PDA

View Full Version : 2014 Mazda3 hatch too swoopy for Louis?

eddief
06-27-2013, 09:29 AM
Looks decent, got a hatch, got a 6 speed auto or manual, got economy. Will this be the one?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/06/26/2014-mazda3-skyactiv-power-technology-display-pedals/2460127/

FlashUNC
06-27-2013, 09:32 AM
Looks Bangle BMW-ish.

josephr
06-27-2013, 09:41 AM
looks sweet...165hp and a 6-speed manual transmission? think I found the replacement for the minivan!

firerescuefin
06-27-2013, 09:42 AM
I see him more as a Trabant type of guy.

rice rocket
06-27-2013, 09:46 AM
Looks decent, got a hatch, got a 6 speed auto or manual, got economy. Will this be the one?

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2013/06/26/2014-mazda3-skyactiv-power-technology-display-pedals/2460127/

Never ever ever EVER buy an automatic Mazda. They've failed at transmissions since the 90s, and continue to under-spec them. 80-100k mi seems to be the average they last, and Mazda will continue to say "transmission fluid is lifetime, never needs to be changed". :crap:

(against my recommendation, my father has purchased no less than 3 Mazdas in the past 10 years and they all fail in the same way. I still have an 3rd gen RX-7 on jackstands, which is where they were made to be)

fiamme red
06-27-2013, 09:58 AM
Mods, please move this thread to the "Help Louis Buy a New Car" subforum. ;)

druptight
06-27-2013, 10:15 AM
I've got the 2004 Mazda 3 Hatch, first year they made it, standard transmission. Still going strong at 141K. Have a rack on top in case I need to carry 3+ bikes or more than 1 bike with 3+ people, but pretty much always just stuff bikes in the back when possible. It's been a delight thus far and I'm planning on driving it until the transmission fails or some other major work is required.

BumbleBeeDave
06-27-2013, 10:19 AM
. . . is whether there will also be a new Speed3. :)

BBD

Elefantino
06-27-2013, 10:20 AM
Looks Bangle BMW-ish.
And he's now designing for Samsung. Cell phone with an ugly butt coming to a Best Buy near you.

cp43
06-27-2013, 10:32 AM
Never ever ever EVER buy an automatic Mazda. They've failed at transmissions since the 90s, and continue to under-spec them. 80-100k mi seems to be the average they last, and Mazda will continue to say "transmission fluid is lifetime, never needs to be changed". :crap:

(against my recommendation, my father has purchased no less than 3 Mazdas in the past 10 years and they all fail in the same way. I still have an 3rd gen RX-7 on jackstands, which is where they were made to be)

A bit of drift, relating to RX-7's.

I was driving home from work one summer afternoon, and pulled up at a red light next to a third gen RX-7. The first thing I noticed was how quiet it was, it seemed almost silent. The second thing was the paint job, it was one of those that changes color depending on the angle of the light hitting it. The third thing I noticed was green fluid flowing out from under it.

The driver saw that I was looking at the road around/under his engine. He said to me "Is there coolant leaking out of my engine?" I replied, "Yes." He swore a bit under his breath. When the light turned green, he started it up, which explained why it had been so quiet, and drove off.

He had made a left turn, and I was going straight, so I have no idea how far he got with no coolant. They're beautiful cars, but you may be right, jack stands may be the best place for them.

Chris

spacemen3
06-27-2013, 10:48 AM
A broader selection of electronic safety aids available on the new Mazda3 include automatic high beam control, audible and visual blind-spot alert, lane departure warning, front collision warning, radar-based adaptive cruise control and "Smart City Brake Support" which can brake the car at speeds less than 19 mph when a laser detects an object ahead if the driver does not react.
Seriously, I thought this was a driver's car. And why do car makers insist on putting the side mirrors on the doors instead of the a-pillar? Looks dumb every time. A very nice design otherwise.

eddief
06-27-2013, 10:54 AM
did not notice that detail and I agree.

Seriously, I thought this was a driver's car. And why do car makers insist on putting the side mirrors on the doors instead of the a-pillar? Looks dumb every time. A very nice design otherwise.

Ken Robb
06-27-2013, 10:55 AM

Maybe because the a-pillar has to support the roof and putting holes in it to mount a mirror would weaken the structure?

pjm
06-27-2013, 12:41 PM
This one will be made in Mexico.

pjm
06-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Looks dumb every time..

I disagree. Sticking the mirror in the corner of the door and the A-pillar is the cheap way of doing it for the manufacturer. I applaud Mazda for putting it back on the door.

Louis
06-27-2013, 01:10 PM
Looks decent

Eddie, given that you're the guy who likes the Kia Soul, I'm not sure I'm going to trust you judgement on this one... ;)

eddief
06-27-2013, 01:45 PM
and still drive my silly little 2004 Rav4. Just seeing if you are listening.

Eddie, given that you're the guy who likes the Kia Soul, I'm not sure I'm going to trust you judgement on this one... ;)

atl001
06-27-2013, 08:37 PM
And why do car makers insist on putting the side mirrors on the doors instead of the a-pillar? Looks dumb every time.

I've read that the aerodynamics of a door-mounted side mirror are MUCH better.