PDA

View Full Version : Repair stand recommendation?

jpw
03-04-2004, 12:16 PM
Would anyone care to recommend a bicycle repair stand?
Something that will stand the test of time and not fall over with precious bike clamped to it. Are tripod style stands any good?

Thanking you.

JohnS
03-04-2004, 12:21 PM
I'm cheap. I just put my bike in the stationary trainer.

Kevan
03-04-2004, 12:35 PM
Any of the Park stands will do. I went for the PCS-4 with adjustable height and folding legs. I think it will be passed on down through the Calfee-Kevan family line for generations to come.

Even I'm scared with the notion.

Ken Robb
03-04-2004, 12:35 PM
I like my Ultimate stand in all ways. The clamp is good, height adjustment is easy, the clamp and bike can be rotated in the stand, and it folds easily. There is a cheaper model with a plain screw-down clamp that is probably just as good for quite a bit less $$. When I bought mine it was on sale for about the same price as the plainer model so I got it. I have used a couple of the Park stands and liked them too but they didn't have the easy adjusting and folding without going higher in price. When working on a bike I find myself moving it up/down and rotating it in the stand for easy access to various parts of the bike. I would not want a stand that wasn't adjustable like this.

Doc Hollywood
03-04-2004, 12:45 PM
and it is pretty good. No height adjustment, but that's no biggie for me. Lightweight, pretty stable, and fairly portable.

I like the clamping mechanism and think that is one of it's good points when compared to other brands. Although I have no experience with them, stands with twist knobs to impart a clamping force seem more problematic.

Some people make their own, but for $100, the Park Consumer Stand is a pretty good deal.

Doc

Too Tall
03-04-2004, 12:54 PM
My old Park shop stand is "parked" outside my garage to hold bikes for quick swab downs.

An ultimate pro is my choice now. GREAT stand and it jacks up nice and Too Tall.

Climb01742
03-04-2004, 01:07 PM
i like my topeak. very easy to adjust and clamp can be slowly, carefully tightened. very stable. it was a christmas present, so i'm mercifully ignorant of its cost.

Chief
03-04-2004, 02:25 PM
I have an Ultimate Pro which in my view is an excellent stand. I found the best deal on it a few years back at Lickton's Bike.

Ozz
03-04-2004, 03:59 PM
I have the Ultimate Consumer stand...this is the one with the "screw down" clamp. It works just fine...

My in-laws gave it to me for Xmas so the price was right. I think it runs about $140 or so.

I've used it mainly for cleaning and lubing my bike. Nice feature is that the the clamp rotates so you can get to all areas of bike.

I think a bench mounted stand with height adjustment would be nice too.

tachyon
03-06-2004, 09:47 PM
IMO you can't go wrong with the Ultimate Pro stand. I have had one for four years and can't think of anything bad to say about it.

tachyon

Needs Help
03-07-2004, 12:39 AM
I have a repair stand and a stationary trainer. I don't use the trainer for indoor riding--indoor riding is too painful on my derriere--and I don't us my bicycle stand for repairs. The stationary trainer is my choice when I work on my bike, and I park it in the stationary trainer when I'm not riding it.

Now, if I can find a use for that repair stand. Coat rack?

Rich_W
03-07-2004, 04:12 PM
Very similar to the Ultimate stand, but with a built in bike and gram scale.

I have a feeling the Ultimate appears in 3 versions... Ultimate, WrenchForce, and Topeak. Topeak is the only one with the built in scale.

I personally have an 8 year old Park PRS-5 Stand. It has the same clamp as the pro workshop stands... easy to fold up and bag... but its not that stable, and tends sags in the tallest position.

If I were to buy a new one, which I might, I would get one of the Ultimate iterations.

I think its about time I post my PRS-5 on Ebay.

dnovo
03-07-2004, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Pro. Dave N.