PDA

View Full Version : Silver Skewers

sevencyclist
06-26-2013, 08:08 PM
Has anyone used either Aerozine or KCNC skewers? Any issues?

Other recommendations? The grey Dura Ace does not work for a shiny silver bike wheelset.

AngryScientist
06-26-2013, 08:20 PM
7900 skewers come in silver, and they are the best silver ones in current production, DA 9000 skewers also come in silver. get those.

http://www.tweakedsports.com/ebayimg/shimano/y26t98010.jpg

http://www.slowtwitch.com/articles/images/4/72624-largest_2_Dura_Ace_9000_skewer.jpg

one60
06-26-2013, 09:21 PM
I have been using silver kcnc ti shafted skewers on a steel frame as well as a ti bike with 6/4 dropouts rear & Al dropout up front for >4 years, >15k miles. No issues with slipping or any of the other gripes you may read about. They function just as well as internal cam skewers others will recommed. (I weigh @ 160 lbs)

They are light, well designed and safe. And they look good. No experience with the aerozine but have used far&near brand as well and wouldn't hesitate to recommend them either

tiretrax
06-26-2013, 09:58 PM
I like Salsa's. I can sell you a gently used pair.

d14vd_h
06-26-2013, 10:41 PM
I use zipps and think they look super clean and come in silver

scho74
06-26-2013, 10:41 PM
I like the Zipp skewers. Shiny, hold well, and about $40 for the pair.

ColonelJLloyd
06-26-2013, 10:49 PM
I also like the Zipps in silver. I prefer the ergonomics of the Shimanos, but I don't want them on a Campy wheelset.

I just bought a pair of Chinese titanium skewers for $15 shipped on eBay. I don't think I'll use them on a bike without vertical dropouts.

soulspinner
06-27-2013, 06:16 AM
One more for Zipp, no issues in forever, under 90 grams.............

Rueda Tropical
06-27-2013, 07:22 AM
I have the latest model Campagnolo in silver on my bike. It's a satin rather then shiny silver.

mktng
06-27-2013, 07:31 AM
Zipp Stainless Steel skewers.
Affordable.
Looks good
Holds good

Formulasaab
06-27-2013, 07:48 AM
Zipp Stainless Steel skewers.
Affordable.
Looks good
Holds good

Just to be clear... "Holds good" on horizontal dropouts?

d14vd_h
06-27-2013, 03:39 PM
I like Salsa's. I can sell you a gently used pair.

@tiretrax still availble? I'd be interested!

eBAUMANN
06-27-2013, 03:50 PM
Just to be clear... "Holds good" on horizontal dropouts?

Depends...chromed horizontals...get the strongest clampiest thing you can manage, screw weight savings or aerodynamics. I had a lightweight Ti skewer slip and snap in half (well maybe not HALF, just the end of it) on chromed horizontals, never again.

Painted horizontals...MAYBE, just maybe you could get away with a zipp/kcnc style skewer...

Personally, I wouldnt use anything but campy/shimano internal cam or salsa flip offs (they "holds good" also) on horizontal dropouts.

David Kirk
06-27-2013, 06:12 PM
One more for Zipp, no issues in forever, under 90 grams.............

I have these too and they work really well.

dave

yakstone
06-27-2013, 07:40 PM
I have had no issues with KCNC Ti skewers.

Formulasaab
06-28-2013, 06:43 AM
Depends...chromed horizontals...get the strongest clampiest thing you can manage, screw weight savings or aerodynamics. I had a lightweight Ti skewer slip and snap in half (well maybe not HALF, just the end of it) on chromed horizontals, never again.

Yeah, chromed (of course!), so I hear ya loud and clear.

Personally, I wouldnt use anything but campy/shimano internal cam or salsa flip offs (they "holds good" also) on horizontal dropouts.

I've seen this Salsa recommendation before and don't understand. I see nothing in their design that sets them apart from the bajillion of others on the market in terms of clamping force?

ColonelJLloyd
06-28-2013, 09:50 AM
I've seen this Salsa recommendation before and don't understand. I see nothing in their design that sets them apart from the bajillion of others on the market in terms of clamping force?

I've never used them, but I think the knurled insets are steel. That's why Shimano skewers get a better purchase into the dropout.

cuda2k
06-29-2013, 06:52 AM
I got a set of silver skewers from Velo-Orange, not sure who makes them or if there are any others out there selling the same. Classic look and design, but probably not the lightest. But they hold very tight and been meaning to pick up another pair or two of them for the horizontal D.O. bikes in the fleet.

gomango
06-29-2013, 06:56 AM
I got a set of silver skewers from Velo-Orange, not sure who makes them or if there are any others out there selling the same. Classic look and design, but probably not the lightest. But they hold very tight and been meaning to pick up another pair or two of them for the horizontal D.O. bikes in the fleet.

Use them as well on two bicycles.

Work great, look fine and are inexpensive.

Can't tell what brand they are when they are covered in mud. :)