PDA

View Full Version : What's Up With Pegoretti?

cinelli
12-16-2005, 02:58 PM
I have heard for some time now that Pegoretti builds
wonderful frames and he is considered one of the
masters. I also see a dispropotional number of
Pegoretti frames show up for sale....either here or
on eBay or other sites.

My question is: If Pegorettis are as nice as they are
said to be, why are so many changing hands? Rarely
do you see a Sachs or Spectrum up for sale
(especially in my size) but the Pegoretti used market
seems to be "non-stop".

e-RICHIE
12-16-2005, 03:06 PM
where do you see them?
as of yesterday, there were none on ebay.
dario-issimo is the man; mebbe folks wanna
keep getting his newest creations and "trade
up" every year or two. why not?

hey - thanks for reading.

e-RICHIE©™®

Sandy
12-16-2005, 03:33 PM
From what everyone says, Sachs, Spectrum, and Pegoretti are all exceptional bikes. I don't think that you would see as many Sachs or Spectrums for sale simply as a function of numbers. Sachs and Spectrum bikes are produced in such limited numbers. I would think that there a lot more Pegoretti bikes produced than Sachs and Spectrums combined. Doesn't Pegoretti produce stock geometry bikes? Sachs and Spectrum are all custom, I would think. Spectrum is a 2 man operation (Merlin producing custom titanium frames for Spectrum using Spectrum design specs), and isn't Sachs a 1 man operation? Pegoretti isn't, I assume.

e-RICHIE would be able to comment on the above. He would be able to correct any errors in what I stated above.

Spectrum Sachs Serotta Sandy

bcm119
12-16-2005, 03:38 PM
I smell a chimeric twin joke...

e-RICHIE
12-16-2005, 03:43 PM
e-RICHIE would be able to comment on the above. He would be able to correct any errors in what I stated above.

Spectrum Sachs Serotta Sandy

i betchoo tk and i together make 1/5 of the annual production
of frames that dario-issimo makes. btw, so what?

Climb01742
12-16-2005, 03:48 PM
i'll throw out a theory...one based on some personal experience...dario's bike's are uncompromised...the marcelo is a full-on steel race bike...the fina is a full-on alu racing rig...a cckmp is a full-on climbing rig...anything full-on will, by its nature, appeal to a relatively small audience. folks buy 'em and discover that they may not be in that small group. for example, i sold my fina because while it was, hands down, the most wicked acceleration machine i've ever ridden, it was simply too stiff for my tastes--not too harsh (cause it was steel smooth riding) but too stiff. on the other hand, i have two cckmps, because i am in the small group of folks who love hard-core full-on climbing machines. my theory (and it may be just that) is that many bikes are a collection of compromises, and can appeal to many riders. dario builds no-compromise bikes, purpose-specific bikes. folks get 'em. some love 'em. some realize that dario's purpose and their purpose don't match. so they move on. no one is wrong, just very specific tastes. dario isn't everyone's flavor. a fina wasn't mine. a cckmp really is. hope this helps.

lnomalley
12-16-2005, 03:49 PM
cinelli,

The assumption that selling a frame sugggests that it is inadequate is just very flawed logic. Pegs hold their value, and the reasons for selling a frame can vary in ways that have nothing to do with lack of quality. I tend to flip bikes every couple of years no matter how much I LOVE (I've ridden 5 different frame sin the last 3 years and am looking down the barrel of number 6) them.. oftentimes to replace with a newer frame from the same maker.. just to keep myself interested. I like to tweak things and play around with materials just to keep from feeling stale.

by the way (this reminds me).. if anyone wants to buy a rarely used 54.5 cm tt alum carbon orbea altec with an oval fork and (new) ovalstem. the bike was a back up for last year's season and was only used in a couple of tt stages. never crashed.. cheap... great race rig... drop me a line.

Sandy
12-16-2005, 05:07 PM
i betchoo tk and i together make 1/5 of the annual production
of frames that dario-issimo makes. btw, so what?

So you wouldn't expect to see as many Sachs or Spectrum bikes for sale.

I would assume that the limited custom production and the remarkable admiration for Sachs and Spectrum bikes would also add to their limited number of resales, at a disproportionate rate even compared to Pegorettis. Am I wrong?

Sandy

e-RICHIE
12-16-2005, 05:09 PM
So you wouldn't expect to see as many Sachs or Spectrum bikes for sale.

I would assume that the limited custom production and the remarkable admiration for Sachs and Spectrum bikes would also add to their limited number of resales, at a disproportionate rate even compared to Pegorettis. Am I wrong?

