PDA

View Full Version : Question on silicone grippers

Nooch
06-24-2013, 12:55 PM
Here's one from left field.. how the heck are silicone grippers made? I've looked at some of my bibs, and it's just silicone on elastic, sewn onto the end of the leg.

So I went to a fabrics store and found similar elastic, to which I said 'alright, cool.' But I'm thinking, perhaps, there's an easier way. Is the silicone on the elastic just a bead of silicone like I could find in a tube at Home Depot (assuming searching for whatever non-toxic silicone I can find..) Would a silicone like this stick to lycra?

thinking aloud here.. trying to get revive some bibs, have some that are completely shot to practice on and see what happens..

christian
06-24-2013, 01:03 PM
trying to get revive some bibs, have some that are completely shot to practice on and see what happens..From the above, I'm not sure you need the internet for anything other than encouragement. So... "Go for it Drew! You're going to do awesome!"

Nooch
06-24-2013, 01:07 PM
I should have mentioned, the completely shot ones are experimental (crashed in em).. I'm ultimately trying to render a solution for my capo team bibs that use the Lycra only grippers (like two inches of Lycra doubled over and a little tighter) that just don't stay put on me..

Nooch
06-24-2013, 01:12 PM
From the above, I'm not sure you need the internet for anything other than encouragement. So... "Go for it Drew! You're going to do awesome!"

Thanks Christian!

But really, I figure someone else must have tried it... maybe save myself a little bit of running around trying to figure out a solution.. google hasn't given me isht.

kramnnim
06-24-2013, 01:26 PM
I use silicone caulk at work. It does stick quite well to lycra, I used it on some cheap shorts that didn't come with any grippers.

I can't think of a good way to apply the silicone, though...without making a nasty mess. Maybe put a thigh sized bottle/jug inside the leg of the shorts (inside out) to stretch them a bit, and apply small "dots"? I applied a thin bead and smeared/flattened it, doesn't look good but it's not like you can see it.

I wouldn't be concerned about the toxicity of normal 100% silicone caulk...once cured, anyway.

Nooch
06-24-2013, 01:35 PM
I use silicone caulk at work. It does stick quite well to lycra, I used it on some cheap shorts that didn't come with any grippers.

I can't think of a good way to apply the silicone, though...without making a nasty mess. Maybe put a thigh sized bottle/jug inside the leg of the shorts (inside out) to stretch them a bit, and apply small "dots"? I applied a thin bead and smeared/flattened it, doesn't look good but it's not like you can see it.

I wouldn't be concerned about the toxicity of normal 100% silicone caulk...once cured, anyway.

sounds like a good excuse to pick up a bucket of UTZ pretzel rods and some DAP (http://www.amazon.com/08641-Corning-Silicone-Sealant-10-1-Ounce/dp/B000BD0QAK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1372096652&sr=8-2&keywords=clear+silicone).

jmoore
06-24-2013, 01:41 PM
I hate the silicon grippers against my skin. I always roll the legs of my shorts up.

christian
06-24-2013, 01:54 PM
I hate the silicon grippers against my skin. I always roll the legs of my shorts up.Cut them out. Send to Nooch. Problem solved.

jmoore
06-24-2013, 03:00 PM
Cut them out. Send to Nooch. Problem solved.

http://www.angeliqueashby.com/wp-content/uploads/Recycling_symbol.svg_.png

neiltron
06-24-2013, 06:45 PM
For goodness sakes, don't get silicone caulking on your shorts.

E-mail neil@cedarcycling.com and I will mail you real gripper elastic, made in Italy. By the Italians. Same stuff used on the Cedar Cycling jerseys - very soft, very smooth, just the right amount of grip.