PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Repair by Ruckus Composites

Bruce K
07-02-2013, 12:34 PM
Many of you may remember that I cracked the right seatstay on my Super-X during the Boston Paceline ride.

The repair is in process at Ruckus Composites in Portland, OR. They have had the frame for just under 3 weeks and it is painted and curing right now. They expect to ship tomorrow and I should have fully painted pictures soon.

Estimated price was $350 - $400 so we'll see when they call with the total.

So far I have been very impressed with their communication, attitude, etc.

Here are some photos of the repair before painting.

BK

krhea
07-02-2013, 01:31 PM
The guys at Ruckus are great dudes. Their work is every bit as good as other's with more "familiar" names in the carbon repair biz. Located in our "backyard", they've done a ton of repair work on club members frames, every one with excellent results.

KRhea

Lovetoclimb
07-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Can not speak to their carbon repair service, but based on how pleasant they were to deal with modifying my ENVE cross fork I will definitely be looking them up if I need repairs in the future. Dealing with Calfee was less than stellar especially in the communication arena.

AngryScientist
07-02-2013, 01:46 PM
good to know there are options other than hanging a still good frame on the wall. certainly in line with what a similar repair to a steel frame would cost. great news.

noahgenda
07-02-2013, 05:41 PM
This reminded me
So I bumped Ruckus for an update
In the final stages now!

DRZRM
07-02-2013, 08:51 PM
Looks great Bruce,

Was still an expensive ride, but was way better then being on the hook for the frame. Maybe a ti bike next time?

Zach

rice rocket
07-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Looks great Bruce,

Was still an expensive ride, but was way better then being on the hook for the frame. Maybe a ti bike next time?

Zach

Newsflash, Ti bikes crack too.

DRZRM
07-02-2013, 10:59 PM
I was talking about a particular fall Bruce had that I witnessed, bike dropped on a RR crossing and cracked the seat stay clean. I was not suggesting that ti can't break, I know everything breaks, but I'm pretty sure it would not have in that case. Really, it was just meant as a joke, but thanks for the reminder.

That said, how many companies can you name off the top of your head who do a large percentage of their business doing carbon repairs on bikes? And how about on ti? I'm just saying, sure everything can break, but don't we see a lot more of it with carbon? I know it's light, but not everything holds up the same.

Newsflash, Ti bikes crack too.

Bruce K
07-03-2013, 03:12 AM
Thanks rr, for trying to back me up

Zach was just gently reminding me that I had planned to ride my Serotta Concours CX that day but switched to the carbon bike at the last minute

The Ti bike would have survived that particular slow-mo fall with barely a scratch I am sure

The guys at Ruckus might have packed the bike without a finished photo, in which case I will post one when it arrives here next week

BK

Bruce K
07-13-2013, 04:04 PM
So the frame arrived this afternoon back from Ruckus Composites

Here is a picture of the repaired frame.

I think it looks great. And the guys at Ruckus delivered on time (3 weeks at their shop) at a reasonable price $375.00 repaired and painted.

Very happy with my Ruckus experience.

BK

ultraman6970
07-13-2013, 10:42 PM
Wow they work good, that bike wont crack there ever again.

soulspinner
07-14-2013, 05:29 AM
Ride on looks new, great to know about the work they do:hello:

roguedog
07-14-2013, 10:56 AM
Cool. Good to know.

Curious to hear if ride quality changes any.

Villgaxx
07-14-2013, 05:15 PM
those dudes prolly have a bunch of work, so that turnaround is pretty good, too.