Sandy

pegoretti-san is also limted and admired.
we simply make fewer units than he does.

Grant McLean
12-16-2005, 05:17 PM

Richie-issimo,

Maybe Dario should make more frequent posts here on the forum
so he slows down a bit?

Dario _is_ the man, and I'd love to get a Marcelo, and this might be the year.
I wonder what is the average number of bikes owned by a Peg customer?

If you sell your Pegoretti, just remember:

I’ve seen your picture
Your name in lights above it
This is your big debut
It’s like a dream come true
And when you smile for the camera
I know they’re gonna love it

I like your pin shot
I keep it with your letter
Done up in blueprint blue
It sure looks good on you
So won’t you smile for the camera
I know I’ll love you better

Peg
It will come back to you
Peg
It will come back to you
Then the shutter falls
You see it all in 3-d
It’s your favorite foreign movie

-gee

12-16-2005, 05:23 PM
Listen to Richard. It's mostly numbers. Plus the wait times tend to eliminate casual buyers.

But even more than that, it's that people simply sell stuff. Period. Why do Cezannes, Manets, Monets, Renoirs, and the like come up for sale all the time -- are they being sold because they are any lesser in quality? Heck, Confentes come up for sale from time to time and Nagasawas aren't uncommon on eBay. Numbers are further distorted when good bikes are purchased because someone can afford the best, but the buyer simply isn't as committed to the sport (and the bike). So a fair number of superlative bikes come up for sale (check out camera equipment if you want to see this behavior in spades). Quantities of a brand sold on eBay and quality of those bikes don't have a very high correlation coefficient.

e-RICHIE
12-16-2005, 05:24 PM
Listen to Richard.

yeah what 11.4-issimo wrote.

Sandy
12-16-2005, 05:27 PM

I thought that is exactly what I said in post #3.

Sandy

e-RICHIE
12-16-2005, 05:29 PM
I thought that is exactly what I said in post #3.

Sandy

you did.
i like to comment.

cinelli
12-16-2005, 05:41 PM
where do you see them?
as of yesterday, there were none on ebay.
dario-issimo is the man; mebbe folks wanna
keep getting his newest creations and "trade
up" every year or two. why not?

hey - thanks for reading.

e-RICHIE©™®

Check the classifieds here for the latest Peg
for sale.

shaq-d
12-16-2005, 05:46 PM
if sachsissisisismimo's 1/5th-guesstimate is anywhere near correct, then peg has 5x as many frames out there. i'm pretty sure i see less than 5x as many peg frames for sale.. anyway it's all speculation of the speculative kind.. people buy shares for an obvious reason, but sell for any number..

sd

malcolm
12-16-2005, 06:04 PM
The peg I have in the classifieds here is absolutely beautiful. It was purchased with one thought in mind and before I built it up I changed my mind and will probably be using the components on a marcelo. I will entertain reasonable offers.

jerk
12-16-2005, 06:12 PM
some people just don't deserve the best and they realize it.....

jerk

actually, they're aren't that many ever for sale. this community in particular is into them more than most; or at least knowledgeable about them.

believe you the jerk, a pegoretti is a bike for life.

any one want to buy a nice time vxrs? never had its seatmast cut.....

jerk

zap
12-16-2005, 10:22 PM
Actually, I've seen a few for sale too.

Used and new.

Almost bought one too.

Just to see if Pegs are worthy as some say.

But have a new, multi shaped, carbon project that I'm working on.

Maybe next time.

jerk
12-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Actually, I've seen a few for sale too.

Used and new.

Almost bought one too.

Just to see if Pegs are worthy as some say.

But have a new, multi shaped, carbon project that I'm working on.

Maybe next time.

it's bed time...don't leave the jerk hanging. what's your project?

cs124
12-16-2005, 10:38 PM
ain't never seen a used one for sale in anything near my size...seems like all the world rides a 57

iPaul
12-17-2005, 08:06 AM
I'm currently on a 8:30 and have found it to be a great bike. The fit is dead on and the ride is so smooth, better than many carbon frames I have ridden. The only reason one would see this frame on ebay would be to upgrade for a Love#3.

Fixed
12-17-2005, 08:19 AM
bro I seem to remember some trip you can go on stay at the cats house go ride cut some tubes sand some tubes go ride drink some wine and eat stay a couple of days and bring a new peg back home with you (.before i was a messenger i worked in my dad's machine shop god bless his soul a great man the best man I ever knew I loved those days) anyway that sounds like a great trip to me does he still offer that trip to you rich dudes?

terry b
12-17-2005, 11:58 AM
cinelli,

Pegs hold their value, and the reasons for selling a frame can vary in ways that have nothing to do with lack of quality

Maybe some of them do, but they all don't.

