PDA

View Full Version : Schwalbe mtn tires

LegendRider
06-26-2013, 01:07 PM
I have the opportunity to get a good deal on either the Racing Ralph SnakeSkin or Rocket Ron Snakeskin for my hardtail 29er. What's the best combination for front and rear for dry, southeastern conditions?

rice rocket
06-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Rocket Rons have taller knobs, but softer tread and will wear faster.
Racing Ralphs has shorter knobs and will roll faster.

If it's truly dry all the time, I'd go Racing Ralph F&R. Rocket Ron up front if it's muddy.

Jack Brunk
06-26-2013, 01:50 PM
I run a ron on the rear and a ralph up front. We have a lot of granite composed trails and the ron hooks up a tad better running 20 PSI on the Enve UST rims. Both tires are so good that I don't think you can go wrong with any combo once you find the ideal tire pressure.

LegendRider
06-26-2013, 02:10 PM
I run a ron on the rear and a ralph up front. We have a lot of granite composed trails and the ron hooks up a tad better running 20 PSI on the Enve UST rims. Both tires are so good that I don't think you can go wrong with any combo once you find the ideal tire pressure.

That's interesting. I thought most folks ran the more aggressive tire up front.

slinkywizard
06-26-2013, 02:11 PM
I run a nobby nick up front and racing ralph in the rear on one of my bikes. Conditions are different here though...which is why I prefer a tire with more profile up front. However, I have always been very happy with the RR's grip, durability, puncture resistance etc. Low pressure is key, 25 psi in the rear, 22 up front. Don't run them tubeless, but use michelin latex tubes.

LegendRider
06-26-2013, 02:20 PM
I run a nobby nick up front and racing ralph in the rear on one of my bikes. Conditions are different here though...which is why I prefer a tire with more profile up front. However, I have always been very happy with the RR's grip, durability, puncture resistance etc. Low pressure is key, 25 psi in the rear, 22 up front. Don't run them tubeless, but use michelin latex tubes.

What is the advantage of latex tubes over tubeless?

Jack Brunk
06-26-2013, 02:21 PM
That's interesting. I thought most folks ran the more aggressive tire up front.

i don't consider the ron to be more aggressive. It seems to have a little tackier feel to the rubber than the ralph. It's also lighter that the ralph. In the future I'll probably run rons only. If your looking for a more aggressive tire, you may want to check out the nobby nic or the hans dampf.

slinkywizard
06-26-2013, 02:54 PM
What is the advantage of latex tubes over tubeless?

there's no advantage as far as I know...:) those tires are on my "old" mtb, a seven softtail that I keep at my parent's place in the Netherlands...I purchased a tubeless conversion kit long ago, but guess I've just been to lazy to install it or maybe I've just happy with the latex tubes. Compared to butyl, latex is definitely more supple however. I've never ridden tubeless to be honest, my other mtb has dugast tubulars, they really ride like a dream...:cool: I do carry a can of espresso sealant just in case...

XJBaylor
06-26-2013, 03:19 PM
As others have said, RaRa rear and RoRo front is a great combo. If you don't race either in the rear with a Nobby Nic up front is awesome.

Mikej
06-26-2013, 06:48 PM

Hold it now.. Is Michelin making 9er tubes now? I've tried the green 26 in my 29 but the cross sectional circumference at the valve was too small and was leaving an air gap between the tire and tube that I didn't feel would hold up.

markie
06-26-2013, 07:14 PM
I like racing ralphs. I ride rigid so use the 2.4 up front and the 2.2 for the rear.

d14vd_h
06-26-2013, 07:20 PM
I used to ride Nobby up front and Ralph at rear, great combo. Loads of confidence in the mucky stuff.

swPArider
06-26-2013, 08:14 PM
I like racing ralphs. I ride rigid so use the 2.4 up front and the 2.2 for the rear.

I also use the 2.4 Racing Ralph on the front of my rigid singlespeed. On my geared 29er I use the 2.25 Racing Ralph for the front and rear. They are good tires unless you're riding in really sloppy conditions or riding through thick leaves. I've lowsided a few times this past fall because the sideknobs couldn't bite through all the freshly fallen leaves that were on the trail.

sevencyclist
06-26-2013, 08:15 PM
I would like to have the beefier Nobby Nic up front. Racing Ralph rolls better than Rocket Ron as many have said.

alexstar
06-26-2013, 10:27 PM
2.25 Racing Ralphs here, front and rear. I like them for the dry soil around here (haven't had them in the mud yet) and they do hook up well around 20 psi. My previous setup was a Kenda SB8 2.2 rear and Nevegal 2.35 front, a good setup but I felt like experimenting. So far I'm happy with the RR.

slinkywizard
06-26-2013, 11:41 PM
Hold it now.. Is Michelin making 9er tubes now? I've tried the green 26 in my 29 but the cross sectional circumference at the valve was too small and was leaving an air gap between the tire and tube that I didn't feel would hold up.

not as far as I know...I am one of those people that run the obsolete 26" wheel size...
people do seem to use them them in 29ers though...: http://forums.mtbr.com/29er-components/29er-latex-tube-706760.html
Regarding the latex tubes, I didn't mean "don't use" as an imperative, I was lazy and did not put an "I" in front by the way...

josephr
06-27-2013, 09:33 AM
I'm in Birmingham, AL and ride the Racing Ralphs. My current 26er steed came with Racing Ralphs in the 2.5" size and they were good...but then converted my wheels to tubeless and couldn't keep the 2.5" to take a seal. I moved to the 2.2 tubeless version of the Racing Ralph and no problems with burps or blowouts whatsoever.

However, I find the sidewalls on the stiff side and I weigh 195lbs and if I'm running 40lbs of pressure or more, its like skating on gravel...I usually run about 35lbs, still they're not inspiring confidence on the switchbacks. Supposedly for 2013, they've made the sidewalls more supple and added another tread row.

If your opportunity is for the new ones, I'd definitely give them a try. If they're last year's model, I'd pass.
Joe

rice rocket
06-27-2013, 09:51 AM
I'm in Birmingham, AL and ride the Racing Ralphs. My current 26er steed came with Racing Ralphs in the 2.5" size and they were good...but then converted my wheels to tubeless and couldn't keep the 2.5" to take a seal. I moved to the 2.2 tubeless version of the Racing Ralph and no problems with burps or blowouts whatsoever.

However, I find the sidewalls on the stiff side and I weigh 195lbs and if I'm running 40lbs of pressure or more, its like skating on gravel...I usually run about 35lbs
Joe

I'm confused. You say you'd like them more supple, but don't find 35 psi confidence inspiring. Usually "confidence" is gained with stiffer sidewalls?

Either way, 35 psi is a lot, I'm a lighter than you at ~155, but I run...17 psi up front, 20 psi rear (2.35 up front, 2.25 rear).

josephr
06-27-2013, 10:10 AM
I'm confused. You say you'd like them more supple, but don't find 35 psi confidence inspiring. Usually "confidence" is gained with stiffer sidewalls?

Either way, 35 psi is a lot, I'm a lighter than you at ~155, but I run...17 psi up front, 20 psi rear (2.35 up front, 2.25 rear).

confidence in terms of grip and maintaining front-wheel traction enterering a tight switchback a relatively dry, clay/gravel mix. I've taken it down to 28psi without much noticeable change in grip, but I did get a perceptive change in terms of slogging on the flat sections, so 35psi seems to be the happy trade-off.

you run these tires????