PDA

View Full Version : record EPS FD cost

bicycletricycle
07-01-2013, 02:36 PM
$850 dollars

just seems a bit excessive.

kenmetzger
07-01-2013, 02:47 PM
That is just for Super Record. Regular ole Record EPS front derailleur are quite a bargain at around $700. :rolleyes:

Spin71
07-01-2013, 02:48 PM
Don't buy one.

oldpotatoe
07-01-2013, 06:20 PM
$850 dollars

just seems a bit excessive.

Excessive compared to what? A Veloce mechanical FD?

$725..Di2 9070 are $600. They are all expensive.

Tony T
07-02-2013, 05:59 AM
Excessive compared to what?

Compared to the mfg cost of the unit. What's Campy's m/u on this? 750%?

BobbyJones
07-02-2013, 06:02 AM
Oh boy, Here we goCompared to the mfg cost of the unit. What's Campy's m/u on this? 750%?

AngryScientist
07-02-2013, 06:09 AM
i guess the guys riding this gear have to have deep pockets or team sponsorship. i'd hate to go down on a bike equipped with this and be looking at such a hefty replacement charge for any of the components. no longer can you slap on any FD out of the parts box with these gizmotrons.

Joachim
07-02-2013, 06:09 AM

And the mark up on prescription drugs is what? 50000%? Oh wait, there is something called research and development costs. Campy and shimano have them too. I dont get that we complain about bike part prices on a forum for 2-8k custom framesets. Sometimes people here lose perspective.

Tony T
07-02-2013, 06:11 AM
And the mark up on prescription drugs is what? 50000%? Oh wait, there is something called research and development costs. Campy and shimano have them too.

What's the projected payback of R&D? 6 months?

OP's comment was that $850 seems excessive for a FD. Well, guess what, it is.
(But... doesn't mean that Campy shouldn't charge what the market will bear)

I dont get that we complain about bike part prices on a forum for 2-8k custom framesets. Sometimes people here lose perspective.

When a FD is 10% of the cost of a custom frameset, well, it seems excessive (either that, or $8k for the frame is a bargain ;) )

bicycletricycle
07-02-2013, 06:58 AM
I was kinda thinking more philosophically.

It just seems crazy, even in the context of 8000 dollar frames it seems crazy, it's a front derailleur!

We have taken one of the simplest components on a bicycle and turned into a monster, an impossible to repair $850 dollar monster.

I like to think of cycling as the people's sport, almost all kids learn it when the grow up and until recently a person of reasonable means could purchase a "high end bicycle" and ride it for years and years without too much cost. Recently we seem to be venturing into sailing territory with the cost and upkeep required on a "high end bicycle".

I would like to think I am not some kind of old man pining for the way things used to be, I have a serious quandary here.

All of the electronic parts will be in the trash in 10 years. Same for the hydraulic parts, same with the carbon bits. (I know there are exceptions)

We may be gaining a lot of user comfort and performance but we are loosing the simplicity that allows us to mix 30 year old parts with new components and repair our bicycles at the side of the road, soon we wont be able to repair our bicycles at home. I guess I just find that a little depressing.

Obviously I won't be buying a 850 dollar EPS derailleur soon and I should probably just keep my mouth shut but I love bicycles and that is what the Internet is for, complaining.

oldpotatoe
07-02-2013, 07:01 AM

I don't know, what is it? What is shimano's m/u for theirs, how about sram(all made in Taiwan) red levers, that push the price of EPS or Di2 levers? Or a XX cogset that retails for what, $450????

It's all expensive.

Tony T
07-02-2013, 07:08 AM
There is a difference between expensive and excessive.
Anyway, as I said, I have no issue with Campy charging what the market will bear. That said, $850 for FD is excessive (IMO, of course ;)).

oldpotatoe
07-02-2013, 07:25 AM
There is a difference between expensive and excessive.
Anyway, as I said, I have no issue with Campy charging what the market will bear. That said, $850 for FD is excessive (IMO, of course ;)).

I hear from customers all the time, 'is it worth it'?

Put any anything there..I cannot tell what's worth it to another.

Same for excessive or expensive. Both subjective. Sat next to a guy at a light in a red Mercedes 500 SL.

Expensive or excessive? Or both or neither?

