PDA

View Full Version : Lance facing defamation trial. (Never dull moment...)

andy mac
12-14-2005, 04:52 PM
(as reported in australia today)

Lance Armstrong facing defamation trial

December 15, 2005 - 7:59AM

Seven-times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong will go on trial for defamation next year after losing a preliminary hearing against Italian rider Filippo Simeoni.

Italian judge Nicola Insiti decided American Armstrong should go on trial in Simeoni's home town of Latina near Rome on March 7 after he called Simeoni a liar in an interview with the French newspaper Le Monde in 2003.

Simeoni had given evidence in 2002 during the trial of Armstrong's former coach Michele Ferrari and said Ferrari had given him doping substances.

Ferrari was found guilty of sporting fraud and illegally acting as a pharmacist on Oct. 1, 2004, but has appealed against the verdict.

"The judge decided that even though Armstrong's comments were published in France the act of defamation against Simeoni occurred when Simeoni read the newspaper via the internet," the Italian rider's lawyer Giuseppe Napoleone told Reuters.

Armstrong's lawyer Enrico Nan said he would fight the location of the trial.

The 34-year-old Armstrong will not have to attend the trial but could, under Italian law, face a jail sentence of between one and six years if found guilty.

Simeoni and Armstrong have clashed several times in recent years.

Armstrong was placed under formal investigation in August 2004 for 'private violence' against Simeoni after he chased the Italian down during stage 18 of the 2004 Tour de France.

But that investigation was closed earlier this year.

Ti Designs
12-14-2005, 05:38 PM

Armstrong was placed under formal investigation in August 2004 for 'private violence' against Simeoni after he chased the Italian down during stage 18 of the 2004 Tour de France.

If chasing another rider down in a bike race is private violence, the sport of boxing is in serious trouble.

Bill Bove
12-14-2005, 05:50 PM
Lucky thing that he never had to play in the paint with Tree Rollins.

inGobwetrust
12-14-2005, 06:26 PM
:crap: It's official, we love a sissy sport! :confused:

Sandy
12-14-2005, 06:27 PM
Two years ago, I told Kevan that I was the fastest cyclist in the world.
He called me a liar.

Last year, I again told Kevan that I was the fastest cyclist in the world.
He called me a liar again.

I plan to make the claim once more in a few weeks.
Hopefully, Kevan calls me a liar once again.

I think that if I play this right, Kevan will face three consecutive jail terms of 1 to 6 years. That makes 3 to 18 years altogether.

There is justice in the world! There is a heaven. It is here on earth. :rolleyes: :)

Judge Sandy

Sandy
12-14-2005, 06:30 PM

Lance Armstrong facing defamation trial

December 15, 2005 - 7:59AM

Seven-times Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong will go on trial for defamation next year after losing a preliminary hearing against Italian rider Filippo Simeoni.

Italian judge Nicola Insiti decided American Armstrong should go on trial in Simeoni's home town of Latina near Rome on March 7 after he called Simeoni a liar in an interview with the French newspaper Le Monde in 2003.

Simeoni had given evidence in 2002 during the trial of Armstrong's former coach Michele Ferrari and said Ferrari had given him doping substances.

Ferrari was found guilty of sporting fraud and illegally acting as a pharmacist on Oct. 1, 2004, but has appealed against the verdict.

"The judge decided that even though Armstrong's comments were published in France the act of defamation against Simeoni occurred when Simeoni read the newspaper via the internet," the Italian rider's lawyer Giuseppe Napoleone told Reuters.

Armstrong's lawyer Enrico Nan said he would fight the location of the trial.

The 34-year-old Armstrong will not have to attend the trial but could, under Italian law, face a jail sentence of between one and six years if found guilty.

Simeoni and Armstrong have clashed several times in recent years.

But that investigation was closed earlier this year.

The above story sounds like an April Fools story. Is it for real??

Fooling no one,

Sandy

Fixed
12-14-2005, 07:22 PM
bro what do they say about track events? cheers :beer:

Big Dan
12-14-2005, 07:24 PM
How quickly people forget........ :crap:

OttrottAZ
12-15-2005, 12:40 AM
If Lance is convicted he should be sentenced to ride the Giro in '06 with a monitoring device on his ankle and spending the nights in a local jail in each town. This way he could kick the Italian's booty each day and win the Giro finally! He could kiss those luscious girls each day on the podium in the Maglia Rosa and have conjugal visits each night from Juanita Cuervo!
He could chase down each and every Simeoni move throughout the Giro, too. Lance should just plea bargain for this scenario.