PDA

View Full Version : Builder recommendation?

SamIAm
07-01-2013, 02:22 PM
So my wife has a wonderful Ellis custom that she loves. Her friend rode it the other day and loved it from a fit and function perspective.

She wanted me to help her order an Ellis immediately, but when I told her the lead time, I lost her.

I have the geo and tubeset, any recommendations for someone who could tig weld it into a frame within 2 months?

AngryScientist
07-01-2013, 02:25 PM
give Bilinky in Philadelphia a call, they make some nice stuff and take on "projects". they coupled my Serotta in pretty quick time. dont know what their current lead time is, but i would call and find out. they employ some top notch welders...

http://www.bilenky.com/

RedRider
07-01-2013, 02:34 PM
8 weeks is a short lead time and whether the builder does his own finishing/painting will be a big factor. There's a builder's list somewhere on Paceline which should give you a good call list.
Why do you have a tubeset? In my opinion, it's like bringing your own ingredients to a restaurant.

christian
07-01-2013, 02:35 PM
I think he means he knows what tubeset was used.

SamIAm
07-01-2013, 02:36 PM
8 weeks is a short lead time and whether the builder does his own finishing/painting will be a big factor. There's a builder's list somewhere on Paceline which should give you a good call list.
Why do you have a tubeset? In my opinion, it's like bringing your own ingredients to a restaurant.

Because she is exactly the same size and weight as my wife and I trust Dave's design and she loved the ride of the bike. What's not to like?

RedRider
07-01-2013, 02:38 PM
I think he means he knows what tubeset was used.

Oh... I thought the OP was going to send a tubeset to the builder.

Because she is exactly the same size and weight as my wife and I trust Dave's design and she loved the ride of the bike. What's not to like?

Yes, Dave does great work and it's a shame she can't wait for an Ellis.

Liv2RideHard
07-01-2013, 02:46 PM
I recently had a wonderful experience working with Jonathan Greene. He is welding bikes now and I am pretty sure he keeps his queue pretty short, +/- one month. It was really fun working with Jonathan. It was a memorable experience and the finished product has been amazing. I absolutely love the bike. He nailed it. I strongly recommend contacting him. Cheers.

Guy

Ahneida Ride
07-01-2013, 02:51 PM
Kelly is at 8 weeks for a Tig bike.

rnhood
07-01-2013, 03:01 PM
Like good fitting shoe or glove, it often works best to stay with what works. Talk to Ellis and twist his arm.

sc53
07-01-2013, 03:11 PM
My Bedford Ti took 8 weeks on the nose and was perfect.

jmoore
07-01-2013, 03:13 PM
Kelly is at 8 weeks for a Tig bike.

How many weeks is Bill at :D

+1 for Kelly. Perfection in a tig frame

Rudy
07-01-2013, 04:24 PM
Try Waterford. Dave worked there before he went solo.

KidWok
07-01-2013, 04:39 PM
Waterford/Gunnar and Co-Motion are well regarded for their welded steel and short lead times. Full Disclosure: I've had industry relations with both companies, but wouldn't hesitate to buy from them at retail. Both company have their own custom drawn tubing. Co-Motion does more bending/manipulation of the tubing and IMHO has nicer paint. I've had three Gunnars and the paint was incredibly delicate on all of them.

Tai

vqdriver
07-01-2013, 04:45 PM
if she likes the ellis, try giving him a call. he may have a buyer in the queue that's postponed their turn in line. perhaps you could buy their spot and let them off the hook?

goonster
07-01-2013, 04:59 PM
give Bilinky in Philadelphia a call
I am tremendously fond of the Bilenky crew, but they are not the outfit to go to for a quick turnaround. For frame repairs or coupler hacking, on pre-approval of schedule, yes. For a complete frameset, probably not.

I was very satisfied with Bradley Wilson at Capricorn cycles. His prices have gone up (deservedly), but he is experienced (also worked at Waterford), does good work, was very receptive to my input on geo, communicated well, and delivered on time.

He does not do TIG, but will do filet brazing and lugs. AFAIK his build queue is (undeservedly) short. At the very least, his flickr album deserves a quick look:

Capricorn Website (http://www.capricornbicycles.com/)

Capricorn at Flickr (http://www.flickr.com/photos/shortpants51/)

jr59
07-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Yep, the wait from Ellis is getting out there.

Bedford, and Gunnar/Waterford sound like a good bet to me. I would also give IF a shout Just to see.

It's really to bad that you already sold your wife's old frame. :(.

There are plenty of real good builders out there, and you know most of them. Good luck!

Ken Robb
07-01-2013, 07:18 PM
I am too lazy to go to their website(s) but Gunnar used to offer a "Waterford level" paint job for a reasonable up charge over the very basic Gunnar work.

parris
07-01-2013, 08:32 PM
Just curious but what is the lead time these days for an Ellis?

boomana
07-01-2013, 08:55 PM
Carl Strong? I met a happy customer about a year ago when I was admiring his bike. I don't remember his answer when I asked about the time frame, but I do remember being impressed that it was short.

roguedog
07-01-2013, 08:58 PM
Don't know their wait times but how bout Caletti, Alliance or Rock Lobster?

