so I'm missing guys like Horner and Husholvd this year. No more big George Hincapie to make courageous attacks at really dumb times and miss out on a possible win for no good reason.

I like the closer, tighter, cleaner races. The superhuman displays were interesting, but unbelievable. Give me tight sprint groupings with crashes. They're good for waking me from my nap for the first 3/4 of the stage. :)

Rudy
07-03-2013, 10:21 PM
I appreciated the first three stages this year. Road racing from day one in place of the typical prologue TT. Also, I had no idea Corsica has alpine terrain!

metalheart
07-03-2013, 11:22 PM
I care. I love watching it.

me too

jlwdm
07-04-2013, 12:13 AM
I have not watched much this year. Too much work and I just moved and don't have a DVR right now.

I caught some of Stage 2 and thought it was great. I love the mountains but there is so much to appreciate in every stage if you are a cyclist. Watching the team work and efforts in Stage 2 to get rid of the sprinters on the one climb and the chasing down of the break at the end was exciting. Doping or no doping these are tremendous riders with unbelievable bike handling skills.

The strength of the teams in the Tour makes it so superior to the Giro. The Giro might have steep climbs, but the competition pales to the Tour.

I have been watching the Tour for many years and never tire of it. I went on a 14 day bike tour for the end of the 2001 Tour and it is an experience I will always cherish.

Most Americans might question why would you spend hours on the course waiting on the side of the road to watch the riders ride past for a short period of time. If you go to the morning sign-in, ride part of the day's course, enjoy the sponsors caravan, watch on the huge TVs on the course and then watch the riders come by it is a marvelous experience.

All cyclists should take what they can get from one of the greatest sporting events in the world.

Jeff

Jaq
07-04-2013, 12:43 AM
Yeah, just not excited about the Tour this year. I'd like to see their viewership numbers; I hope they're up, but I'm sensing a bit of malaise. For me, a good bit of it has to do with LA and the fall-out. I don't hate the guy, and he didn't ruin the sport for me in any way. None of the dopers have.

But, over the last few months, I've found myself often trying to explain various aspects of the scandals to non-cyclists. And since all the LA & other doper coverage has repeatedly sensationalized the worst aspects of cycling, I find myself wanting a rest - especially from Le Tour. I'm not fed up or disgusted, just a little worn out. I'll be back next year.

In the mean time, I'm enjoying the hell out of Jens's daily blog - so I guess I'm following the Tour anyway. But it's mother****ing Jens Voigt. What's not to like?

PQJ
07-04-2013, 01:20 AM
Don't care. First I saw of it was the end of yesterday's stage but only because I happened to pass by it while flipping thru channels. I used to make an effort to watch pro cycling but yesterday a documentary about Nepal in a language I don't speak was more interesting.

bart998
07-04-2013, 01:38 AM
Actually I'm enjoying it more this year. I get the sense that it's more of a wide open race and not just between two or three "big" riders. I love it when a dark horse like Bakelants wins a stage. Cavendish is even growing on me a bit...

victoryfactory
07-04-2013, 05:38 AM
Guys...
Just like bike racing in general, the way we watch the tour was skewed
by the American style high tech over doped years.
Think back to 1999. Even many avid cyclists in the US didnt follow le tour
stage by stage. The arrival of an American superstar brought more
coverage and interest here.
The word spread as the novelty of a US rider in yellow brought new
interest and advertizing money. And a new sport was discovered here.

Before 1999 you couldn't even find video coverage of the tour!

Now people are complaining that they have lost interest in the ability to
watch HD coverage of (almost) every mile of every stage?
hmmmm.

This is the legacy of Lance and the years of "Big Dope" and I thank them
all for their contribution.
Now that we are trying to come out the other end of a dark tunnel,
I will cherish every minute of every race that they broadcast.
That doesn't mean I will actually watch all the boring bits, but I do
remember what it was like before 1999.

When you blame the doping for why you aren't interested anymore in
pro cycling you are giving up. I understand the anger and insult.
But when we are all done grieving and pouting about it I really hope
cycling will build on the new visibility and marketability it has gained here.
and flourish!