I picked up my Fina on eBay for $1100, brand new - interbike show bike that was sitting around a dealer waiting for a good home. I watch for his bikes all the time, here and on our favorite auction house, and I have never seen one sell for anything close to list. In fact, I've seen Finas go on sold on at least a half-dozen occasions, bidding barely breaking $1000.

I have an alternate theory - people read the raves in forums like this, ride them and then find out the raves don't match their experience. Nothing to do with quality, which is very, very nice. At least, that's what happened with me. At the same time, I'll never turn it over simply because the Ayer's Rock paint job is so wonderful to look at. It's a great piece of eye-candy, a good conversation starter, fun to ride but not mythical in any ride-quality or performance categories.

Climb01742
12-17-2005, 12:17 PM
to you rich dudes?

care to rephrase that? or are generalizations ok as long as you add bro?

e-RICHIE
12-17-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally Posted by Fixed:
"...to you rich dudes?"

care to rephrase that? or are generalizations ok as long as you add bro?

he meant me, e-RICH.
e-RICH©™®

bluesea
12-17-2005, 12:41 PM
I have an alternate theory - people read the raves in forums like this, ride them and then find out the raves don't match their experience. Nothing to do with quality, which is very, very nice. At least, that's what happened with me. At the same time, I'll never turn it over simply because the Ayer's Rock paint job is so wonderful to look at. It's a great piece of eye-candy, a good conversation starter, fun to ride but not mythical in any ride-quality or performance categories.

How exactly did it not meet your built-up expectations?

Fixed
12-17-2005, 01:40 PM
bro ain't no bike mess. makin 30k a year goin on that trip you talk'n some major jack for that build -your- peg trip but how about our own home grown man e-richie doing something like that . bro i bet there is a super 8 down from your house we could stay at .cheers :beer: merry christmas :fight: :beer:

Hysbrian
12-17-2005, 01:48 PM
E-richie rich! Bro

terry b
12-17-2005, 02:04 PM
How exactly did it not meet your built-up expectations?

I read the glowing reports - rides like steel, lightweight racing rig - etc. I expected to feel a "wow", I didn't. It's a nice, serviceable aluminum bike. For me, no magic steel ride, not a lightweight at 20 lbs. with Chorus, stiff enough to get you going. It's a good bike, but in my experience hardly exceptional which is why I'm glad I got it for a bargain price.

Compare that to Moots - I heard glowing reports and I mounted my jaded butt on it and was pretty impressed. Without wasting time writing a review worthy of ArtForum , let's just say that after dozens of bikes and thousands of miles, my Vamoots feels special every time I ride it. The Peg doesn't. It doesn't position itself ahead of my Fondriest or my Casati, both nice, serviceable aluminum bikes.

bshell
12-17-2005, 09:26 PM
hey all,

i would just love to know the pronunciation of dario's last name, if any of you know.

is it Peg or Pej sounding?

thanks a bunch

amg
12-17-2005, 11:08 PM
hey all,

i would just love to know the pronunciation of dario's last name, if any of you know.

is it Peg or Pej sounding?

thanks a bunch

It's Peg.

Antonio
Serotta Forum Italian Translator :p

shinomaster
12-17-2005, 11:46 PM
What the hell is up with Forum members???? How many of you rant and rave about you "new" porsche bebe csi or legend...only to sell it a few months later, so you have room in your garage, and money to buy that new Sachs, or Peg or Gios 50th aniversary frame?
I guess If I had any money I'd do the same thing? But would I?? If I waited three years for a Sachs....I just don't get it...Do you guys go through girlfriends as fast? :confused:

shinomaster
12-18-2005, 01:45 AM
How dare you. How dare you insinuate that there in in fact a problem, a problem with the way in which Dario Pegoretti Welds together and designs his lovely toy bicycles. As if.
Just kidding...I have never thrown a leg over anything better than a caad 4. ;)

christian
12-18-2005, 03:53 PM
I have a Palosanto. I find the Palosanto meets all my expectations of all the forum postings. It rocks, and always wants to go faster.

If I got a pink "Why Not?" Marcelo, I would sell my Palosanto. Man, I want a pink "Why Not?" Marcelo. Sooooo bad.

- Christian