PDA

View Full Version : Question for the Mods: *!#$

2LeftCleats
06-30-2013, 07:51 AM
Does the forum have a language policy?

In many threads, various symbols are used to slightly disguise a curse word. So I wondered if there is a policy about the use of the actual words. I see the real things all over the internet, so I don't believe there's a federal restriction.

I guess the idea is not to be offensive to other forumites who may have different sensibilities. But I don't see this as a site likely to be visited by children and really, is anyone here mystified about the intended word behind ***** or Fu*k?

If there is a policy, then it seems that it ought to prohibit the "look alikes" as well.

Personally, I'm fine with all the words, but I was just wondering.

oldpotatoe
06-30-2013, 08:00 AM

In many threads, various symbols are used to slightly disguise a curse word. So I wondered if there is a policy about the use of the actual words. I see the real things all over the internet, so I don't believe there's a federal restriction.

I guess the idea is not to be offensive to other forumites who may have different sensibilities. But I don't see this as a site likely to be visited by children and really, is anyone here mystified about the intended word behind ***** or Fu*k?

If there is a policy, then it seems that it ought to prohibit the "look alikes" as well.

Personally, I'm fine with all the words, but I was just wondering.

F*ck You

Kidding!!!!

I see bleep's on TVs and it so obvious what the guy said..

Just a four letter word, like 'retail', oh wait, that's 5...or 6...

CNY rider
06-30-2013, 08:05 AM
Just don't mention "Swoop" and you should be fine.

Tony T
06-30-2013, 08:12 AM

Looks like it:
From the The Paceline User Agreement (http://forums.thepaceline.net/announcement.php?f=3):

• Objectionable Content: You may not post any messages that are obscene, vulgar....

Bruce K
06-30-2013, 09:49 AM
This is a forum and not a locker room

We have people of all kinds here and some do not appreciate the explicit use of that type of language as many of us do not really know each other all that well.

Keith would know better but I believe the software would prevent you from even posting most of those words

BK

2LeftCleats
06-30-2013, 09:59 AM
This is a forum and not a locker room

We have people of all kinds here and some do not appreciate the explicit use of that type of language as many of us do not really know each other all that well.

Keith would know better but I believe the software would prevent you from even posting most of those words

BK

Well, this is my point. Are people less offended with the thinly disguised words? I doubt it. Just because the software won't bother with * and !, won't make it any less offensive. I've not seen any complaints about the acceptable versions, so my thought is that its just silly to go through the contortions, darn it.

Gummee
06-30-2013, 10:10 AM
Don't forget the net nannies some companies have in place to report on your browsing habits.

Not using words that will trip the detectors is a good thing. Nicht war?

M

AngryScientist
06-30-2013, 10:34 AM
yes, there is a language policy.

no, the software will not bleep out every imaginative variation of the words.

the software is in place to discourage people from using potentially offensive language, and realistically, adults should be able to express themselves with dictionary words, and not have to resort to offensive language to get a point across.

Ahneida Ride
06-30-2013, 10:44 AM
As of lately .... I have noticed a deterioration of the language.
I am most glad to see that I am NOT the only one.

This is not in the spirit or decorum of this Phorum .... :butt:

I hope this will stop.

Again.... this is NOT in the the proud tradition of this fine establishment.

Let's clean up our acts.....

Tony T
06-30-2013, 11:03 AM
My favorite is that the software bleeps *** (w_t_f)

slidey
06-30-2013, 11:38 AM
Hey Friar Tuck,
why the flyin' ****,
is this even an issue
with you?

Well, this is my point. Are people less offended with the thinly disguised words? I doubt it.

2LeftCleats
06-30-2013, 12:34 PM
The language itself isn't an issue with me. I use the words frequently in conversation, often it seems to motorists grazing me with their sideview mirrors.

My issue, trivial as it may be, is that if there's a forum code to follow, seems that the use of the symbols violates the spirit and just looks kind of childish and stupid. This is an adult forum; maybe we should be able to use adult language within reason. (Yeah, I know, who defines 'within reason'). There are certain instances where it would be perfectly appropriate--like the end of stage 1. Who among us wasn't watching that debacle and saying 'Whiskey Tango Foxtrot'? (I typed in the abbreviation and got *** in the preview)

Lewis Moon
06-30-2013, 12:35 PM
As of lately .... I have noticed a deterioration of the language.
I am most glad to see that I am NOT the only one.

This is not in the spirit or decorum of this Phorum .... :butt:

I hope this will stop.

Again.... this is NOT in the the proud tradition of this fine establishment.

Let's clean up our acts.....

I'm offended by the excretory nature of your avatar.

AngryScientist
06-30-2013, 12:45 PM
This is an adult forum; maybe we should be able to use adult language within reason.

i'm closing this thread. sorry, but the use of foul language does nothing to enhance the forum, if anything it will drive some folks away. we cant police everything, but we're going to maintain some sense of class here. keep it clean and above the belt please folks.