PDA

View Full Version : colorado vs csi

alancw3
12-14-2005, 04:26 AM
am thinking of adding a serotta to my stable of bikes. could you knowledgable serotta owners tell me the difference between a 1995 colorado and a csi? i have read several posts here where the csi was considered the pinnacle of serotta's lugged frame bikes but when i look at the colorado they seem very similiar. am i missing something here? thanks.

Spinner
12-14-2005, 07:53 AM
the colorado does not have lugs, however i believe it has the same tube set.

alancw3
12-14-2005, 09:35 AM
well now i am really confused. the 1995 colorado i am looking at certainly does have lugs. again, what is the difference between a colorado 1995 and a csi?

JohnS
12-14-2005, 09:45 AM
I believe that Spinner was referring to the new Colorado III's.

Keith A
12-14-2005, 09:56 AM
Are sure this is a '95? According to the '95 Serotta catalog and dealer price sheet, the Colorado wasn't available this year. So I would suspect that this is from '94 or earlier.

Edit: Have you tried searching this forum for your question? Previous to the CSi, there was the CRL, CR and LT that I know of (could be more) -- but I don't know the differences. There are some discussions of this topic that have occured in the past and there are some details in there. You might even consider contacting Dave Kirk as he worked at Serotta during the years that this frame was produced.

Keith A
12-14-2005, 10:13 AM
Here are three good links to start with: Difference between CR and CRL (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=13092), Colorado LT ? (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=11936) and CSi History (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=6498). One thing I noticed is that the Colorado is usually followed by some type of designation and didn't see anything mentioned of just a "Colorado" although I know these exist.

Serotta PETE
12-14-2005, 10:18 AM
Colorado did not have ALL tubes with lug for the tubing was oval at down tube/seat tuble connection.

Tubing in some of Colorado was True Temper (I think for one or two years. Then it went to Columbus.)

Weight will be somewhat heavier on older bikes because of FORK and tubing - but still a nice ride.

Color and budget will probably be the determining factor for they all ride like a nice steel bike. Colorado that I had was from 89. (with true temper).

The CR I have is from early 90s. (92) The CSI I have is from 2005. The CR is heavier but rides nice. The CSI has an F2 fork and is lighter.

mavic1010
12-14-2005, 10:19 AM
I've owned a colorado II and a few CSI's. The biggest difference, in my opinion, of the two bikes was the weight. The Colorado II was truly a tank. It rode extremely well, I loved it. I love my CSI, but it definitely is lighter.

alancw3
12-14-2005, 11:24 AM
thanks for all the input. it truly seems like there was a lot of confusion in the mid 90's with the colorado and csi nameplates. serotta probably was trying to work off of a proven name. who could blame them with the way the bike business climate was and is. i will probably try to buy the 1995. this will be a new venture for me as i am from the old school of schwinn paramounts, raleigh professionals and my favorite a vintage old bab jackson. you want to talk about lug work!!!

Serotta PETE
12-14-2005, 12:31 PM
thanks for all the input. it truly seems like there was a lot of confusion in the mid 90's with the colorado and csi nameplates. serotta probably was trying to work off of a proven name. who could blame them with the way the bike business climate was and is. i will probably try to buy the 1995. this will be a new venture for me as i am from the old school of schwinn paramounts, raleigh professionals and my favorite a vintage old bab jackson. you want to talk about lug work!!!

Based on the ones you mentioned..you will find the ride very similar to a large degree. Let us know what you think when you get it. PETE

Dekonick
12-14-2005, 01:37 PM
I love my Colorado CR!

Heavy compared to newer frames, but the ride with the steel fork is simply amazing. The fork is fun to watch in action - there is ALOT of movement as it absorbs bumps and rough pavement! Magic carpet ride is often used to describe the sensation - to me it is the only bike that sings as you ride it (Hors Cat also has some of the magic feel)

It is a shame the steel lugged bike is now a small market.

Thank Ben, Dave Kirk and Co for creating a wonderful machine for so many years.

MMcG
12-14-2005, 03:44 PM
Colorado did not have ALL tubes with lug for the tubing was oval at down tube/seat tuble connection.

Tubing in some of Colorado was True Temper (I think for one or two years. Then it went to Columbus.)

Earlier this week I bought a Colorado LT - gorgeous bike. The model I purchased is lugged and was built with Tange Prestige tubing. Just some additional information to throw into the mix.

Can anyone enlighten me as to what years Serotta used Tange Prestige tubing on the Colorado LTs?

Thanks!

Keith A
12-14-2005, 04:02 PM
MMcG -- Look through the links I posted earlier and you may find what you are looking for.

Big Dan
12-14-2005, 04:12 PM
I think the Tange Prestige tubing was used at least on 2 models:

Colorado LT
Colorado TG

Pretty sure the LT model ended in 1992, at least that's what I was told when I wrote to them at the time.

Btw the Henry James lugs on the LT are way cool... :p

JeffreyG
12-14-2005, 05:30 PM
I think the Tange Prestige tubing was used at least on 2 models:

Colorado LT
Colorado TG

Pretty sure the LT model ended in 1992, at least that's what I was told when I wrote to them at the time.

Btw the Henry James lugs on the LT are way cool... :p

My colorado Lt is a 1993. Great all around bike, unless you want to go uphill. Lt dose not stand for light.

Big Dan
12-14-2005, 05:41 PM
Jeff if your LT is 93 then someone in Serotta lied to me.

The letter says:
8/22/95
Daniel,
Thanks for the letter.I have included a catalog for 1992 the last year we made the LT. We still have the colors in stock so please call and order the paint $5.00 each.

Keep the rubber side down !

can't figure the signature...

starts with St last name S...

JeffreyG
12-14-2005, 05:47 PM
Jeff if your LT is 93 then someone in Serotta lied to me.

The letter says:

Daniel,
Thanks for the letter.I have included a catalog for 1992 the last year we made the LT. We still have the colors in stock so please call and order the paint $5.00 each.

Keep the rubber side down !

can't figure the signature...

starts with ST last name S...

Maybe someone lied to me..

Is anyone good at decoding serial numbers " TC55L3358 "

alancw3
12-15-2005, 04:07 AM
mystery solved! the bike is a crl. i think the original owner must have bought it in 1995 and thought it was the current model year. based on all the info you guys have so kindly supplied i am assuming it is really a 1994 that was not purchased until 1995. thanks again.

shaq-d
12-15-2005, 05:11 AM
mystery solved! the bike is a crl. i think the original owner must have bought it in 1995 and thought it was the current model year. based on all the info you guys have so kindly supplied i am assuming it is really a 1994 that was not purchased until 1995. thanks again.

i got myself a crl from a forum member here too. let me just say it's an awesome bike and u can't go wrong.

sd

Serotta PETE
12-15-2005, 08:38 AM
MMcG -- Look through the links I posted earlier and you may find what you are looking for.

All LTs were Tange and the cable did not run thru TT as on CR and CRLs....