PDA

View Full Version : PSA: Lots of stuff cheap at Bike Tires Direct until 7/2

Bruce K
06-29-2013, 09:05 PM
I just picked up some Michelin Pro 4 Service Course tires for 50% off.

BK

WickedWheels
06-30-2013, 10:41 AM
What happened to supporting your LBS, Bruce?

I know you have plenty of good ones near you... some that may have even been able to come close to matching those pricing for you.

4Rings6Stars
06-30-2013, 12:57 PM
What happened to supporting your LBS, Bruce?

I know you have plenty of good ones near you... some that may have even been able to come close to matching those pricing for you.

Probably couldn't come close.

And probably Bruce's call where he spends his hard earned dollhairs....

AngryScientist
06-30-2013, 01:33 PM
Probably couldn't come close.

And probably Bruce's call where he spends his hard earned dollhairs....

i agree on both counts.

Bruce K
06-30-2013, 02:34 PM
I support my LBS every way I can but 1/2 price tires are something no brick and mortar can touch (and we've discussed it)

So I don't embarrass them by asking

BK

rnhood
06-30-2013, 02:44 PM
I support my LBS every way I can but 1/2 price tires are something no brick and mortar can touch (and we've discussed it)

So I don't embarrass them by asking

BK

Same here. Most of my money goes to a LBS but on perishable items I will go on line if the savings is significant....which for me usually means more than a 15% savings.

SPOKE
06-30-2013, 02:46 PM
I just picked up some Michelin Pro 4 Service Course tires for 50% off.

BK

What's the regular price?

akelman
06-30-2013, 02:50 PM
What's the regular price?

Voila. (http://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/michelin-pro4-service-course-tire)

WickedWheels
06-30-2013, 03:26 PM
After nearly 2 decades peddling bike parts I'm certainly not objective on this, however...

Consumers vote with their dollars. When you go online to a place that's known for undercutting pricing you're not just hurting your LBS. Your decision has an impact on your surrounds, however small you think it is. Perhaps it means that you're contributing to another mechanics getting underpaid. Or that extra dollar didn't go to your support your local school system. At some point you have to be a responsible consumer and look beyond the gratification of "getting a deal". There are other options for being frugal. Perhaps, not riding that high-end of a tire... a model down is a great tire as well. Perhaps it's simply deciding where that saved dollar will make more of a difference... in your pocket or your local business.

At my shop our club riders get a 20% discount. That means that this tire is $60, not $75. We also cover installation to add value. If a customer came to me with such a price I would've split the difference between mail order pricing and MSRP. Yes, I'd be asking you to spend an extra $35, but again... installation is included. It's not an unreasonable request from a local store to a responsible consumer.

In this case it's not just your LBS that you're affecting. I have customer that are members of this forum. You're advertising a deal from a mail order discount place, so you're affecting MY business as well. Frankly, I think it's more than just irresponsible... I think it's offensive.

Bruce, you're a great guy. I enjoyed dealing with you when I was at the Loft. But you're a moderator on this forum, right? When I posted something for sale (for a customer, not myself) I was told that as a retailer this is a "no-no", but you're flat out advertising for a mail order place. I don't think that I'm out of line calling "bull$h!t" on this. Take a look at how many people saw this thread to see if it's affecting local retailers. (yes, I know I'm contributing to its visibility by posting).

firerescuefin
06-30-2013, 03:38 PM
Tell me about how you and your family only support local business and don't go to target/Walmart/large chains. Cuts both ways if you're going to take it to the extent your post does.

buddybikes
06-30-2013, 03:43 PM
no big deal, can find pro 4's last year model all over the net....

firerescuefin
06-30-2013, 03:46 PM
I'm on here quite a bit...my impression of you (if asked) is that you talk about your shop and have put some stuff up for sale.....not good/not bad...but if somebody asked me....that's what I would have said. Peter (Old Potatoe) is a resource and has sweat equity in this place. He knows the game (LBS vs. Ebay vs Internet Stores) and differentiates himself well through building a presence (both locally and on this forum) My LBS for the most part are not the best. I've driven 90 minutes each way to have my bike serviced there (Vecchios)...and Peter, by his helpful presence here, has had infinitely more to do with me buying at my LBS (Which I have purchased 2 bikes in the last year...one for wife...one for son) than the rants/opinions of people like yourself making the "argument" why I should or shouldn't do something.

Chris
06-30-2013, 03:48 PM
Tell me about how you and your family only support local business and don't go to target/Walmart/large chains. Cuts both ways if you're going to take it to the extent your post does.

This. My buddy who owns a local shop and pisses and moans (sometimes for good reason) had no problem telling me about how much he saved on appliances for his house by ordering on the net.

AngryScientist
06-30-2013, 04:12 PM
Another thread closed today. Posting good deals for the good of the forum is one of the nice things about this place, helping each other out. We're all adults and can decide when and how to support local shops. Thanks for playing folks.

Bruce K
06-30-2013, 04:14 PM
The Pro 4's were $37.50 each vs $75.00 list

I bought 6 - 2 that I need right now, 2 for the shelf, and 2 for my friend to take advantage of free shipping

BK