PDA

View Full Version : Ambrosio USA distributor

musgravecycles
12-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Quick question, who's bringing Ambrosio rims into the states these days, I've lost track…

I'm about to build up a new set of tubular wheels for myself. The build will be 32-hole Phil hubs laced 3x shod in Veloflex roubaix rubber. My primary criteria are durability and the smooth-road feel of low profile rims. Weight comes in a distant third (like it could be any higher with phil hubs in the mix...)

Here's your chance to have some input. I'm having a heck of a time making a decision on the rims though. My two main candidates (unless anybody's got a pair of paris-roubaix's they’d hook a bro up with) are the venerable Reflex and the Ambrosio Nemesis.

I dig the Nemesis for their strength, old-school look, grey finish, plus their different than everyone else's hoops...

The silver Reflex's are easier to come by, cheaper, more consistent braking and you don't have to worry about the sidewall finish wearing through.

Thoughts...

Spicoli
12-15-2005, 02:32 PM
Ital-tecno.com

musgravecycles
12-15-2005, 02:38 PM
Ital-tecno.com

Yeah they are good guys, I just bought a couple of NOS Cinelli XA's and a grammo from them yesterday.

shaq-d
12-15-2005, 03:42 PM
Ital-tecno.com

wow, i didn't know they had their own store. i've bought their cinelli anatomic handlebars off their ebay store all this while... the bars are great btw if you like anatomic.. anyway they're awesome, especially if you're on the east coast, they shipped to me like instantly..

sd

Spicoli
12-15-2005, 04:06 PM
Yeah they are good guys, I just bought a couple of NOS Cinelli XA's and a grammo from them yesterday.
How come you did not get some Ambrosio's while you had the chance? I have gushed about F20's a million times on the forum, they are still my absolute favorite wheels. I have built up quite the collection of Ambrosio wheelsets and they are not going anyplace anytime soon. I find myself looking for things I dont need from those guy's so I can have an excuse too build up another set.
I dig reflex's but the wide arse rim is kinda funky. Italiano all the way generally worksout better for me.

Just my opinion, Jeff

musgravecycles
12-15-2005, 04:16 PM
Jeff,

I didn't purchase them yet because I still haven't made up my mind. You and I have also had some private conversations about the F20's and I am grateful for your observations, and respect your opinion/input. However I decided that the F20's were a little light for the intended usage of these wheels. In all likely-hood they will never wear rubber less than 24mm, and will eventually see usage in various parts of the world (with 27's).

If I was building up a set of race wheels then I would absolutely pick up a set of F20's...

Spicoli
12-15-2005, 05:28 PM
Oh no, I was not saying get the F20's I think the Nemisis hoops would make a sweet wheelset with the PW hubs. Nemisis hoops are just a beefed up version of F20's anyway, they are probably the same thing just rebadged after the dies get worn out and make heavier rims. It would be a nice, tough wheelset and you get those cool little valve badges on the Nemisis hoops too(hehehe) :D

It is a hoop of choice for almost all the classics, thats a pretty good endorsment in my book.

zank
12-15-2005, 06:48 PM
Ochsner

musgravecycles
12-15-2005, 09:16 PM
Zank, checked there already, they droped them...

Spicoli, they are in fact the same rim on an old/worn die. Emotionally I'm leaning towards the ambrosio's...

zank
12-16-2005, 08:43 AM
That's a bummer. There goes my wheelset idea for next season.

big D
12-16-2005, 10:58 AM
Go to Marinoni in Canada and they carry all the rims.

Big D

CalfeeFly
12-16-2005, 11:21 AM
Go to Marinoni in Canada and they carry all the rims.

Big D

They pop right up in a Google search. Marioni then has a link to Ambrosio. Although the opening page is in Italian if you pick the catalog you can switch to English. It shows all the rims with their weights and such things.

I have F20's with King hubs and they are a very strong yet light rim.