PDA

View Full Version : helmet covers in the Tour?

vqdriver
07-01-2013, 12:21 AM
What's up with these vent covers on helmets?
By the looks of all the short sleeves and open front zippers and all the spectators in shorts and beachwear it looks to be warm weather.

http://i743.photobucket.com/albums/xx74/ekkthree/2A708460-FD48-473C-8181-AFEB15544B3F-5596-00000490C9184443_zpsb2cfea0d.jpg

jtakeda
07-01-2013, 12:23 AM
bald guys who dont want sunburns?

uno-speedo
07-01-2013, 12:56 AM
The new Kask helmet has a sliding cover that allows you to open vents:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/news/article/kask-infinity-aero-road-helmet--37740/

rustychisel
07-01-2013, 03:57 AM
the new black, so go dig your 25 year old Bell outta the shed.

If you read and believe the marketing BS they are better for aero due to less interrupted airflow and better cooling due to air being directed across the head rather than out the top, or the sides, or where the sun don't shine.

In two years time the physics will be thoroughly disproven and we shall have to buy a whole new design to keep up, of course, but in the meantime I'm sure they're excellent for pink headed Englishmen with receding hairlines.

Actually, I'm sure they're lighter than your old Bell, but I'm equally sure about the other stuff.

firerescuefin
07-01-2013, 04:02 AM
http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/06/news/spotted-specialized-evade-aero-road-helmet_292680

Objective numbers don't lie...that being said, if you're "rocking" this on the local group ride...your @ss better be WAY up the road.

rustychisel
07-01-2013, 04:12 AM
chortle.

See those wrap around sides? Hold your wing nuts flat, save 20W.

Bruce K
07-01-2013, 04:59 AM
It is my understanding that helmet "covers" are not allowed in the Tour or any other UCI Pro level race.

Last year teams were gluing the covers on the Lazer helmets to get around the rule and we saw riders changing helmets late in stages.

Helmet manufacturers have now gone to redesigning road helmets for better aerodynamics. Specialized has their new helmet at the tour with a front area taken from their wind tunnel work with McLaren F1. All the venting is on the very front (1 vent) and the sides, with nothing on top. the helmet is said to be worth 1 second/kilometer at speeds of 40km/h and a little more at 50km/h.

The KASK with adjustable venting is a cool idea.

The Giro Air Attack (the one that looks like a skate helmet) is not so appealing as ventilation is limited.

Watch the TT helmets this year as well. Sky is using the KASK Bambino, a short tail, rounded back helmet that they developed for track racing. It is supposed to be aerodynamically almost the same as the long tail helmets when the rider's head is in position but does not generate the air brake effect when they turn their head or look down.

BK

tiretrax
07-01-2013, 01:58 PM
It is my understanding that helmet "covers" are not allowed in the Tour or any other UCI Pro level race.

I think it's removable helmet covers that are banned, and gluing the cover to the plastic is how they get around the rule. It seems ludicrous to me - why not redesign the helmet to resemble the new Giro or Specialized?

Personally, I'd prefer to have more ventholes even if bugs fly into them (as happend today).

FlashUNC
07-01-2013, 02:23 PM
Part of that larger industry push to sell us aero above all else.

jmoore
07-01-2013, 03:10 PM
fugly

and what do I care about aero? I'm not a tri-dork

2wheelwill
07-01-2013, 03:23 PM
Great...so helmets will all soon look like a Prius!

BumbleBeeDave
07-01-2013, 03:56 PM
bald guys who dont want sunburns?

. . . but I suspect more it's just another excuse to tell us all we should buy new ones. It's like whatever the "in" fashion color is supposed to be this year according to "fashion experts." What makes them "fashion experts?" Because they have told us what the "in" colors would be in PREVIOUS years. :p :rolleyes:

BBD

svelocity
07-01-2013, 04:27 PM
...but...from the Velonews article...

Apparently, the new helmet does quite well at evading aerodynamic drag, saving a claimed 20 watts at 50kph and 10 watts at a slightly more reasonable 40kph. And it does so while keeping a rider’s head cool, according to Specialized.

That’s because the design team spent nearly half their time working on ventilation, explained Specialized aerodynamicist Chris Yu.

Did they spend the other half of their time working on safety...you know like making a helmet that protects your noggin?

fatallightning
07-01-2013, 08:25 PM

Last year teams were gluing the covers on the Lazer helmets to get around the rule and we saw riders changing helmets late in stages.

Helmet manufacturers have now gone to redesigning road helmets for better aerodynamics. Specialized has their new helmet at the tour with a front area taken from their wind tunnel work with McLaren F1. All the venting is on the very front (1 vent) and the sides, with nothing on top. the helmet is said to be worth 1 second/kilometer at speeds of 40km/h and a little more at 50km/h.

The KASK with adjustable venting is a cool idea.

The Giro Air Attack (the one that looks like a skate helmet) is not so appealing as ventilation is limited.

Watch the TT helmets this year as well. Sky is using the KASK Bambino, a short tail, rounded back helmet that they developed for track racing. It is supposed to be aerodynamically almost the same as the long tail helmets when the rider's head is in position but does not generate the air brake effect when they turn their head or look down.

BK
The Air Attack, despite not looking very comfy, actually vents well. I wore it doing back to back crits in 90* and didn't die. I also have had a Casco Warp, and that was unbearable for anything longer then a kilo effort.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/581958_10151633184173158_1010820493_o.jpg