PDA

View Full Version : Cane Creek Long-Reach Road Brakes

josephr
06-24-2013, 01:49 PM
Looking for reccomendations on Cane Creek brakes and if anyone has experience with them. I'm used to 105/Ultegra brakes, but this bike needs came with some squishy/spongy Tektro brakes that I find squishy/spongy.

Would go back with 105/Ultegra, but need a long reach option. Thought I'd check if anyone has experience before TOFT.
Joe

christian
06-24-2013, 01:55 PM
99% chance they're made by Tektro, no?

ColonelJLloyd
06-24-2013, 02:56 PM
I've set up plenty of Tektro R559 long reach calipers with both stock pads and Kool Stops. They're not spongy when properly setup.

thirdgenbird
06-24-2013, 05:12 PM
I agree with both posters above.

My wife has tektro long reach brakes on her commuter. I can't say they are as solid as Campagnolo short reach brakes, but once set up properly, they were much better than I ever expected. Out of the box, the brake pads were not hitting the rims square which caused the pads to deform under moderate to heavy pressure.

christian
06-24-2013, 05:36 PM
I've only run Shimano BR-600 47-57mm calipers but I find them equal to most 39-49mm calipers. Just don't see it as an issue when set up well with good pads.

Pete Mckeon
06-24-2013, 05:48 PM
I did not like Tektro as much as Ultegra:bike:. They were flexible.

I do not know about Cane Creek but contact Peter Gilbert there and tell him I dropped his name.

Waldo
06-24-2013, 06:14 PM
I had to use TRPs for my bike (longer reach than Shimano offers) and they work well enough.

jasonlee
06-24-2013, 06:36 PM
I don't like a lot of the Velo Orange stuff, but they seem to have done a good job* on their long reach brakeset according to several reviews including Jan Heine.

VO Grand Cru Long Reach Brakes. (http://store.velo-orange.com/index.php/components/brakes/calipers/grand-cru-long-reach-brakes.html)

*done a good job rebranding a well made product.

josephr
06-24-2013, 10:19 PM
I've set up plenty of Tektro R559 long reach calipers with both stock pads and Kool Stops. They're not spongy when properly setup.

These are the R539, the entry level road brake...I've double/triple checked the set-up and played around with them...changing the pads could help with the spongy. However, this past weekend I was doing a good 20mph and of course, the dog that was moving himself back off the road decided to come back onto the street and stood right in front of me...not barking, just standing there.

full hard stop with both brakes just didn't have the firm confidence and control of what I'm used to. maybe I'm lumping in the pads with the whole brake???

josephr
06-24-2013, 10:38 PM
99% chance they're made by Tektro, no?

the Cane Creeks look awfully a lot like some of the TRPs. I don't think its the Tektro brand, just the model R539s which are the el-cheapo Tektro brakes.

josephr
06-25-2013, 03:57 PM
I did not like Tektro as much as Ultegra:bike:. They were flexible.

I do not know about Cane Creek but contact Peter Gilbert there and tell him I dropped his name.

update:

Talked to Planet X, their brakes are not made by Tektro, but they are sourced from Taiwan and come with Swissstop pads. Unfortunately, neither the forged or the CNC machined brakes are available in a long reach. Those CNC machined ones look awesome...may have to get a new bike just to put those brakes on!

Talked to Peter Gilbert at Cane Creek --- Christian is correct, they are re-branded Tektro brakes. Peter said that the additional flex is inherit to long-reach brakes and highly suggested trying out new pads before throwing these brakes out wholesale though. Got some Kool-Stops on order.

Thanks!
Joe

aoe
06-25-2013, 04:05 PM
Here you go: http://www.wiggle.co.uk/miche-performance-57mm-drop-brake-caliper-set/

Miche long reach for a good price. Put them on a friend's build with no complaints from him.

ColonelJLloyd
06-25-2013, 11:03 PM
These are the R539, the entry level road brake...I've double/triple checked the set-up and played around with them...changing the pads could help with the spongy. However, this past weekend I was doing a good 20mph and of course, the dog that was moving himself back off the road decided to come back onto the street and stood right in front of me...not barking, just standing there.

full hard stop with both brakes just didn't have the firm confidence and control of what I'm used to. maybe I'm lumping in the pads with the whole brake???

Hmm. I dunno. I've setup a few bikes with the R539 (47-59mm) and they were great. I used a single front with my fixed gear with great results as well. I've set them up with flat bar levers, aero levers and interrupters. Set them up with a zip tie's thickness worth of toe in and relatively close to the rim. Make sure quick release is in the closed position.

What levers are you using?

Mr Cabletwitch
06-26-2013, 07:15 AM
I've had the cane creek long reach and the tektro 559s and the tektros were much better. My buddy had the long reach ultegras and they were nice as well