PDA

View Full Version : Driving cross-country with a bike on the roof

RacerJRP
07-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Has anybody done this? I am worried about driving through storms and the bike getting wet and then air dried repeatedly for 30 hours.

Debating on roof or just spending the Benny to ship it out to myself.

Thoughts?

Birddog
07-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Has anybody done this? I am worried about driving through storms and the bike getting wet and then air dried repeatedly for 30 hours.

Debating on roof or just spending the Benny to ship it out to myself.

Thoughts?

You say that as if you believe the "shipper" will be more conscientious than Mother Nature.

MattTuck
07-02-2013, 04:58 PM
Drove Boston to Seattle. Planned to have the bikes on the roof, but was worried by a very windy section in upstate NY and put the bikes inside the car. Kept them in the car for the rest of the trip. This was good because we ran into lots of t-storms and rain storms along the way. Especially in Iowa.

If you have room in the car, I'd put 'em inside. If not, and you don't plan to do any riding along the way, then I'd probably ship. Just one less thing you need to worry about on your drive.

kramnnim
07-02-2013, 05:09 PM
Roof rack alone lowered my fuel mileage by 10%...wonder how much a bike would affect it?

RacerJRP
07-02-2013, 05:09 PM
My CX bike will make the trip on the roof, with chain removed. its a 1x10 and it was built to get sloppy anyway.

The bike I am worried about is my #1 race bike at the moment with a pretty top flight build. I guess that one will go into a box and make its way out through FedEx or UPS.

Definitely no room in the car. minimal life essentials, lots of bike/ ski equipment! ;)

RacerJRP
07-02-2013, 05:11 PM
^ I have a THULE box up there along with the bike. I did a 7hr drive to VT last winter with a LOADED! car and a box on the roof. Still averaged 29mpg in my mazda3!

noahgenda
07-02-2013, 05:37 PM
I drove 4000 miles with my roadie on my roof rack
No issues
I try not to look at it too much because of the slight wobble at speed, its nerve racking!

MattTuck
07-02-2013, 05:48 PM
One other comment depending on the season that you're going...

If you are going during the summer, you should probably be more concerned about bugs than rain. 3,500 miles at 70mph.... lots of bug splatter.

I'd get some pipe insulation from the hardware store if it was on the roof, and tape it in place to protect the head tube, seat post, and fork legs.

temeyone
07-02-2013, 06:35 PM
You can also get one of those covers that deflects bugs/rain, or at least keeps them from nailing your sweet ride full-speed at 70+

Steve in SLO
07-02-2013, 06:42 PM
You can also get one of those covers that deflects bugs/rain, or at least keeps them from nailing your sweet ride full-speed at 70+

I have a lycra cover and it works great. I've driven lots of miles with my bike on top of my car with nary an issue, and I don't drive slow.
One thing: make sure your bike is fairly clean of gunk and grease and start out with a fairly dry chain or it can drip lube onto your roof, esp after a rain shower.

HenryA
07-02-2013, 06:42 PM
Take both wheels off, wrap the frame in a drop cloth or old blanket and then lay that on top of your luggage inside the vehicle, wheels on top of the wrapped bike. Carry it into the hotel at night. Much lesser theft and damage worry that way.

OTOH:
If it does get wet and then air dried its not gonna kill it.

gone
07-02-2013, 06:44 PM

Been there, done that. Gas mileage went from 31 MPG average to 17 MPG average. Those covers are full on sails even if you're not fighting a headwind.

I've done a number of long drives (1500+ miles) with one or more bikes on the roof. It doesn't destroy them though they will arrive covered in s$it. A half hour or so cleanup and you're good to go.

If you've got room inside of course that's better but if you don't put 'em up top but be ready for lower fuel economy and a long cleanup session when you arrive.

norcalbiker
07-02-2013, 06:56 PM
I would take the bike apart as much as I can for easy storage inside. Wheels, handlebar, seatpost, pedals, etc....

Elefantino
07-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Just drove across country with a Thule box and the Serotta on the roof rack of the van. From Florida to California we did 20+ mpg, which is about what we'd get when we'd put four bikes up for regional trips.

Wrapped the Handlebra (http://handlebra.com/)® and the saddle in Saran wrap. The rest was left to the elements, of which there weren't many.

AngryScientist
07-02-2013, 07:22 PM
if you're worried about it, get one of these, throw a sleeping bag in for padding and the frame inside. done it many times, works great. front wheel off obviously.

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRgtymnlPjDQR7erEjIQbLw41Mgt3mgd dMeFjK_VOD944_CNpaC4A

branflakes
07-02-2013, 07:46 PM
it's a matter of the cost-benefit analysis. how much did the bike cost? what benefit will be served with it on the roof for 3k mi? if the bike won't see use until the final destination, it sounds like the 'benny' is well worth the peace of mind. you wouldn't be here asking if you already had that.

Louis
07-02-2013, 08:14 PM
The cost of fuel saved (assuming no space inside the vehicle) should cover the cost of shipping. I say inside the car or inside a box.

charliedid
07-02-2013, 08:46 PM
Many times...

Fork mount racks only.

