PDA

View Full Version : Mavic Plasma Helmet

firerescuefin
06-22-2013, 03:17 PM
Thoughts (Sizing/Comfort/Quality)...etc.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff

FlashUNC
06-22-2013, 04:06 PM
My mechanic buddy has nothing but good things to say about it.

But he also has a small and oddly shaped egghead.

firerescuefin
06-22-2013, 04:19 PM
Saw one the other day...intrigued...Pretty good price on them a few places and have received decent reviews in the press (whatever that means)

Charles (Pez)...have you tried one?

akelman
06-22-2013, 04:34 PM
I tried one, Geoff, when Bonktown (or Chainlove or whatever it's called today) had them. The helmet seemed pretty solid all around: light enough, decent fastening and adjustment mechanisms, etc. But I didn't love it. First, the aesthetics didn't really work for me. The somewhat shiny grey rear grill looked sort of cheesy to my eye, especially when juxtaposed with the flat black top. And second, the fit was only okay for me. As Flash said above, it seemed to be a helmet made for someone with even more of a bean-shaped head than I have.

In the end, though, helmets are like saddles: one man's crown is another man's jester hat. Can you get one from a place that will take it back if you don't love it? It looks like Backcountry has them for a decent price with a 100% guarantee on returns. Maybe buy one from them and then return it to REI if you're not happy?

oldpotatoe
06-23-2013, 07:41 AM
Thoughts (Sizing/Comfort/Quality)...etc.

Thanks in advance,

Geoff

Well made, the whole line. Somewhat small in sizing tho and no XL. Good retention, good ventilation, well made and not big $. I sell 'em BTW-

kurto
06-23-2013, 08:22 AM
I have one (got it from Chainlove on the cheap last fall - good deals to be found). I really like it. I have a pretty big melon, and the large size fits me quite well. It looks cool to my eyes, and while the only complaints I had read about it said it was heavy, I don't feel it. Seems light to me. It has yet to get really hot up here, so I can't really comment on how well it ventilates, but it seems well vented. It's plenty comfy and easily adjustable. Basically, it gets a big thumbs up from me (especially considering the price).

LJohnny
06-23-2013, 08:30 AM
I've got the plasma slr. I like it and find the fitting mechs well designed. The matte black in the slr line is appealing to many as I've found while on the road.

rando
06-23-2013, 10:33 AM
Anyone had problems with the retention system slipping? Really liked the helmet but hearing that problem was quite common kept me from helping the lbs clear some old stock out.

Scott Shire
06-23-2013, 03:40 PM
That slipping retention is all that's keeping me from using one to replace my Catlike. I've heard the same tales of woe.

But I've tried the SLR and it's as good a helmet as I've worn.

God I miss the old euro Catlikes.

LJohnny
06-23-2013, 04:54 PM
haven't had that issue, I wasn't aware of it, BUT I am going to test mine.

Does this purportedly happens under pressure or is it reported as failure to engage the mechs in the back?

LJohnny
06-23-2013, 05:09 PM
I was just checking some pics on the net and it seems that there is a difference in the retention mech between '12 and '13 helmets. I have the '12 model. So I don't know where this stands on the slippage issue....

kurto
06-24-2013, 07:05 AM
Anyone had problems with the retention system slipping? Really liked the helmet but hearing that problem was quite common kept me from helping the lbs clear some old stock out.

None. I wiped out pretty good on my mtb a couple weeks ago and rolled a couple times. I didn't bash my head, but it definitely touched the ground, and my helmet stayed totally secure, so I trust it not to slip just riding along.

rando
06-24-2013, 03:21 PM
Thanks, I took another look at both years models today. I'm fonder of the all white '13 version but it is good to know that perhaps the stories of failure were insubstantial in the '12.

Too bad the Plasma SLR is duo-tone. The finishing and carbon weave, instead of grey Alutex, are worth the extra money to me.

LJohnny
06-24-2013, 03:41 PM
Thanks, I took another look at both years models today. I'm fonder of the all white '13 version but it is good to know that perhaps the stories of failure were insubstantial in the '12.

Too bad the Plasma SLR is duo-tone. The finishing and carbon weave, instead of grey Alutex, are worth the extra money to me.

Not all plasma slr are dual tone. I have one that is matte black. However, I got mine around 8 months ago....

rando
06-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Should have specified that the white version has a black tail end.

CC marked the '13 Plasma down to $135 (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-apparel/2013-mavic-plasma-helmet-36523.10.1.html). The '12 is on sale there as well.

oldpotatoe
06-25-2013, 07:20 AM
Should have specified that the white version has a black tail end.

CC marked the '13 Plasma down to $135 (http://www.competitivecyclist.com/product-apparel/2013-mavic-plasma-helmet-36523.10.1.html). The '12 is on sale there as well.

Yikes..needed a reason to either carry or not carry these helmets..this pretty much makes my mind up.

rando
06-25-2013, 08:27 AM
Hmm, pre-tour markdown to get interest in a helmet brand that wasn't moving fast enough for a high volume place like that? The popular branded ones will be on sale for at least a day during the tour.

I should clarify with you that if I did buy this helmet it would be from the lbs that carries them. Numerous others noted it was a great helmet at the insanely discounted price they paid for it. Hovever, the market seems to be speaking to the fact Mavic overvalues it at retail.

rando
06-26-2013, 09:06 PM
Bought a Plasma SLR at the lbs this evening. The owner wears one and on top of his personal recommendation I liked the way it fit. Initial ride in 90+ F temps went well enough with no sweat running into my eyes.