PDA

View Full Version : Disc brakes for CX, is that Time ?

jerome
07-02-2013, 03:49 AM
Now is it Time to buy à new frame with disc ?

Early adopters always have to deal with less reliable less finished products

I like disc but
The weight penalty
The reliability

What would you do if you had to buy a new CX bike for all around cycling now ?

Should I keep my new Seven mudhoney di2. ?

4Rings6Stars
07-02-2013, 06:40 AM
I was a (relatively) early adopter of mechanical road discs on my cross bike... Braking power with them has never been an issue, so the emergence of hydraulics doesn't change anything for me.

I have them on two bikes, and they work fine but for my next all around bike build, I will be going with a frame that takes long reach road calipers.

In my opinion, road discs are good for:

Riding in steady rain for extended distance. (but not muddy CX races...because it will wear through the pads in half a lap...I read that here, haven't actually experienced it)
Desire to switch between multiple wheel sizes (650b and 700c).
Using carbon rims and you are worried about rim brakes wearing through them.

Day to day riding on alloy rims? Zero benefits.

Bruce K
07-02-2013, 06:41 AM
Maybe and yes

It is getting harder ZbS harder to find higher end canti cross bikes

The braking durability is getting better but there still may be done issues to work out

Why would you unload a Di2 Honey? They are great bikes and would make cN excellent training/pit bije

BK

pcxmbfj
07-02-2013, 07:19 AM
IMO one overlooked advantage of hydros over mechanicals and mechanicals over rim brakes is the hand effort required to achieve the same braking force.

When I raced mtb, brakes were evolving and my hands would noticably ache from the exertion of braking with canti or v brakes.

Disc brakes improved to the point of enabling one finger braking.

Automotive and motorcycle has advanced to tubeless tires and disc brakes, the bicycle will follow.

Dave B
07-02-2013, 07:56 AM
I suppose it also depends on how you ride. Disc brakes give you loads of stopping power in an instant. No other type can scrub speed as quickly or with as much power. If you do riding that requires you to need to stop as quick as possible then there isn't a stronger brake.

All other arguments have been discussed at lengths. Some folks love them, some don't. You aren't going to see revolutionary advancements in the brakes. Think beyond the obvious. I would imagine carbon rims w/o brake tracks on them, lighter weight rims, possibly aero shaping near the tire as a result of not having to worry about the braking aspects.

Smaller rotors, advances in cooling of the rotors, pad compounds, etc.

Oversized/built forks, cable routing solutions, a forced advancement in design of electronic shifting/hydro braking.

Brakes are for slowing and stopping. You decide how quickly you want to do that and if the technology appeals to you.

My current cross bike has discs. Do I think it is a game changer...only when I need to stop NOW and can. I also live in the flat Midwest. I am not going to bomb down mountain descents at 50+ mph. I will have situational experiences.

SpeedyChix
07-02-2013, 02:06 PM
For all 'round riding in all weather some day down the road I MIGHT consider disc for something other than mtb. I was a late adopter to disc off road but sure wouldn't want to go back to rim brakes off road now.

CX? I'm okay w/o disc, my placing in a race isn't going to change much based on braking or how hard it is to brake.

Di2 though...CX seems like an ideal application for that.

back to all round riding, no rush for disc if I was buying a bike for that use today.

jerome
07-03-2013, 04:16 PM
So what would you do

I have a Moots RsL CX traditional all cables , a mudhoney di2 non disc and a Moots di2 discs on its way
Should I build the mudhoney or resell it ?

I have 5 hard tails too 2 Firefly 2 Seven SL and IMX a MootoX X RSL

I am not rich I have a job as an engineer no more I am not a Google or Apple employe either

May be I am crazy. :bike:

Best

tuscanyswe
07-03-2013, 04:22 PM
Hehehehe i love your reasoning but yes you are crazy !!

I am too but not on the same level, yet! .)

Best
B

sworcester
07-03-2013, 06:30 PM
I bought a Cannondale cross bike with disc last year and raced. I found out I can crash just as good with discs as I can with regular brakes.

oldpotatoe
07-04-2013, 07:22 AM
So what would you do

I have a Moots RsL CX traditional all cables , a mudhoney di2 non disc and a Moots di2 discs on its way
Should I build the mudhoney or resell it ?

I have 5 hard tails too 2 Firefly 2 Seven SL and IMX a MootoX X RSL

I am not rich I have a job as an engineer no more I am not a Google or Apple employe either

May be I am crazy. :bike:

Best

Lessee...how many, all ti? 7 and one on the way?

I know why...5 hard tails?

rockdude
07-04-2013, 08:28 AM
For Racing I don't see disc adding much. Cools stuff but its not going to make you faster. In the future, canti's will be a thing of the past but the reason is because the sponsors will demand their riders use them and so everyone will buy them.

jerome
07-08-2013, 06:35 AM
Sure disc won't change our life because we care about the ride first in all case, riding !

But ... tech evolution are part of life for ever and the bring their part in enhancing our life (sometimes ... not of the time)

So if you had to go for a CX disc or road CX will it be :

Cable + Disc
or
Di2 + Disc

I mean SRAM vs Shimano for now as Shimano has made no announcement for aCable/Disc group and SRAM is not in e-Bike yet.

jerome
07-08-2013, 06:38 AM
Lessee...how many, all ti? 7 and one on the way?

I know why...5 hard tails?

Why too much ?

1 Sola SL full Ti
1 Moots
1 IMX Ti+ carbon
1 Firefly
1 Firefly as an IF Deluxe as they carry the DNA of it.

I am not much in road cycling any more too many cars now even in France way too dangerous where ever you go.

Ask Jalabert ... ! he might joins me in MTB riding.