PDA

View Full Version : Advice Needed: Tandem Car Rack

ORMojo
06-30-2013, 12:14 PM
OK, I found a Co-Motion Periscope Tandem, it will be here in a week or so.

Now I need to find the right rack to carry it on the car. We spend a lot of time away from the primary residence, and are almost always taking 3-5 bikes with us. I'm spoiled by all of the good qualities of our Thule T2 and 1UpUSA racks, and don't want the tandem racking to be a PITA. Both cars have hitch mounts and roof racks . . .

This is available locally:
http://images.craigslist.org/3G93M23H95If5G55F3d5o8039cb8fcc471325.jpghttp://images.craigslist.org/3G23Ia3Hc5Le5Fc5H9d5o973fa9704d13126b.jpg
http://www.tandemseast.com/parts/images/DraftmasterAd1Pic.jpg
Advantages as I see it: Can carry the tandem and four other bikes behind the car; Relatively small footprint . . . but the rack is apparently very heavy, the tandem still sticks up above the roof line, and if I want to carry only the tandem it is overkill.

One of these is also available locally:
http://www.shop1auto.com.au/Images%20bike%20racks/Thule_Tandem_558P_lift-up_300pix.jpg
Obviously carries the disadvantages of a roof rack, and I would need to get adapters (only works with round rails), but still allows the use of the T2/1Up for the other bikes, and is minimal when only carrying the tandem.

Experiences with either? Other suggestions?

Thanks!

stien
06-30-2013, 01:54 PM
I'm going to recommend the one that swings, front wheel first then the rear. Seems soo much easier. I've got two tandems and no racks, so I can't speak from experience. I've got two 1UP racks and a modified Thule so no room for a tandem rack.

JasonF
06-30-2013, 02:28 PM
This may sound like heresy, but I use a "regular" Thule Archway trunk-mounted bike carrier to transport my tandem. I know it's not officially approved for a tandem, but have never had a problem with highway driving, fast turns, etc...My tandem is a Co-Motion Primera (one downtube).

I am careful to make sure that the carrier is very securely attached to the car, the straps are nice and tight, and use extra bungees to prevent any additional swaying that a larger bike may experience on a carrier. For long highway trips I will remove both wheels and in that way, the weight is less than two or three road bikes.

FWIW, I use this setup on a 2013 Audi S4 - not a big car.

IFRider
07-01-2013, 10:59 AM
We have two Co-motion Periscopes and I went down the path of figuring out the best way to carry. I had always used a Thule roof system for the singles and was very happy.

When we got the first tandem, I realized lifting the tandem to the roof of our Honda Pilot was going to be a nightmare as I typically needed to do it myself and the height was going to be a problem. I looked at the tandem hitches that fork mount and rotate, but that was going to be really expensive for two and I was not seeing it work with the hieght of the Pilot.

The Draftmaster rack looked nice, but I was not able to see one in person. I ultimately chose to use a Thule hitch mount (http://www.discountramps.com/thule-roadway-5-bike-rack.htm). I went with the model that carries 5 bikes to get a little extra room between the bikes.

If you remove the front and rear wheels on the Periscope, the length is not a problem. I put the wheels in the car and use Pedro chain (http://pedros.com/products/clean-and-lube/clean-andlube-tools-and-kits/chain-keeper/) hanger to keep the chain from flapping around.

I am able to carry the two tandems and a single easily. I am also able to use the rack to hold the tandems for some minor tuning when away from the house.

Enjoy,

Warren

ColonelJLloyd
07-01-2013, 12:17 PM
I use my Softride Dura 4 and just remove the front wheel of the tandem. This might not work out all that well once I install fenders, but it's fine now.

bikingshearer
07-01-2013, 12:53 PM
I suggest getting the rooftop model. I have the Yakima version and it works very well as long as you have some way to keep the handlebars from turning while loading and unloading.

I prefer roof-top racks in general. I have control over what I drive under, but I don't have control over idiots driving behind me. I really don't want to turn a fender-bender into a destroyed bike. (It hasn't happened yet while I've had a bike on board, but for some reason I've had someone low-speed rear-end me in every car I have owned since 1990. Maybe my cars have a "kick me" sign that can be seen byeveryone exccept me.) )

weisan
07-01-2013, 01:12 PM
Got a periscope two months ago, just took the front wheel off and transported on regular Yakima 4-bike hitch-mount carrier.