That's what they are for, why should it be a problem?

Have fun.

biker72
07-02-2013, 08:54 PM
My bike always travels inside my Honda CRV. Never had to disassemble any part of it.

Fewer theft worries and no weather concerns.

bicycletricycle
07-02-2013, 09:08 PM
i did that with 5 bikes on the roof when i moved cross country.

worked great except for the bugs.

nasty bugs guts all over the front of my bike.

Gummee
07-02-2013, 09:15 PM

I've been back and forth and back and forth with multiple bikes on the roof rack. Yeah, mileage suffers, but when the dog is in the back seat, something's gotta give.

Go for it!

M

tiretrax
07-02-2013, 09:58 PM
If you can put them inside, then do it. In addition to less cleanup upon arrival, you won't have to remember to check the height of any overhangs along the way. See the post about from the OP that trashed his M3 and 3 bikes when taking an alternate exit from his hotel in Las Vegas.

evo111@comcast.net
07-02-2013, 10:11 PM
Many trips from TX to CA. No problems, just remember your clearance height.
At overnight stops the only hassle was unloading the bikes and wheels putting them in the room for safer keeping.

rwsaunders
07-02-2013, 11:11 PM
Many trips from TX to CA. No problems, just remember your clearance height. At overnight stops the only hassle was unloading the bikes and wheels putting them in the room for safer keeping.

+1...buy a bra as others have said to keep the bug intestines off the bikes. We use a Rocketbox on longer trips for hauling "stuff" that we don't want in the car and the bikes are on the roof too. Mileage drops maybe 3-4 mpg.

pdmtong
07-03-2013, 12:03 AM
If it has to go on the roof, definitely buy the bra/cover/sail.....if you go through any kind of bug/gnat cloud any exposed surface with a frontal area will take a bug hit - the bug guts then get baked on. not only is it gross but it is a huge PITA to clean. yes your gas mileage will tank, but this is the penalty if you cannot put it inside.

Marburg
07-03-2013, 12:55 AM

Same, one trip each way with a Golf loaded to the gills ... 3 bikes one way and 4 The other. My concern was security. I camped mostly, which was fine ... given locking racks. When I stayed in town I moved bikes into hotel rooms which was not fun. Only had to do that a coupke times to be sick of it

soulspinner
07-03-2013, 04:17 AM
the cost of fuel saved (assuming no space inside the vehicle) should cover the cost of shipping. I say inside the car or inside a box.

+1

RacerJRP
07-03-2013, 07:56 AM
Thanks guys! I think I am going to put the CX bike on the roof along with the box and the Foil is getting shipped out. Luckily my other road bike is already out there. Left it when I was on vacation.

No room inside the car at all.

josephr
07-03-2013, 09:30 AM
once drove through Louisiana in the summer with a bike on the roof...it was a mtn bike so wasnt' worried about rain too much, but getting the bugs off was a pain. I didn't then, but now when I wash my bikes, I give it a quick once over with Pedro's Bike Lust (I'm sure any polymer based bike polish would work). I've noticed since then that bugs come off a lot easier.

Could always move to a hitch mount rack. :)
Joe

fiataccompli
07-03-2013, 11:47 AM
I would think the mileage penalty would vary with displacement and specs of the vehicle....And speed of travel. For instance 500-600 miles with mr Suburban costs the same (at whatever speed) with or without bikes on the roof. On a Mercedes 300TD (3l, 5 cyl diesel wagon) I went from 28mpg down to like 12mpg...I thought my fuel guage had broken until the laws of physics left me sputtering on the side of the road.

I have heard of people wrapping headsets to prevent blowing the grease out of bearings. I suppose that could be more likely with older headsets...or is it a bogus concern?

TBDSeattle
07-03-2013, 01:27 PM
I'm a full convert. I've got the roof rack, but now that I've also got a hitch rack it is all I use. It saves on gas, prevents bug splatter, and is easier to load/unload...

I think there was a General Discussion post on hitch vs roof racks....

TBDSeattle
07-03-2013, 01:31 PM
Here it is:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=128027&highlight=hitch+roof+ferry

Gsinill
07-03-2013, 01:39 PM
...I've also got a hitch rack it is all I use. It saves on gas....

+1 if there is no way to put it inside the car.
Remember years ago driving from Southern Germany to Tuscany with 2 MTB on the roof rack and my gas mileage going from 24ish to around 15! Never again.

BumbleBeeDave
07-03-2013, 01:49 PM
. . . about leaving it on top of the car while parked outside of a podunk motel overnight than I would be about bug guts or thunderstorms.

BBD

cash05458
07-03-2013, 02:06 PM
I am abit neurotic over these things so keep the bike in the car...of course that aint possible for alot of folks with kids, luggage, family stuff...and altho I ride steel I have always wondered what a small stone hitting a nice carbon frame at just the right point at very high speeds might do to it, say a stone shot from a wheel of an oncoming car at 65 and hitting the frame going about 65 against that force...anyone have any ideas on that?

shovelhd
07-03-2013, 02:23 PM
Spray the front of the bike down with Pam. It will collect a heck of a mess but it will wipe right off.

Avoid parking garages.