PDA

View Full Version : OT- Defending Paula Deen

reggiebaseball
06-22-2013, 07:55 PM
If you are in Savannah, please join my bike club in turning out to defend Paula Deen

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/us/in-the-south-many-are-willing-to-forgive-deens-racial-misstep.html?hp&_r=1&

Healthy looking herd of supporters already in force.

akelman
06-22-2013, 08:44 PM
I prefer Sandra Lee. Her multicultural (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we2iWTJqo98) sensibilities (http://foodnetworkhumor.com/2010/08/sandra-lees-other-abomination-the-hanukkah-cake/) are so au courant.

EDS
06-22-2013, 09:24 PM
If you are in Savannah, please join my bike club in turning out to defend Paula Deen

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/06/23/us/in-the-south-many-are-willing-to-forgive-deens-racial-misstep.html?hp&_r=1&

Wow. Healthy looking indeed. No meals missed by that bunch.

avalonracing
06-22-2013, 10:05 PM

Operative word: "Herd"

Spin71
06-22-2013, 10:10 PM

So you mock the fat while pointing out the social retardation of a former cooking show hoast. Well played.:crap:

Z3c
06-22-2013, 10:17 PM
Hey, you have to have sprinters too! Think of the draft behind the lady in blue; probably a 40% reduction in watts!

Louis
06-22-2013, 11:15 PM
So you mock the fat while pointing out the social retardation of a former cooking show hoast. Well played.:crap:

Paula's defenders claim that that sort of teasing is perfectly acceptable, so I assume they'd have no problems with it.

2LeftCleats
06-22-2013, 11:21 PM
Maria Bamford had a line something like: "Each of Paula Dean's recipes reads like a suicide note"

reggiebaseball
06-22-2013, 11:40 PM

Paula says fat people are really funny, so it is ok to laugh at them.

Honestly, I don't consider being fat a disease, I think it is a self inflicted condition that should be mocked.

Where I grew up, we made fun of fat kids and eventually they stopped eating so much. Indulging the obese only encourages them.

Put a little extra pat of butter on that honey - it will make you feel in control of your life.

Louis
06-22-2013, 11:46 PM
Where I grew up, we made fun of fat kids and eventually they stopped eating so much.

That's harsh. It's unlikely that the mockery is what caused them to change their ways. Some maybe, but I bet for most it just made them hate themselves even more.

fourflys
06-23-2013, 01:01 AM
really?????????????????

Here is a comment from the article:
“I get it, believe me,” Ms. Green said. “But what’s hard for people to understand is that she didn’t mean it as racist. It sounds bad, but that’s not what’s in her heart. She’s just from another time.”

From another time??? really??? so that makes it OK to sound like a racist jackass because you're "from another time"???? Are you EFFING KIDDING ME???

We all have a brain and can decide for ourselves what is morally right or wrong... if someone actually thinks it's OK for them to glamorize slavery by dressing up waiters as the slaves would have been on a plantation is OK, then there is really something wrong with them...

nope, can't say I'll be turning out to defend Paula Deen... or would support any club or riders that would... if you can't see how wrong it is what she said/did then there is truly no hope for you...

firerescuefin
06-23-2013, 01:05 AM
Chris...you're slipping (hint) ;)

really?????????????????

“I get it, believe me,” Ms. Green said. “But what’s hard for people to understand is that she didn’t mean it as racist. It sounds bad, but that’s not what’s in her heart. She’s just from another time.”

From another time??? really??? so that makes it OK to sound like a racist jackass because you're "from another time"???? Are you EFFING KIDDING ME???

We all have a brain and can decide for ourselves what is morally right or wrong... if someone actually thinks it's OK for them to glamorize slavery by dressing up waiters as the slaves would have been on a plantation is OK, then there is really something wrong with them...

nope, can't say I'll be turning out to defend Paula Deen... or would support any club or riders that would... if you can't see how wrong it is what she said/did then there is truly no hope for you...

InspectorGadget
06-23-2013, 01:07 AM
Think of the draft behind the lady in blue; probably a 40% reduction in watts!Ladies, plural, in blue. :rolleyes:

On a much more serious note, you're dreaming if you think racism isn't alive and well in the south. Maybe not the rule, but certainly not the exception.

My .02.

fourflys
06-23-2013, 01:08 AM
did the miss the ironic humor? sorry I just get spun up... the article really got me peeved, the attitudes of some the people are ludicrous....

Sorry to the OP, no malice toward you... ;) :beer:

fourflys
06-23-2013, 01:10 AM
On a much more serious note, you're dreaming if you think racism isn't alive and well in the south. Maybe not the rule, but certainly not the exception.

oh, it's alive in many areas of the country and not just a black and white thing... there's a reason I'll never move back to Indiana after leaving at 19 years old... diversity is a four letter word there...