It's still a great sport and the TDF is its Super Bowl. Have a beer and
some chips and think about what it was like trying to find out what was
happening with Lemond in the old days (If you're old enough)

VF

carpediemracing
07-04-2013, 06:38 AM
speaking of which, can anyone give me the mini league code for bf paceline?

soulspinner
07-04-2013, 06:47 AM
Guys...

hmmmm.

and flourish!

VF

Here here!!!

oldpotatoe
07-04-2013, 07:16 AM
We have to get up so early to watch it that most of us fall back asleep ...

Yep...

harlond
07-04-2013, 07:37 AM
Even the Olympics were more fun to watch when participants were ameteurs.The pre-Jim Thorpe era was the best.

jr59
07-04-2013, 07:38 AM
Guys...

hmmmm.

and flourish!

VF

Well done!!!!

:hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:

Bikerist
07-04-2013, 07:39 AM
I plan to watch some of it. When does it start?

victoryfactory
07-04-2013, 08:03 AM
I plan to watch some of it. When does it start?

On July 14th

Elefantino
07-04-2013, 09:00 AM
Guys...

hmmmm.

and flourish!

VF
Chapeau ...

enr1co
07-04-2013, 09:36 AM
I started following cycling in the 80's when I would only look at daily sports page during Giro and Tour season with hopes of finding a ~2"x 2" print of the most current stage results/ GC buried under all the miscellaneous baseball box scores.

So, yes, I'm grateful for TdF and any cyclcing coverage available.

bobswire
07-04-2013, 09:55 AM
There is a wise old saying, don't throw the baby out with the bath water.

mktng
07-04-2013, 10:03 AM
show your not caring spirit.
i'll be rocking mine this weekend.

http://defendlance.bigcartel.com/product/defend-lance-t-shirt

fiataccompli
07-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Hasn't doping and cheating always been part of the story? I concur with the post above...(I think this is what it was saying in part)...the LA and big US marketing era did give us all more options for watching. Me? I am interested.

Grant McLean
07-04-2013, 11:08 AM

The Tour has been broadcast in the USA, daily since 1991.
ESPN did a daily half hour show, plus longer weekend live coverage.
I have every minute of it, so if you could not find it on video,
you can come to my house and watch my tapes!

-g

enr1co
07-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Originally Posted by victoryfactory
Guys...

hmmmm.

and flourish!

VF

Well done!!!!

:hello::hello::hello::hello::hello:

Right on!

Elefantino
07-04-2013, 11:50 AM
Another great thing about watching the TdF: The NBC Sports theme music composed by fellow forumite hairylegs!

enr1co
07-04-2013, 11:59 AM
Another great thing about watching the TdF: The NBC Sports theme music composed by fellow forumite hairylegs!

Cool! Anyone w/ music composing, instrumental talent ranks high in my books :)

Which ones or can you provide the soundbyte links?

victoryfactory
07-04-2013, 12:30 PM
Hasn't doping and cheating always been part of the story? I concur with the post above...(I think this is what it was saying in part)...the LA and big US marketing era did give us all more options for watching. Me? I am interested.

Yes, it has. apparently. But when Big Tex (and others) brought in the
era of Big Dope amplified by US style corporate hi tech innovation
and had so much success,
The "dirty little secret" in which teams, riders sponsors and even
organizations were complicit for years became a giant 500 lb gorilla
that had to be dealt with.

Hopefully, the lesson has been learned.
To paraphrase bobswire, "Don't throw the chain out with the degreaser"

VF

victoryfactory
07-04-2013, 12:31 PM

-g

That is impressive!
yo!

Hindmost
07-04-2013, 02:48 PM

-g

In 1989 there was no same day anything. You could follow the race in the newspaper that would print standings the following day. I can clearly recall on the last Sunday afternoon of the Tour, the local classical radio station--a station that never broadcast sporting news--announcing that Greg Lemond had won the TDF.

slidey
07-04-2013, 02:59 PM
Man, that's a heck of a lot of video tapes. How have you been storing the more recent years of the TdF (2000 - present)? Surely not videotapes, still.

-g

cycle_chic
07-04-2013, 04:20 PM
I've watched the Tour on TV every day so far. I'll only catch the last hour or so of each stage, but it has become a daily ritual. So much fun to yell at the TV during a bunch sprint. Ha.