Edit: NM, Alliance has 12-24 week wait atm (or so his site says).

Louis
07-01-2013, 08:59 PM
I second Waterford, especially if the customs are sold via an LBS in your area that you trust.

SamIAm
07-01-2013, 09:21 PM
Thanks guys. Some good options here.

fogrider
07-01-2013, 10:28 PM
so many builders...so little time...kirk, bedford, strong, della santa, steelman, english, rock lobster just to name a few more.

joosttx
07-01-2013, 10:36 PM
give Bilinky in Philadelphia a call, they make some nice stuff and take on "projects". they coupled my Serotta in pretty quick time. dont know what their current lead time is, but i would call and find out. they employ some top notch welders...

http://www.bilenky.com/

Bilenky's lead time is over a year.

93legendti
07-01-2013, 11:35 PM
Curtlo or Scott Quirring?

jr59
07-02-2013, 10:44 AM
So my wife has a wonderful Ellis custom that she loves. Her friend rode it the other day and loved it from a fit and function perspective.

She wanted me to help her order an Ellis immediately, but when I told her the lead time, I lost her.

I have the geo and tubeset, any recommendations for someone who could tig weld it into a frame within 2 months?

I didn't think Dave offered tiged frame sets? :confused:

LegendRider
07-02-2013, 10:45 AM
How about Zukas Cycles in Augusta?

bluesea
07-02-2013, 10:59 AM
Doesn't Llewellyn have a pretty reasonable queue right now? Not sure why he hasn't been mentioned.

jr59
07-02-2013, 11:02 AM
How long is the wait for a Zank these days. I know he was trying to get into the tiged end of things.

Bob Ross
07-02-2013, 11:13 AM
Carl Strong? I met a happy customer about a year ago when I was admiring his bike. I don't remember his answer when I asked about the time frame, but I do remember being impressed that it was short.

Carl was at 12-16 weeks when I ordered my Strong 2.5 years ago. From the looks of his Facebook page, he's no less busy now.

Joachim
07-02-2013, 11:24 AM
How about Zukas Cycles in Augusta?

I emailed Nate last week. He is at 4 months right now.

jblande
07-02-2013, 11:41 AM
Among these choices, doesn't Kelly Bedford seem like a great option?

CNY rider
07-02-2013, 11:49 AM
Do you still have any spots with Curt Goodrich?

marle
07-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Moots does custom in 8 weeks

SamIAm
07-02-2013, 02:17 PM
I didn't think Dave offered tiged frame sets? :confused:

He doesn't. My wife's bikes is lugged. I just thought it might be easier and faster to find a tig builder.

Ahneida Ride
07-02-2013, 02:38 PM
I am tremendously fond of the Bilenky crew,

So am I ...

Lurch
07-02-2013, 02:47 PM
For fear of turning this into a random pimp your favorite builder thread, another name to consider is Mike Desalvo. He usually turns frames out fairly quickly, and several of us forum members are fond of his work as well.

Walter
07-02-2013, 02:56 PM
I have worked with Roland Della Santa before. Short turn around time and honest deadlines given.

(lots of other great builders around as well)

buddybikes
07-02-2013, 02:58 PM
whomever you choose, you will need to keep paint simple, add complexities, and time will be spent.

dekindy
07-02-2013, 04:03 PM
Give Craig Ryan, of Foresta Frames, a shout.
http://forestaframes.com/Site/Foresta_Frames.html

Or Kevin Harvey at Harvery Cycle Works.
http://www.harveycycleworks.com/index.html

Oops, Craig does lugged and Kevin does fillet/lugged. They probably would meet deadlines if you are not set on tig. Craig does his own painting and I recommend him highly.

EricEstlund
07-02-2013, 04:04 PM

Is she without a bike at the moment? If she loved the Ellis, why not wait? She already knows she will like it, and it supports the guy that put in the design she enjoys.

noahgenda
07-02-2013, 05:40 PM
Last time I checked Rock Lobster had a short lead time

AllianceBicycle
07-03-2013, 02:51 PM
Just to clear up my wait, it's quoted at 12-14 weeks on the website. However, I can do a bike in 10 weeks right now. I error on the long side.

Thanks for the mention earlier in the tread though! I hope she can find a builder who can meet her needs and wait time.

Thanks,

Erik

veloduffer
07-03-2013, 03:55 PM
I would highly recommend Jim Kish (kishbike.com). Although he is known for titanium bikes, he does tig steel as well. Top notch craftsmanship, right on time delivery, and reasonable price too ($1800 for steel including paint).

fmbp
07-03-2013, 04:13 PM
Last time I checked Rock Lobster had a short lead time

not so right now. Paul is right around 7 months (per a conversation I had with him a couple of weeks ago), give or take, these days. My frame is at the powder coater right now, and I'm about beside myself with excitement and anticipation.

559Rando
07-05-2013, 01:41 PM
Lots of great builders out there. Short of taking the time machine back to circa 1985 Tom Ritchey (super prolific!), Tom Teesdale is fast: http://tetcycles.com/