Louis
06-23-2013, 01:12 AM
did the miss the ironic humor?

You may not be the only one.

I couldn't tell if R-baseball was being serious or not regarding the fat kids. I sort of assumed he wasn't but who knows...

victoryfactory
06-23-2013, 05:09 AM
Everyone practices discrimination. Everyone is more comfortable with
their own people, customs and culture.
It's natural. Some people are more careful and tolerant of "others"
they have trained themselves to behave in a civilized way.
We all hold stereotypes and dangerous generalizations about "other"
groups. Sometimes it's funny. Comedians have made careers on that.

"have you ever see a -blank- drive a car?"

How do you fill in the blank?

Sometimes what comes out of your mouth is not really what's in your
heart. This looks like one of those. Why do we always overreact to these
situations? Why are some apologies accepted and others not so much?
Why do we richeously pile on when someone less attractive takes a
miss step and forgive people we like?

Discrimitation is a human condition. Just because you have stricken
it from your speech does not mean you've removed it from your heart.

The way we react to these situations
also says something about ourselves. No?
Celebrate differences, laugh about them, just don't go to war over them.

Tolerance. Forgiveness. Patience. Respect.

VF

Tony T
06-23-2013, 06:32 AM
Where I grew up, we made fun of fat kids and eventually they stopped eating so much.

Adults usually regret that they did this to their classmates when they were young.

Tony T
06-23-2013, 06:36 AM
Sometimes it's funny. Comedians have made careers on that.

Bill Burr (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwrKaIy9U4E)

soulspinner
06-23-2013, 07:01 AM
oh, it's alive in many areas of the country and not just a black and white thing... there's a reason I'll never move back to Indiana after leaving at 19 years old... diversity is a four letter word there...

+1 ALWAYS surprises me when some person of position uses racist words while subordinates are supposed to accept it? Does he or she think everybody agrees with this attitude? I live in the northeast and believe me its everywhere.............

SamIAm
06-23-2013, 07:14 AM
This is a really useless thread.

mike p
06-23-2013, 07:25 AM
Where's the like button?

Mike

Everyone practices discrimination. Everyone is more comfortable with
their own people, customs and culture.
It's natural. Some people are more careful and tolerant of "others"
they have trained themselves to behave in a civilized way.
We all hold stereotypes and dangerous generalizations about "other"
groups. Sometimes it's funny. Comedians have made careers on that.

How do you fill in the blank?

Sometimes what comes out of your mouth is not really what's in your
heart. This looks like one of those. Why do we always overreact to these
situations? Why are some apologies accepted and others not so much?
Why do we richeously pile on when someone less attractive takes a
miss step and forgive people we like?

Discrimitation is a human condition. Just because you have stricken
it from your speech does not mean you've removed it from your heart.

The way we react to these situations
also says something about ourselves. No?
Celebrate differences, laugh about them, just don't go to war over them.

VF

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-23-2013, 07:37 AM
Ladies, plural, in blue. :rolleyes:

My .02.

Sadly, not only in the South.

Bikerist
06-23-2013, 07:38 AM
..... I think it is a self inflicted condition that should be mocked.

I'm sure you feel this way about being gay as well?

How about ugly people? They could elect to use better makeup, get plastic surgery or simply where a bag over their heads.

Don't even get me started about those loser, ass homeless people. We should all throw sodas at them.

Being black isn't quite self inflected, but if woman were not so stupid they would breed with white guys and in a few generations every thing would be fine.

I say we mock them all, that will show um!

oldpotatoe
06-23-2013, 07:46 AM
Wow. Healthy looking indeed. No meals missed by that bunch.

All white middle class too...what a surprise.

93legendti
06-23-2013, 07:54 AM
What would LBJ say?

BCS
06-23-2013, 07:58 AM
All white middle class too...what a surprise.

2 AA men under the awning in front of the doorway.

goonster
06-23-2013, 08:01 AM
What would LBJ say?
"Mah fellow Murcans . . ."

And, per earlier, Maria Bamford is a genius.

93legendti
06-23-2013, 08:27 AM
"Mah fellow Murcans . . ."

And, per earlier, Maria Bamford is a genius.

Not quite: "I'll have those ____ voting Democrat for the next 200 years."

reggiebaseball
06-23-2013, 09:25 AM
I'm sure you feel this way about being gay as well?

How about ugly people? They could elect to use better makeup, get plastic surgery or simply where a bag over their heads.

