PDA

View Full Version : AL vs C : seeking knowledge on next HT

azrider
06-22-2013, 09:03 PM
I've been riding an Aluminum HT for past two years and need to purchase a new bike because of sizing issue(s). I have the option of getting Carbon or Aluminum and want to hear opinions on longevity/durability.......I've done 8+ HR XC races and am fine with comfort factor so this is a question strictly centered around the topic of durability and which material would be better in long run

ofcounsel
06-22-2013, 09:22 PM
I have both. In terms of long term durability... Even though today's carbon frames are pretty tough, Aluminum hardtails can take a bit extra beating around the bottom bracket.

azrider
06-22-2013, 09:26 PM
I have both. In terms of long term durability... Even though today's carbon frames are pretty tough, Aluminum hardtails can take a bit extra beating around the bottom bracket.

Yeah this is my thought process also....

Plus i'm pretty hard on equipment, and i'm still learning to "pick my lines" better and have had occasion where a hard bang to the downtube isn't all that uncommon....that said i'm thinking it'd be in my best interest to stick with AL

oldpotatoe
06-23-2013, 07:40 AM
I've been riding an Aluminum HT for past two years and need to purchase a new bike because of sizing issue(s). I have the option of getting Carbon or Aluminum and want to hear opinions on longevity/durability.......I've done 8+ HR XC races and am fine with comfort factor so this is a question strictly centered around the topic of durability and which material would be better in long run

If ya crash and throw a carbon frame onto a rock, that tube 'may' crack-repair or throw away. If ya throw an aluminum frame on same rock, tube will probably dent but will still be rideable. PLUS AL probably much cheaper.

macaroon
06-24-2013, 06:13 AM
I'd say carbon is the more durable of the two. If you're worried about rock strikes around the bb area, put some protection on the frame.

Light alloyminium xc frames are still prone to dents, the wall thicknesses are thin. The fatigue life of a light weight frame isn't going to be very long. You'll get people telling you they're still riding alloy frames that are 20 years old. This is fine if you're just pootling about, but if you ride quite hard, I'd look to replace the frame every 2 to 3 years.

Carbon can also be repaired easily, aluminium alloy is a write off if you damage a tube badly.

azrider
06-24-2013, 08:58 AM
I'd say carbon is the more durable of the two. If you're worried about rock strikes around the bb area, put some protection on the frame.

yeah speaking of "protection" i was told by a buddy about "DOWNTUBE PROTECTOR" from Lizard Skins.......never knew somethign like that even existed. How well do these work ? anyone have any experience with these?

With the majorty of terrain i ride on being jagged rock, and with how sh*tty a decender I am I thought that an alloy/AL frame would be my best bet.....BUT more and more people are recommending Carbon and for some reason that 'does not compute'

crossjunkee
06-24-2013, 09:18 AM
I love carbon, for road and mountain biking. Take a look at the two videos when you get a chance.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/243228/

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_O9PLorYPA

rice rocket
06-24-2013, 09:58 AM
yeah speaking of "protection" i was told by a buddy about "DOWNTUBE PROTECTOR" from Lizard Skins.......never knew somethign like that even existed. How well do these work ? anyone have any experience with these?

With the majorty of terrain i ride on being jagged rock, and with how sh*tty a decender I am I thought that an alloy/AL frame would be my best bet.....BUT more and more people are recommending Carbon and for some reason that 'does not compute'

None of this computes because you're trying to assess a whole market with blanket statements. CAAD10s will dent/bend if you look at them wrong, and some DH carbon bikes will survive a nuclear holocaust.

Look for examples of the bike you want, and horror stories of people breaking them. If you can't find that, then you can get a good idea by looking at the weight. All the triple butted hydroformed tubing (or high-modulus stuff for carbon) weight weenie stuff are optimized for specific loading (i.e. normal riding loads) and will be fragile in any other condition. The heavier stuff has less thought into the load paths, which means they erred on the side of safety.

Don't compare a carbon frame with an aluminum though, carbon, gram for gram, will be lighter for the same yield strength.

azrider
06-24-2013, 10:20 AM
I love carbon, for road and mountain biking. Take a look at the two videos when you get a chance.

http://www.pinkbike.com/video/243228/

Wow that's insane video....

Likes2ridefar
06-24-2013, 10:45 AM
If ya crash and throw a carbon frame onto a rock, that tube 'may' crack-repair or throw away. If ya throw an aluminum frame on same rock, tube will probably dent but will still be rideable. PLUS AL probably much cheaper.

last time i checked it was strongly frowned upon to ride a dented or bent Al frame, wheel, etc, at least if we are referring to the same force exposed to the potentially cracked carbon frame.

christian
06-24-2013, 10:50 AM
I think all you can say is that for the same weight, a carbon bike ought to be more durable, but things are never that simple. In my mind, go cheap or buy a well-engineered bike from a major manufacturer or a sensible one from a custom builder.

I've got a cheap MTB now (best money I ever spent), and my next one will be a steel Zanconato, 44, or Coconino. Or a full-zoot 150mm travel wonderslush.

Likes2ridefar
06-24-2013, 10:56 AM
I think all you can say is that for the same weight, a carbon bike ought to be more durable, but things are never that simple. In my mind, go cheap or buy a well-engineered bike from a major manufacturer or a sensible one from a custom builder.

I've got a cheap MTB now (best money I ever spent), and my next one will be a steel Zanconato, 44, or Coconino. Or a full-zoot 150mm travel wonderslush.

sound advice! I like to call it squishmaster, though:bike:

azrider
06-24-2013, 01:12 PM
buy a well-engineered bike from a major manufacturer.

I've got an Allow 29er from C'dale and will be sticking with same OEM just different size.....and potentially different material