PDA

View Full Version : Look’s new 695 Aerolight

enr1co
06-28-2013, 09:48 AM
This may be old news to Look aficianados but thought this was pretty trick looking :banana:

http://velonews.competitor.com/2013/06/gallery/gallery-looks-new-695-aerolight_292306

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/view/312-659x440.jpg

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/view/153-659x440.jpg

I also like the Mondrian top tube paint!

http://imagehost.vendio.com/a/3577307/view/214-659x440.jpg

Kirk Pacenti
06-28-2013, 09:56 AM
wholly integration batman!

4Rings6Stars
06-28-2013, 10:17 AM
I think it looks great.

Real tests will be: Does it work? Does the structure of the frame/fork suffer? Does the ride quality of the frame/fork suffer? How difficult is it to work on / set up and adjust the brake?

pdmtong
06-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Not happy they decided to validate trek's return to the u-brake...I suppose as long as I am creeping back towards metal frames you won't see this on my bikes

Do like the clean look thought - but, at what cost?

charliedid
06-28-2013, 10:52 AM
It will be just a minute sir, we need to clean out your linear brake port.

norcalbiker
06-28-2013, 11:00 AM
I think it looks great.

Real tests will be: Does it work? Does the structure of the frame/fork suffer? Does the ride quality of the frame/fork suffer? How difficult is it to work on / set up and adjust the brake?

You ask every questions I have in mind. :bike:

texbike
06-28-2013, 11:03 AM
Kinda cool looking, but this is just another example of the over-the-top integration (re: proprietary) trend that leads to super expensive bikes that become obsolete as quickly as the next big thing appears.

I'm sure it handles, rides, and accelerates better than my Vamoots (especially if someone else is riding it), but I prefer a simpler platform with a lack of proprietary, integrated technology.

There is elegance in simplicity.

TXB

enr1co
06-28-2013, 11:13 AM
I think it looks great.

How difficult is it to work on / set up and adjust the brake?

Yeah, could be one of those " looks good from far but far from good" ideas :confused:

Hope they plan on getting all the sand off the brakes and wheels before riding ;)

slinkywizard
06-28-2013, 12:21 PM
I'm sure it handles, rides, and accelerates better than my Vamoots (especially if someone else is riding it), but I prefer a simpler platform with a lack of proprietary, integrated technology.

You could have the best of both worlds...on your Vamoots...;)

http://fairwheelbikes.com/thm-scapula-f-aero-carbon-fork-p-4110.html

If you can stomach shelling out 1400 USD for it...

The fork+brake weighs 340 g...

ColonelJLloyd
06-28-2013, 12:42 PM
Not something I'll ever own, but I agree that that's some impressive integration.

oldpotatoe
06-28-2013, 02:30 PM
You could have the best of both worlds...on your Vamoots...;)

http://fairwheelbikes.com/thm-scapula-f-aero-carbon-fork-p-4110.html

If you can stomach shelling out 1400 USD for it...

The fork+brake weighs 340 g...

Best?

Kirk Pacenti
06-28-2013, 02:47 PM
I think it looks great.

I think it looks good too. I also agree with all of your concerns. But for better or worse, I believe we are getting a glimpse of exactly where the bicycle industry is headed in the decade(s) to come.

For lack of a better example, I liken these developments to what's been happening in the auto industry for a long time; ever higher levels of industrial design, ergonomics and component integration will become the norm. I won't label this as "good" or "bad", it just is. But from a bicycle companies perspective, it's probably good business. Raise the bar high enough and competitors fall by the wayside. Soon we may have 10 or so huge bicycle companies world wide, and dozens or hundreds of 'hot-rod' shops (custom builders). Bike companies in the the middle (1,000 - 2,000 bikes per year) may be squeezed out of existence...???

Cheers,
KP

slinkywizard
06-28-2013, 04:10 PM
Best?

The winking smiley was put in there for a reason...:) The triathlete in me kind of likes integrated brakes though...Mechanically, they make sense imho, if one sees the fork legs as giant, super rigid brake booster

CNY rider
06-28-2013, 04:11 PM
The average cyclist (99% of us on this forum) needs this like they need a hole drilled in their head.

slinkywizard
06-28-2013, 04:14 PM
The average cyclist (99% of us on this forum) needs this like they need a hole drilled in their head.

