PDA

View Full Version : Sidi Wire Vent sizing?

bluesea
06-28-2013, 02:01 PM
Thinking of ordering, but wonder which size to try first. Reports indicate the Wire Vent is a bit wider than the Sidi norm.

My last two shoes were the 2012 S-Works Road in 45.5, and Sidi 6.6 45 mega. The S-Works runs a bit long with good forefoot width, if not just a hair wide. The Specialized low arch pads (red) work, but still have too much arch for my needs.

Louis
06-28-2013, 03:21 PM
Not to be impolite, and this isn't what you asked, but one option (and what I do) is to buy your shoes from your LBS. I figure it's a good way to support them and I'm getting something valuable in return.

bluesea
06-28-2013, 03:45 PM
This is Hawaii--we all pay through the nose for shipping. The upshot of that plus the fact of a small cycling population is the LBS are extremely reluctant to stock a good variety.

pdmtong
06-28-2013, 05:42 PM

pdmtong
06-28-2013, 05:42 PM
take a look here (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=130721&highlight=sidi+wire)

bluesea
06-28-2013, 09:30 PM
People need to make their own budget choices...all I can say is the Wire is fantastic and improved AND there is a fit nuance to consider. I'd probably prefer a matte finish over the vernice, but I'm not that picky. As for the price, just note the most expensive purchase/shoe is the one you have to buy TWICE.

I am a 44.5 in ergo 2 and 6.6. A 44.5 would be way too big in the Wire. Big heel gap and noticeable lift.

44.0 is perfect and 43.5 clearly too small. Glad this helps

I too started out with G5's....but I quickly found that the 6.6 was nicer than the G5 (less slop), and then the ergo 2 (even lesser slop (in the heel)) nicer than the 6.6.

Tangible (for me) differences that ultimately were worth the premium to enjoy.

Arguably one place on the bike where comfort and performance must intersect to optimize the experience.

Nice write up--helpful.

Looks like I'll eventually try a 45 Wire. My 45 mega 6.6 gave the forefoot width I needed, but had too much vertical volume. In the meantime I picked up a pair of 2013 S-Works this morning, and they have much less vertical volume than the 2012.

Mikej
06-29-2013, 10:27 AM
I guess you could call ccolorodo cyclist or competitive cyclist and order 3 pair for fitting and send the other 2 unused pair back. I've grown to just accept the outrageous cost of my vanity, it ain't easy being this cool. Upside is they will last 5 plus years EASY. Sidis are like ti frames, you get new ones cuz you're bored, not cuz they wore out. I'd go with ergo over wire.

pdmtong
06-29-2013, 05:01 PM
I guess you could call ccolorodo cyclist or competitive cyclist and order 3 pair for fitting and send the other 2 unused pair back. I've grown to just accept the outrageous cost of my vanity, it ain't easy being this cool. Upside is they will last 5 plus years EASY. Sidis are like ti frames, you get new ones cuz you're bored, not cuz they wore out. I'd go with ergo over wire.

Actually my ergo 2s did wear out. Not the sole but stupidly the mesh lining around the heel cup in both shoes. Once the fabric started to fail there was no stopping the ever growing holes. Not the best reason but I made it enough of a reason to get the wires. Shock to me how much nicer they are

bluesea
06-29-2013, 05:57 PM
Ymmv of course, but shoes are arguably the most critical contact point. My point of view these days, is do what you have to do to make it right.

Mikej
06-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Actually my ergo 2s did wear out. Not the sole but stupidly the mesh lining around the heel cup in both shoes. Once the fabric started to fail there was no stopping the ever growing holes. Not the best reason but I made it enough of a reason to get the wires. Shock to me how much nicer they are

Yeah, mine too actually - my dragon Mtb too. But they are still functional for me.