Zero problem.

Overkill.

eddief
07-01-2013, 01:21 PM
When I owned an LWB recumbent, I popped for one of these:

http://www.rockymounts.com/TandemMount_R4_bike_rack_p/0512.htm

Slicker than poo. I really could get the fork locked into the front mount while the back wheel was still on the ground and then literally pivot myself as I gently guided the back wheel all the way up to the tray. Slowly slowly lifting the bike as I went. Might need a step stool for the last step, but otherwise a crazy good design.

•A pivoting headset allows you to easily load your tandem by yourself.
•Take the front wheel off your bike and lift your tandem from the ground onto the fork mount. Once the fork is clamped in, lift the rear wheel onto the tray, and boom! You will only have to lift half the bike's weight at once.

•Designed for tandems and recumbents with up to a 78" wheelbase.

•Telescopic to also fit single bikes.

KidWok
07-01-2013, 01:52 PM
I've just been using a standard hitch receiver rack to transport my tandems. The wheels hang a bit wider than my Jetta, but not so much that I can't get through traffic. Just have to be a bit more careful is all.

Tai

dekindy
07-01-2013, 02:06 PM
http://www.cyclesimplex.com/index.asp

I was researching racks for our new delta recumbents and discovered Cycle Simplex, a rack supplier that I was not familiar. The designs are unique.

For the recumbent delta, the weight is supported low, by the rear wheels and hung vertically. This provides for ease of loading, no horizontal length that is wider than vehicle, tires absorb road vibration, no contact of rack with frame, and least amount of stress on hitch. Only negative is height which can be managed.

For regular bikes the bike is held in place by the wheels and crank. For tandem this applies also and in addition, the front wheel tray can be positioned sideways minimizing length so that tandem is not wider than vehicle.

Just another option to consider.

carpediemracing
07-01-2013, 02:48 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-M-dU-xiSBkc/UUcDhLjeR-I/AAAAAAAAEtg/PtSBM-ekzjI/s800/DSC_1014.JPG

We use the Thule tandem mount. Although I suppose we could do the swinging fork thing I just put the tandem up like a normal single bike (it's a touch under 40 lbs with the front wheel on, don't know what it weighs without it). I grab the fork and the forward seat tube and put the bike up, back tire on tray, fork into mount. The tandem mount is toward the outside of the car, on the curb side so if we're parked at a curb I get the benefit of standing on the curb (and not putting the bike down in traffic).

The single bikes fit further in or on the other side.

It's a solid mount but the skewer doesn't lock. I didn't look into a locking skewer, if one exists, because we don't leave the tandem unattended.

On our prior Honda Civic (normal feet, not the ones that attach to a factory mount) as well as in the Jetta Sportswagen above we traveled with 2 single bikes and the tandem, at least 5 hours each way, max speeds in the 75-80 mph range, no problems.

I don't remember if I replaced them but I think I did - all the wing nut type things have been replaced with regular nuts. You need a wrench to remove the race. We leave it bolted to the bars, removing the whole set up when we need to. The tail of the tandem mount isn't on in the picture, it stays in the garage usually.

Chance
07-01-2013, 03:27 PM

When we got the first tandem, I realized lifting the tandem to the roof of our Honda Pilot was going to be a nightmare as I typically needed to do it myself and the height was going to be a problem. I looked at the tandem hitches that fork mount and rotate, but that was going to be really expensive for two and I was not seeing it work with the hieght of the Pilot.

Agree. On taller SUVs lifting a heavy tandem onto roof is harder than it looks for one person unless he's very tall and or strong, and is almost out of the question for most women. And the pivoting racks often don't work if the SUV or vehicle is tall compared to tandem's wheelbase.

My tandem rides inside now, but previously went on a standard fork-mount rack. At 30 pounds it just took a little practice to get the balance right to put it on the roof of a compact SUV by myself. Concern was that it would get away from me and fall on car roof scratching it up but it never happened.