I was sitting in my red car, I have a Rolex(35 years old), just like the guy next to me.

Pretty car but I can't afford it, but I don't think it's expensive or excessive. It just is.

Like a SR EPS or shimano 9070 Di2 11s FD or even sram red-22 FD. Why is this aluminum thing $160?

cmg
07-02-2013, 08:07 AM
Excessive compared to what? A Veloce mechanical FD?

$725..Di2 9070 are $600. They are all expensive.

that is what we're comparing it to. bought a record FD for $25 on this forum last week. so yea, it is excessive. But the manufactuers goal is to take something simple, complicate it and create a market for it. much more incentive to create an object that sees a 750% return than something i can get a 10% profit on. way to excessive for me. something to laugh at on a bicycle forum.

FlashUNC
07-02-2013, 08:25 AM
that is what we're comparing it to. bought a record FD for $25 on this forum last week. so yea, it is excessive. But the manufactuers goal is to take something simple, complicate it and create a market for it. much more incentive to create an object that sees a 750% return than something i can get a 10% profit on. way to excessive for me. something to laugh at on a bicycle forum.

If Campy can get that for EPS bits, than so be it.

As someone who actually owns the stuff, I knew walking into it I would be paying a premium for their 20 years of R&D on the stuff, and where the overall bike market has been headed for several years now with exploding prices on everything from frames to tires.

I won't argue that I'm fortunate to be able to spend a couple thousand dollars on something as silly as bike parts, but the stuff works unbelievably well, especially at the FD. It's light years beyond any mechanical system I've ever used, and turned this luddite into a believer that electronic is going to be around for a very long time.

If that's worth laughing at, well, have a good chuckle then.

crownjewelwl
07-02-2013, 08:43 AM
that's a 20 year old 500 SL...neither expensive or excessive (anymore)!!

I hear from customers all the time, 'is it worth it'?

Put any anything there..I cannot tell what's worth it to another.

Same for excessive or expensive. Both subjective. Sat next to a guy at a light in a red Mercedes 500 SL.

Expensive or excessive? Or both or neither?

I was sitting in my red car, I have a Rolex(35 years old), just like the guy next to me.

Pretty car but I can't afford it, but I don't think it's expensive or excessive. It just is.

Like a SR EPS or shimano 9070 Di2 11s FD or even sram red-22 FD. Why is this aluminum thing $160?

sg8357
07-02-2013, 08:54 AM
that's a 20 year old 500 SL...neither expensive or excessive (anymore)!!

The car is the cheap part, the 20 year old blonde that goes with the car
is the expensive bit.

Joachim
07-02-2013, 09:21 AM
Halo bikes, halo parts. I just find it ironic that we are perfectly fine with 10k bikes, then complain about a component. There was a guy on the forum that bought a Lightweight rear derailleur, the mechanical one for $1200. At the time it seemed not too expensive for him. We should just TIG weld our own bikes, have you seen the price of a tubeset? Real cheap, those custom builders must have a huge mark up.

Why don't we all ride Walmart specials? Most people will say we are crazy for owning bikes which are more expensive than a car. Ask luxury car (real luxury car) owners if they consider their car "expensive" or their $1000 oil change + annual service?

This is beginning to sound like the Ferrari or Lambo owner who complains about the price of gas.

Yes, the internet is for complaining, so I am complaining about guys that are complaining. I'm sure there will be mechanical parts available for a long time so all the complainers don't have to buy electronic shifting and can repair their bike roadside.

Fishbike
07-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Capitalism ain't perfect, but no one has come up with a better way yet. . .

cfox
07-02-2013, 09:31 AM
Yes, it is pricey, but you have to let go of the concept of it being "just a FD" in an E-shifting system. It's by far trickiest part to engineer and manufacture. It's not the lowly lever it is in a mech group. In a mech group, the shift levers are the most complex piece.

SPOKE
07-02-2013, 09:34 AM
I can afford to buy and ride some of the nicest custom bicycles available. I'm very thankful that I earn enuf money to support my bike lust

Tony T
07-02-2013, 09:58 AM
I just find it ironic that we are perfectly fine with 10k bikes, then complain about a component.

