PDA

View Full Version : New ultegra Di2 and hydraulic road brakes

rinconryder
06-30-2013, 12:36 PM
Shimano taking it to the next level. The hydro levers are amazing - can barely tell the difference from a standard lever.

http://www.bikerumor.com/2013/06/30/shimano-unveils-hydraulic-road-discs-with-r785-di2-system-and-11-speed-ultegra-di2/

ORMojo
06-30-2013, 01:01 PM
There is a lot to like in those announcements.

Not available until ~November . . . gives me plenty of time to find a Di2 road frame. Been looking for months, haven't found the right one. Well, maybe "road" frame is too restrictive a description. Must accommodate discs, will need to work with centerlock rotors, so could be 130 or 135 in the rear. Hmmm...

fourflys
06-30-2013, 01:09 PM
A November release isn't very wise from a cross perspective though... I wonder if they'll be a non-Di2 version?

oldpotatoe
06-30-2013, 04:24 PM
A November release isn't very wise from a cross perspective though... I wonder if they'll be a non-Di2 version?

Now that there are cross hydros, we'll see how the Euro racers take to it.

shovelhd
06-30-2013, 04:54 PM
The hydraulics don't do anything for me, but that 6870 gearset looks fantastic.

rinconryder
06-30-2013, 05:07 PM
Yeah - I am going to stay away from hydros for the road but the new electronic stuff does look spot on. I have been riding the old Di2 and swear by it. I can't recall a missed shift since I have been on it. It just works and that is the best part.

David Kirk
06-30-2013, 05:32 PM
I like that the wet brakes, combined with the super small switches in the Di2 levers can come together to make a normal sized hood. I doubt this is possible with a cable shifter.

dave

shovelhd
06-30-2013, 06:05 PM
Yeah - I am going to stay away from hydros for the road but the new electronic stuff does look spot on. I have been riding the old Di2 and swear by it. I can't recall a missed shift since I have been on it. It just works and that is the best part.

I race hacked 7970. The best I have ever ridden.

AngryScientist
06-30-2013, 06:22 PM
i just hope this doesnt spell the end of non-disk ultegra hubs. i was counting on ultegra as the new go-to for 11-sp hubs, especially since shimano 11 and campy 11 are interchangeable from a functionality standpoint. here's hoping.

LJohnny
06-30-2013, 06:31 PM
It would be really interesting if the old ultegra di2 could be made compatible with the new 11 speed one via software and just having to purchase a new cassette. Doubtful tough

mike p
06-30-2013, 07:44 PM
Call me a luddite but I can see absolutely no need for these on a road bike. Mountain yes, cross I guess, road nope.

Mike

oldpotatoe
07-01-2013, 06:56 AM
Call me a luddite but I can see absolutely no need for these on a road bike. Mountain yes, cross I guess, road nope.

Mike

There really isn't. Some really small segment with zillion $ carbon wheels coupled with huge descents, or those who commute when it's pouring rain or snow. Small segments. Or for cross, since they self adjust, is good but 11s for cross, not sure that's a good idea. Sounds like you can make the 6870 Di2 10s, a better idea for cross.

But here it tis, new frames, new hubs, new wheels, blah, blah, for that 20 mile sunday ride..."time to die", like Bladerunner, or at least leave. Good timing for me.

Be willing to bet that the Euros in cross, who are the standard, because of the weight and lack of complexity, will still use 10s and cantis.

No pricing but I bet the wet hydros, ultegra Di2 'group' will be pushing $3000.

NRRider
07-01-2013, 07:04 AM
Just reading about these for the first time. Any studies about whether standard carbon road forks can handle what would seem to be the added stress of applying the braking pressure closer to the hub as opposed to near the crown? Or are these just for forks specially built for road disc?

oldpotatoe
07-01-2013, 07:09 AM
Just reading about these for the first time. Any studies about whether standard carbon road forks can handle what would seem to be the added stress of applying the braking pressure closer to the hub as opposed to near the crown? Or are these just for forks specially built for road disc?

DejaVue all over again. Frames, forks, hubs(probably 135..ultegra are 135mm only), rotors, mounting, etc, will all be new and unique..or if they aren't, some broken forks and frames certainly will be seen. Frames will get heavier as will forks, groups too, hubs as well. I find it interesting that something that was developed for a MTB in crappy, wet, muddy conditions are being morphed into recreational, enthusiasts road bicycles, where most don't even ride when it's sprinkling.

oh well.

sg8357
07-01-2013, 07:18 AM
I think I'll run the hydro brakes/levers with bar-cons,
that'll be a good Vermont tourist setup.

Rivendell will be doing a Di2 d/t shifter.

that guy
07-01-2013, 12:24 PM
Just to clear things up, there are two separate product announcements here:

Ultegra 6870 goes 11 speed with Di2 shifting

New R785 hydraulic stuff is non-series, "ultegra-level" and NOT part of the Ultegra group. Designed to work with 9070 or 6870 groups.

rice rocket
07-02-2013, 09:54 AM

I don't get what your concern is. Are you thinking of bonding some post-mounts to your current road fork?