Don't even get me started about those loser, ass homeless people. We should all throw sodas at them.

Being black isn't quite self inflected, but if woman were not so stupid they would breed with white guys and in a few generations every thing would be fine.

I say we mock them all, that will show um!

I don't want to interrupt your fascinating rant, would you like to continue with nonsense, or shall I interrupt?

If you really think the "discrimination" you face because you shove ho-hos and sugar drinks down your pie-hole can be compared to growing up black or gay or female in America, you need your head examined.

Just like I don't feel for daily smokers who get lung cancer, or drunks who have bad livers, I don't feel for daily pig-faces who like fast food and resemble bowling pins in profile.

Obesity is self-inflicted through bad diet and poor exercise. It is fueled through acceptance, and results in tragically high mortality rates and soaring health care costs that society must bear the burden of.

Green eyes, straight or wavy hair, olive or pale or dark complexions, whether you like boys or girls- these were nature's choice and all are equally beautiful in my eyes.

Eating Paula Deen's deep fried butter sticks with maple syrup, and turning into an Orca, that is self-inflicted.

The reason I posted the original article is that the irony of her stupid cooking and stupid comments, coupled with over 10,000lbs of visible supporters (less than 30 people) in the photo in the NYT was too much to ignore. There is literally ONE person in that whole photo that would not qualify as morbidly obese (ie still human shaped).

weiwentg
06-23-2013, 09:28 AM
really?????????????????

Actually, I'm ok with cutting people "from another time" some slack. Tolerance, respect, etc as another poster alluded to. However, Paula Deen has gone way beyond that. She's acting like she's in the pre-Reconstruction South.

PQJ
06-23-2013, 09:34 AM
snip

Welcome to my ignore list, reggie.

OtayBW
06-23-2013, 09:46 AM

I wish it were that easy. Some things have consequences. Many places have a Zero Tolerance Policy for safety in the workplace, or for lying, or stealing, or discrimination, for example. I think the forgiveness, patience, and respect sometimes just comes later - like after they're looking for another job.

rwsaunders
06-23-2013, 10:01 AM
Who's Paula Deen?

Puget Pounder
06-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Paula says fat people are really funny, so it is ok to laugh at them.

Honestly, I don't consider being fat a disease, I think it is a self inflicted condition that should be mocked.

Where I grew up, we made fun of fat kids and eventually they stopped eating so much. Indulging the obese only encourages them.

Put a little extra pat of butter on that honey - it will make you feel in control of your life.

I hope you are joking here. Being overweight is just as much a socioeconomic problem as it is a control problem.

Edit - you weren't, my tapatalk simply didn't update. You are really close minded for condoning bullying of any type. Very adult of you.

SBash
06-23-2013, 11:11 AM
After reading all this BS, I have this urge for a couple donuts!:help:

Who in the F is Paula Deen

Bruce K
06-23-2013, 11:13 AM
Sorry guys but this one seems a little over the top

Not discounting the issue, but the tone and direction just isn't going well

Seems like bait was thrown and some folks rose to it

BK

reggiebaseball
06-23-2013, 11:13 AM
as for the "economic" part

Poor, truly poor people, like third world poor are not fat.

Lazy people who eat processed food rather than prepare their own meals are fat.

Truly poor people tend to buy things like rice and vegetables and cook for their families, and as a consequence are thin. They usually also have active jobs that require physical labor.

"working poor" people who have jobs for crappy wages and "no time" to cook, and feed their families fast food. They could, and should, cook. There is no excuse about what you put in the mouths of your children. People from other countries who are here. It is primarily people who grew up here who are ignorant of cooking and think fast food is an alternative.

now for the "socio"

well, yes much of the advertising in the air is food related, and most of the foods are saturated with chemical and processes that make them addictive and hard to resist.
And life can be hard, and fast, and it is nice to be in control of a heaping meat slammer deluxe with a fried eggs and bacon strips (I suppose).

But ultimately, your own body, the responsibility is on you to care for it.

That is why fat people usually feel bad about themselves, they are fat.
They KNOW on an intrinsic level they are unhealthy. It doesn't take watching top model or being ridiculed to know that, getting winded walking to the refrigerator and being unattractive to the opposite sex are usually cues.

So, it is really not an ailment in my mind, and does not need to be coddled, appreciated or "understood".

the "once upon a time in the schoolyard" thing was a joke,

but you don't want to be around when a woman asks me "do I look fat in this" and I tell her "you look fat in everything, probably out of everything too"
cause I don't mind being honest.

Bruce K
06-23-2013, 04:43 PM
And this is why threads get locked and folks can get time outs

BK