Then I download the ITV podcast when that gets posted at about 10 p.m. Great to hear some commentary and interviews in English!

Edited to add: Also, I think the atmosphere over here (especially in France) makes it hard not to get excited about the Tour. I was in Montpellier a few days ago for work and went to visit the Town Hall. They had a photo exhibit of the Tour, as well as computrainers for groups of school children to race on. Of course, I had to have a go!

Grant McLean
07-04-2013, 04:45 PM
In 1989 there was no same day anything. You could follow the race in the newspaper that would print standings the following day. I can clearly recall on the last Sunday afternoon of the Tour, the local classical radio station--a station that never broadcast sporting news--announcing that Greg Lemond had won the TDF.

No same day coverage, but ABC Wide World of Sports did weekend coverage
for the 3 weeks of the race, starting in (I think) 1984.

Here's a link to Phil Ligget calling the 1988 Alpe D'Huez stage for ABC.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTHhWf6BSEM

I still have a tape with about 90 minutes of the 1989 Tour.

-g

Grant McLean
07-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Man, that's a heck of a lot of video tapes. How have you been storing the more recent years of the TdF (2000 - present)? Surely not videotapes, still.

some habits die hard.

I gave up in 2010, mostly because Phil & Paul drive me crazy,
and a dozen tapes per tour was taking up too much space.
Now I just download the stages with the feed from Eurosport.

-g

pbarry
07-04-2013, 05:14 PM
I've watched the Tour on TV every day so far. I'll only catch the last hour or so of each stage, but it has become a daily ritual. So much fun to yell at the TV during a bunch sprint. Ha.

Then I download the ITV podcast when that gets posted at about 10 p.m. Great to hear some commentary and interviews in English!

Edited to add: Also, I think the atmosphere over here (especially in France) makes it hard not to get excited about the Tour. I was in Montpellier a few days ago for work and went to visit the Town Hall. They had a photo exhibit of the Tour, as well as computrainers for groups of school children to race on. Of course, I had to have a go!

Awesome image! Especially the foreground.

Montpellier and Marseilles are both beutiful cities that American tourists often miss on their grand tours.

Elefantino
07-04-2013, 05:40 PM
Cool! Anyone w/ music composing, instrumental talent ranks high in my books :)

Which ones or can you provide the soundbyte links?
I thought I'd posted it earlier but the post disappeared.

Go to YouTube and search for "Cody Westheimer" and "Tour de France."

Full disclosure: In July, it's my cell's ringtone.

pbarry
07-04-2013, 06:19 PM
The official Tour site is good: Routes/teams/current standings/daily video re-caps.

http://www.letour.fr/le-tour/2013/us/

Lurch
07-04-2013, 06:20 PM
some habits die hard.

-g

Forum should chip in with a yard sale to get you a VHS to DVD recorder. You'd gain a whole additional room in your house. :)

bobswire
07-04-2013, 09:39 PM
some habits die hard.

-g

Grant, I'll bet you have quite a book collection. As someone suggested you need to get those put to disc.

Llewellyn
07-05-2013, 12:25 AM
It's generally only stages with hills and mountains that really interest me, but I still look at the other stages and remain thankful to SBS for showing every stage. And for showing any cycling at all, even if it does have P & P doing commentary.

If it wasn't for SBS getting behind cycling, we wouldn't get to see any of it on TV in this country.

rustychisel
07-05-2013, 12:58 AM
Back in Hinault's day we got 2 week old black n white newsprint and carrier pigeons. Eff the whingers.

oldpotatoe
07-05-2013, 07:31 AM
It's true, and I'm enjoying it. Down here the coverage starts at 10.30pm, usually showing the last 100 ~ 120km of a road stage, and concludes about 12.30. Makes for a long day, but good for post - dinner naps etc.

I'd have thought you need a hard heart not to like the touristy aspects of the race rolling through Provence. Not mention seeing Sagan suffering like a real person (what's up with that???)... yes, I know he crashed a few days ago.

tee-hee....reality, what a concept.

54ny77
07-05-2013, 04:09 PM
been enjoying some the nbc high def late night race coverage (recap) when time permits. 'round here it's on at 11 pm or so.

hey, it's the toor dee france, the scenery amazing and the bike racing pretty darned cool.