PDA

View Full Version : giro factors - wow!

AngryScientist
06-26-2013, 11:26 AM
i've been riding sidi's for years. out of frustration with some foot discomfort, last week competitive cyclist was running a pretty great sale on the well regarded giro factor shoes, but only in the obnoxiously loud red color. no bother, i love obnoxious colors. so - i ordered a pair.

for my foot anyway, they are in every single way superior to my sidis. man, i'm loving these shoes. no scale, but they feel a metric ton lighter than the sidis too.

life is good!

the workhorses with new insoles:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-txqsZHqoxpA/UcREUZv3SVI/AAAAAAAABTA/RqRYyFY1IlU/s400/IMG_0936.JPG

the new shoes!

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jt_kaDeXheY/UcsU0QudVgI/AAAAAAAABUo/lmk37oyc9WA/s400/IMG_0941.JPG

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-PvAMd-g_6gA/UcsU0dFS5ZI/AAAAAAAABUk/Ea1DO_hSKPk/s640/IMG_0942.JPG

Nooch
06-26-2013, 11:30 AM
love mine.

the red's not that obnoxious.

christian
06-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Jerzy Red Shoe Brigade checkin' in. GTL, baby.

yoshirider
06-26-2013, 12:05 PM
Giro definitely makes good stuff :). The best part is the Giro Supernatural Footbed X-Static kit which allows you to modify the amount of arch support you need for the insole.

kramnnim
06-26-2013, 12:10 PM
Did you get the same size as your Sidis? (curious how the sizing compares across brands)

AngryScientist
06-26-2013, 12:16 PM
Did you get the same size as your Sidis? (curious how the sizing compares across brands)

1/2 size larger as suggested on multiple reviews. perfect fit.

AngryScientist
06-26-2013, 12:16 PM

:hello:

gngroup
06-26-2013, 12:18 PM
I love my Factors!!! The custom insole kit is nice as well; saves the need for having to buy an additional $35 set of superfeet. I picked up a second pair on sale recently (Rapha Condor limited edition).

Nooch
06-26-2013, 12:30 PM

nah, mine are white..

jmoore
06-26-2013, 01:25 PM
How do these fit in the toebox and forefoot width? I wear Northwaves and they are great. Diadora's are too narrow. I need something with a bit more volume up front.

I could really use some more shoes and these are intriguing as I've got a few riding buddies who love them.

Nooch
06-26-2013, 01:28 PM
How do these fit in the toebox and forefoot width? I wear Northwaves and they are great. Diadora's are too narrow. I need something with a bit more volume up front.

I could really use some more shoes and these are intriguing as I've got a few riding buddies who love them.

I'd say they're tight. Tighter than my specialized, at least. not oppressive, but they do offer the High Volume models now too..

Lewis Moon
06-26-2013, 01:34 PM
Do they come speedplay specific? I'd like to not have to use the sole plate on my next set of shoes.

gngroup
06-26-2013, 01:39 PM
I agree that these are on the narrow side - which is perfect for my long skinny foot!

jmoore
06-26-2013, 01:40 PM
I agree that these are on the narrow side - which is perfect for my long skinny foot!

bahhh! no

mcteague
06-26-2013, 01:52 PM
Be sure to try before you buy. The bend in the Factor's carbon sole put a lot of pressure on my foot. Felt like there was a ridge laterally just in front of my heel. Sidis feel similar. Had to sell my pair and went back to Shimano, R315s, as their shape agrees with my foot. Too bad, the Giros were really nice shoes!

Tim

ultraman6970
06-26-2013, 02:54 PM
I have tried Giro shoes and are nice and tiny wider than sidis, maybe thats why the OP loves them more than sidis. The big issue with sidi is that to get the really good stuff you have to buy the 400 and up shoes.

Sadly for me the only shoes that work for me are the spech ones.

oldpotatoe
06-26-2013, 04:36 PM

Eddy wore black shoes.................

rphetteplace
06-26-2013, 05:21 PM
These are also available in wide for those of us with club feet!

technicolor
06-26-2013, 06:04 PM
Eddy wore black shoes.................
Andy Hampsten wore white shoes...

Anarchist
06-26-2013, 06:07 PM

Your answer is Lake.

d14vd_h
06-26-2013, 07:22 PM
Anyone ridden the empires?
Loathed to move away from specialized Boa system but hear amazing things about the giros from multiple people

jds108
06-26-2013, 08:24 PM
Your answer is Lake.

I woulda thought the answer is Northwave...

I have Lake in their wide model, they fit me just fine. I have a pair of Northwaves in their standard width, they're OK but just a touch narrow for my 9E feet.

Both seem to have a narrower heel than a Sidi mega.

majorpat
06-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Long time Sidi believer. Got a pair of the obnoxious blue and white Giro Trans this spring...and they are the second coming. Nice kicks.

SolidSnake03
06-27-2013, 06:21 AM
Rode Giro for a while, the durability leaves much to be desired coming from Bont and Sidi. The cover tears easily and the bottoms get scratched/chipped like nothing else. Pads were silly fast as well, switch to Gaerne and pretty happy, amazing build quality!

The factors fit great and were light but just didnt cut it durability wise for me

fio
06-27-2013, 07:41 AM
Same experience as poster above here. My Factors were blown out after about 8 months of riding. Durability was a joke with those shoes. Heel cup was rather large and the adjustability of the ratcheting strap (or lack thereof) left a lot to be desired.

Subsequently got the Sidi Wires and they still fit like day one. Doubt I'll be leaving Sidi again.