PDA

View Full Version : Why is it the little stuff that burns me

toytech
06-23-2013, 08:00 PM
Just venting. Trying to build up my new to me Serotta and I keep hitting the little snags like the 10 speed Campy cassette I had been hoarding turning out to be a 9 with an extra small cog stuck on the cluster :crap:.
now I go through boxes of calipers and not one has a nut long enough for the front brake :butt:. Dammit I want to ride it!
Anyone who has seen my garage would think it funny that I am missing anything bike related :D.
There. I feel better now, beer time.

DRietz
06-23-2013, 08:08 PM
Just venting.
Anyone who has seen my garage would think it funny that I am missing anything bike related :D.

I can corroborate this.

Louis
06-23-2013, 08:18 PM
It's the price we pay for being DIY-types.

If you had walked into your LBS or big-box store and bought off the shelf this wouldn't be a problem, but that's not good enough for us - we're special, so we have to do it ourselves. ;)

Columbus SLX
06-23-2013, 08:39 PM
I go through boxes of calipers and not one has a nut long enough for the front brake :butt:

I have one of those long extender nuts if you want it. I think they were used to mount a rear brake in front through the fork. Free-fifty.

blessthismess
06-23-2013, 08:42 PM
Try and look at it as an oppourtunity to add to the ever growing garage collection :D

toytech
06-23-2013, 08:45 PM
I have one of those long extender nuts if you want it. I think they were used to mount a rear brake in front through the fork. Free-fifty.
Extremely generous of you, but I will pick one up at the lbs tomorrow. Really appreciate the offer though! Besides if you send me one you will almost be for sure to need one within days :p

Bikerist
06-23-2013, 09:59 PM
Extremely generous of you, but I will pick one up at the lbs tomorrow.

Good Luck with that. Last time I needed a longer sleeve bolt not a single LBS had the right one.

Ordered it from Alfred E

ultraman6970
06-23-2013, 10:36 PM
WHat i did years ago was get a small bulk of like 35 mm brake bolts from ebay, Need shorter ones then I use the dremel....

But yes i been in the OP's shoes many times... :D

parris
06-23-2013, 10:52 PM
My snag is always in the tool dept. I must have a couple dozen 4 and 5 mm allen wrenches as well as several 10 mm combination wrenches and can I ever find them when I need despite the fact that I put them back in the tool tray? NOPE.

Just think how nice it'll feel once you get the assembly sorted but for now enjoy the beverage of your choice.

cmg
06-23-2013, 11:13 PM
ah... the joys of cobbling a bike together. enjoy the struggle. post a photo of the completed build.