PDA

View Full Version : Q on campy UT bearing replacement

leooooo
06-24-2013, 11:54 AM
How does one know when to replace the bearings on UT cranks?

Overhauling my bike, new cables, housing, chain, cassette, so was wondering should I bother. Cranks has about 8k miles.

Black Dog
06-24-2013, 11:57 AM
Rotate them by hand. If they feel rough, replace. The drive side will not last as long as the non-drive side.

thirdgenbird
06-24-2013, 05:08 PM
Black dog is right on. A good bearing will feel smooth and be silent. A bad bearing will feel corse in comparison.

My DS bearing shelled out and my NDS feels perfect. I used the park tool set and it worked very well for the money. Not as fancy as some of the other tools, but great for home use.

HillDancer
06-24-2013, 05:59 PM
I had a drive side bearing that felt gritty. I was prepared to replace it, but was loath to use the Chinese manufactured new bearing. I removed and cleaned the original bearing thoroughly, inspected the balls & race under magnification, didn't see pits, applied full synthetic grease, afterward it rotates vibration and noise free. I have also applied fresh grease without removing the bearing in its past.

I think service need depends on environmental exposure more than mileage.

oldpotatoe
06-25-2013, 07:21 AM
How does one know when to replace the bearings on UT cranks?

Overhauling my bike, new cables, housing, chain, cassette, so was wondering should I bother. Cranks has about 8k miles.

When they feel like they are full of sand..don't feel smooth, etc.