PDA

View Full Version : regarding that fine Moots setback post in the classifieds

eddief
07-02-2013, 09:44 PM
makes me wonder why Thomson doesn't/can't apply the gentle curve approach rather than the kinked approach to making their setback seatpost? Is there a reason you can do this with Ti and not with aluminum?
Wouldn't way more people buy the Thomson setback if it looked more fluid?

bluesea
07-02-2013, 09:56 PM
Thomson has heretofore staked their name on CNC-ing blocks of material.

thirdgenbird
07-02-2013, 10:07 PM
I'm probably in the minority, but I went with a Thomson over a Deda because I felt the kink fit the build.

Curved stem with curved seatpost, angled stem with angled post:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/Mexico/D434ACA8-F179-45AD-BD98-BEA1DB12C6B1-2946-000003B5DBCC2B72_zpsc5fe024c.jpg

I think the Thomson post also look good on modern bikes with a level TT and -17 stem.

fogrider
07-02-2013, 10:11 PM
makes me wonder why Thomson doesn't/can't apply the gentle curve approach rather than the kinked approach to making their setback seatpost? Is there a reason you can do this with Ti and not with aluminum?

when nahbs was in sacamento last year I asked the guy at the thomson booth about it and he said that aluminum was different and that with the equipment they were working with, they couldn't do it, the kink was the only way. but they were looking at how they could do it.

eddief
07-02-2013, 10:14 PM
The bike in that last photo seems just right with that post.

I'm probably in the minority, but I went with a Thomson over a Deda because I felt the kink fit the build.

Curved stem with curved seatpost, angled stem with angled post:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk177/thirdgenbird/Mexico/D434ACA8-F179-45AD-BD98-BEA1DB12C6B1-2946-000003B5DBCC2B72_zpsc5fe024c.jpg

I think the Thomson post also look good on modern bikes with a level TT and -17 stem.

Lurch
07-02-2013, 11:08 PM
when nahbs was in sacamento last year I asked the guy at the thomson booth about it and he said that aluminum was different and that with the equipment they were working with, they couldn't do it, the kink was the only way. but they were looking at how they could do it.

There's an aweful lot of CNC'd aluminum auto rims that make me scratch my head on that?:confused:

thirdgenbird
07-03-2013, 12:37 AM
There's an aweful lot of CNC'd aluminum auto rims that make me scratch my head on that?:confused:

An auto wheel is just a straight tube with a flare (bead) on each end and reinforcements (spokes) in the center. It is nothing like trying to cnc a radiused seatpost. intake runners are a better example but these are typically either cast (metal) or molded (plastic)

I'm not a machinest but I think you could cnc a radiused seatpost. The problem is the machining time (cost) would likely be exponentially higher than their current method.

Edit: Porsche and possibly others have sold wheels with hollow radiused spokes but these wheels were first either cast or forged into their shape. (Pretty sure hollow Porsche twists are cast)

If i am thinking right, to cnc a curved seatpost, the macine would have to constantly change the center point on two planes while still maintaining a constant diameter. Can any machinests chime in?

Marburg
07-03-2013, 12:51 AM

I'd +1 that. Or at least the choice of a setback straight post with Thomson quality (and, let's face it a pretty good price). Then again there are other fish in the sea

Fishbike
07-03-2013, 07:09 AM
Besides the unusual look, I have not been able to fit the Thomson setback post in a couple of my (small) level TT frames where I needed the post to slide in the seat tube beyond the kink.

oldpotatoe
07-03-2013, 07:24 AM
Besides the unusual look, I have not been able to fit the Thomson setback post in a couple of my (small) level TT frames where I needed the post to slide in the seat tube beyond the kink.

But you 'may' have the same issue with any seatpost that has the setback in the shaft rather than the head of the seatpost, like Moots and erickson..