Getting a hole drilled in my head would not put a grin on my face...doing a couple of passes on that look would...:)

rain dogs
06-28-2013, 04:46 PM
I've always loved Look frames. I owned a Look frame, but the designers who are working on these bikes are missing something (I feel) is a simple rule of aesthetics.

Forward facing wedge = looks fast
Backward facing wedge = looks slow

I think the newest gen of these frames should read: LOOK (away)

Maybe it'd look cool if you're 6' and riding a 51cm, but for carbon I think the new Orbeas are far nicer looking (but sure don't have all the tricks)

http://cdn.velonews.competitor.com/files/2013/06/Orca_MG_8498-659x440.jpg

Dave B
06-28-2013, 04:48 PM
Hasn't Ridley already achieved this?

rain dogs
06-28-2013, 04:54 PM
Hasn't Ridley already achieved this?

This was as far as Ridley got, no, with the Noah?

http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/news/2011/06/23/1308907342201-hri5rk1e1bti-670-70.jpg

Although I'm not sure if the Look solution is better or worse. Seems to be more aero, perhaps... and the Look solution doesn't have the awful V-brake "noodle" sticking out the side. I think it goes down the steerer tube.

charliedid
06-28-2013, 05:22 PM

You win.

oldpotatoe
06-29-2013, 07:29 AM
The winking smiley was put in there for a reason...:) The triathlete in me kind of likes integrated brakes though...Mechanically, they make sense imho, if one sees the fork legs as giant, super rigid brake booster

The mechanic in me sees otherwise, having worked on these on specialized and BMC to mention 2. PLUS they feel like absolute crap, soft, spongy. We had to drill a teeny hole in the big chainring(solid), to be able to access the wee set screw, spring adjust on the brake under the BB..brilliant design.

djg
06-29-2013, 07:37 AM
I dunno. It looks cool, might work great for all I know, and I hope there's a non-integrated version. Finding good brakes for a road bike is not a problem that needed to be solved (which is not to say they shouldn't try their hand at it), and for real world road riding, including racing, neither was the horrendous (if, er . . . imperceptible) drag imposed by a set of Record or DA calipers. Many folks might prefer to avoid being tethered to a system. Even if you're game to try their brakes, if you're ultimately unhappy, or need to replace them, or need to find parts, etc., you might want other options.

earlfoss
06-29-2013, 08:28 AM
Look always has always been a pretty innovative company. I wouldn't be surprised if this bike rides great in addition to looking nice. They are a top end company and they're not putting out a whole lot of junk that falls apart or looks sketchy.

I loved those crazy TT bikes the ONCE team rode back in the day with the huge downtubes, and the Jalabert era road bikes they were on.

soulspinner
06-29-2013, 08:49 AM

With ya on this..........

gasproject
06-29-2013, 04:49 PM
I like it a lot. Factor bikes are trying to do the same thing with integration, albeit with a whole lot of electronics as part of the package. We might be on the cusp of something. I hate cables.

4Rings6Stars
06-29-2013, 05:15 PM

Since when had it been about need?

Do you need clipless pedals?

CNY rider
06-29-2013, 05:49 PM
Since when had it been about need?

Do you need clipless pedals?

Yes they clearly improve my ride experience.
Having a brake where that brake is looks like all kinds of trouble, and offers zero to me and anyone else riding and not being paid to do so.

SlackMan
06-29-2013, 06:01 PM
... but I prefer a simpler platform with a lack of proprietary, integrated technology.

There is elegance in simplicity.

TXB

^^^^^ Totally what he said. I have grown so weary of proprietary technology showing up on bikes, and even more so, on cars. I long for the simple.

bluesea
06-29-2013, 07:58 PM
Stuff like this makes me appreciate more the thriving custom frame sector that focuses on traditional build features. What a relief having reached the point where I don't even have an opinion on this kind of stuff anymore. :D