PDA

View Full Version : Cold-weather Eyewear

jeffreylw
12-14-2005, 08:09 AM
I’m looking for cold-weather cycling eyewear. I have found that my new pair of sunglasses (purchased last summer) allows too much air flow making the experience pretty uncomfortable when the air temperature drops down below forty degrees (especially with a head-wind). Based on your experience would any of you cold-weather riders have any recommendations for cold-weather eyewear?

Tom
12-14-2005, 08:17 AM
I hate it when they fog up. If it's that cold I'll wear my ski goggles. They don't fog quite as much.

jeffreylw
12-14-2005, 08:29 AM
Thanks, Tom. I've thought about ski goggles as one option. In your experience have you found that you lose peripheral vision with ski goggles vs. glasses?

Tom
12-14-2005, 08:42 AM
Actually my point was that in my experience if it's cold enough that I need eye protection it's too cold to ride. I've ridden at 25 degrees with no glasses and it didn't bother me after my eyes quit watering in the first quarter mile or so. I do wear contact lenses so maybe I get some unforeseen protection that way.

d_douglas
12-14-2005, 10:06 PM
I won't go on about what is really just a personal preference, but Smith glasses fit my face perfectly. I bought a pair of District Sliders, found clear leanses and use them in the winter in wet, dark, sometimes miserable weather. They cut out alot of wind, but not to the level of a pair of gog :fight: gles.

I agree with the above - it would cut peripheral vision to a point that I would find worrisome (if I was commuting, etc.)

There you go - opinion number four.

93legendti
12-14-2005, 10:37 PM
I won't go on about what is really just a personal preference, but Smith glasses fit my face perfectly. I bought a pair of District Sliders, found clear leanses and use them in the winter in wet, dark, sometimes miserable weather. They cut out alot of wind, but not to the level of a pair of gog :fight: gles.

I agree with the above - it would cut peripheral vision to a point that I would find worrisome (if I was commuting, etc.)

There you go - opinion number four.

Yup, I use those Smiths. The Smiths have good peripheral vision and block a lot of wind.

Bud
12-15-2005, 08:06 AM
I wear a pair of Performance shades with the built in prescription lens holder. They have quite a bit of wrap around and block a lot of the air flow. I even wear them skiing.

As far as fogging goes, get some "Cat Crap." It's a good anti-fog lens cleaner.

Tom
12-15-2005, 08:15 AM
Use it before you need it. It doesn't do too well after the glasses are soaked, at least in my experience. Last summer I rode up to Vermont and over the top of the hills it was foggy and raining, my glasses were impenetrable to any light at all so I got some at Bromley and used it. Pretty soon I'm going 45 miles an hour down Route 11 in the rain, can't see ****, thinking "Boy this is stupid but it is really, really fun!"

jeffreylw
12-16-2005, 08:03 AM
Thank you all for your responses; I appreciate the information.

roman meal
12-16-2005, 08:15 AM
I have a pair of those old oakley eyeshades Hampsten-Coors Light-Phinney monstrosities that do pretty well in the cold. Some of the lenses have a row of holes in the top that help with ventilation. Ebay? I like the clear lens. The logo has worn off, making them even better.

http://grahamwatson.com/dublin/misc/images/image10.jpg

CalfeeFly
12-16-2005, 10:29 AM
I'd guess whatever you need is very personal based on your own reaction to cold. I see folks for a balaclava for example and I only have on a skull cap. They have full booties and I have toe warmers. I'd guess eyes are the same way.

I use M Frames with either a red or yellow lens. If you found an older pair of Bolle some of those were huge but out of production.

I find they don't fog up unless I stop suddenly. If I do the vents in the lens are not enough. I just take them off for a few minutes and they clear.

I recently saw a guy wearing ski googles. I'm sure they work extremely well. Personally my ego structure isn't strong enough to look like that riding a bike through a city. :D

The Spider
12-17-2005, 04:01 AM
I find that those vent holes in the top of m-frame lens don't do alot.

for winter...would the Oakley heater lens work??? It has alot of surface area and sits further out (which stops fogging).

IF (and it's a huge if!) it ever got cold enough, I'd love a pair of Oakley wisdom ski goggles in white camo!

Spider