PDA

View Full Version : replacement quill stem expander bolts

martinez
06-24-2013, 07:38 PM
so i have one of these older pearl's

http://oi49.tinypic.com/30sa7vo.jpg

and the bottom part only threads about one complete turn and then stops completely. the threading seems to be fine, and the diameter of the longer bolt seems to be the correct size but still no cooperation.
so i come to the paceline wisemen for some advice.
tried looking around, but i've seen nothing but replacements for the wedge version.

(thanks in advance)
:beer:

thirdgenbird
06-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Email manufacturer?

I emailed deda about a seized wedge.* I was very upfront that I bought it second hand online and thry still sent me all new hardware free of charge.

*i recieved the stem broken despite being described as "like new" condition. Fortunately, I scored it dirt cheap and deda helped out.

EricEstlund
06-24-2013, 07:55 PM
Try chasing the threads of the wedge with a tap and regreasing. Confirm the threads of the bolt are in good shape (and clean) while it's out.

pinkshogun
06-24-2013, 08:26 PM
there are different diameters/threadings of the traditional wedge shape so stands to reason there could differances in the rounded style wedge like what you have.

Ralph
06-24-2013, 08:51 PM
I had some of those back in the days. The Ti bolt and wedge were different sizes than the aluminum ones. As I recall....The Ti bolt was smaller diameter.

oldpotatoe
06-25-2013, 07:29 AM
so i have one of these older pearl's

http://oi49.tinypic.com/30sa7vo.jpg

and the bottom part only threads about one complete turn and then stops completely. the threading seems to be fine, and the diameter of the longer bolt seems to be the correct size but still no cooperation.
so i come to the paceline wisemen for some advice.
tried looking around, but i've seen nothing but replacements for the wedge version.

(thanks in advance)
:beer:

Go to a decent LBS, have them dig thru their box of old stems and harvest a bolt and wedge..