Commenting that a FD is 11% of the cost of the frame in not a complaint, it's an observation.
(...wait, you've up'd the frame cost again, its 8.5% ;))

A bottle of water costs $5 in Yankee Stadium (a 12oz beer $6). I guess that's not excessive either.

Joachim
07-02-2013, 10:05 AM
Commenting that a FD is 11% of the cost of the frame in not a complaint, it's an observation.
(...wait, you've up'd the frame cost again, its 8.5% ;))

A bottle of water costs $5 in Yankee Stadium (a 12oz beer $6). I guess that's not excessive either.

10k is the bike cost. 8k was the frameset. Anyway, I have no skin in the game. I just think some logic is missing. ps. the water in Yankee Stadium tastes a lot better than outside. Its the experience you pay for :).

Tony T
07-02-2013, 10:09 AM
I'd rather pay the $6 for the beer :-)

Mikej
07-02-2013, 11:51 AM
Great news - SR EPS FD only $680 at Colorado Cyclist, so this whole thread is moot - mooot I tell you all!

ultraman6970
07-02-2013, 12:55 PM
Waiting for SR or any other asian company to come up with reliable and low pricing electronic for the masses... that day is coming... electronic shifting bikes at wallmart for 600 bucks!

bicycletricycle
07-02-2013, 01:16 PM
thank god for the 680 dollar EPS FD

binxnyrwarrsoul
07-02-2013, 01:19 PM
And I'm complaining about my cracked Parlee braze on FD adapter costing $45 to replace. EPS, what's that? ;)

merlinmurph
07-02-2013, 01:32 PM
bicycletricycle had the same gut reaction I did when I saw the price of an EPS FD. Wow.

Worth it? That's up to the potential buyer. But that's a lot of coin for what has traditionally been a relatively cheap component.

FlashUNC
07-02-2013, 01:38 PM
http://farm5.staticflickr.com/4051/4424573538_6ccb7801bb.jpg

oldpotatoe
07-02-2013, 07:05 PM
If Campy can get that for EPS bits, than so be it.

As someone who actually owns the stuff, I knew walking into it I would be paying a premium for their 20 years of R&D on the stuff, and where the overall bike market has been headed for several years now with exploding prices on everything from frames to tires.

I won't argue that I'm fortunate to be able to spend a couple thousand dollars on something as silly as bike parts, but the stuff works unbelievably well, especially at the FD. It's light years beyond any mechanical system I've ever used, and turned this luddite into a believer that electronic is going to be around for a very long time.

If that's worth laughing at, well, have a good chuckle then.

Huzza!!

eippo1
07-02-2013, 08:02 PM
I mean no offense, but this sounds like one of the bikeforums threads that pops up in the roadie forum every week or so as a backlash to all the people posting their hawt new rides. Kinda think of that forum as a bunch of kids talking about their modded Civics while this forum is a bit more classy.

I had a point, but it's only Monday and I've already had a long week and accidentally left my brain on my desk at work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

FlashUNC
07-02-2013, 08:38 PM
I had a point, but it's only Monday

It's Tuesday.

eippo1
07-02-2013, 08:55 PM
It's Tuesday.

Told you I left my wits elsewhere

thirdgenbird
07-02-2013, 10:01 PM
It's Tuesday.

It took me way too much thought to verify this. One of those weeks.

pdmtong
07-03-2013, 12:52 AM
whatever. would you rather they lowered the price but took back the "savings" via increases in the shifters or RD? it's a pricing shell game since you need all three to comprise EPS.

Tony T
07-03-2013, 06:32 AM
OP's only comment was that $850 seems excessive for a FD.
It was not a complaint, nor have there been any complaints in this thread on Campy's pricing (probably because few here have the SR EPS).

Just because someone thinks a price is excessive (and it is), does not mean that they think it's not justified.

Rueda Tropical
07-03-2013, 06:54 AM
There are plenty of choices if you want Campagnolo. Tons of older Campy gear that is much cheaper and gives virtually zero away in performance. Campagnolo is not exactly rolling in dough despite the pricing.

If you want to play the game of the latest and greatest whiz-bang technology you pay the price. If you just want a bike that functions at a high performance level there are plenty of choices at multiple price levels.

Tony T
07-03-2013, 07:44 AM
Yes, we all know that. Thanks for sharing :rolleyes: