PDA

View Full Version : Forum Women! What saddles do you use?

William
06-22-2013, 09:47 AM
I'm curious what saddles our female forum participants might recommend? My mother is buying a new house near a bike path and wants to get a new bike. She knows I'm a bike geek and was asking for advice....and frankly off the top of my head I couldn't think of one. I could name off a number of models from the guys point of use, but I'm not sure they are the best for women?

So, what should I recommend?

Thanks,
William

reggiebaseball
06-22-2013, 09:57 AM
Terry firefly

branflakes
06-22-2013, 10:00 AM
i would imagine it depends on bike style. my now ex-wife swears by the terry butterfly. she uses it on her road bike and commuter. she is less particular for the mountain bike however.

it probably also depends on build of individual and relative state of fitness. the ex is a rather athletic build, probably 140-145lb, and maintains a pretty decent state of fitness.

her description of sitting on my toupe was it was like 'an elephant trying to do bad things' to her.

rugbysecondrow
06-22-2013, 10:03 AM
terry butterfly on her road bike. if she rides a hybrid, then that recommendation goes out the window.

if she is looking for a new bike I like, and my mom likes, the Townie Bikes http://www.electrabike.com/Bikes/townie-bikes-electra

reggiebaseball
06-22-2013, 10:20 AM
it was like 'an elephant trying to do bad things' to her.

if I had a nickel for every time I heard that one...

dem
06-22-2013, 11:40 AM
Depends more on usage than gender, I'm thinking.

Sub 10 mile cruising.. some big fat comfort saddle is just the ticket. Maybe with springs!

My wife rolls a Terry Butterfly too. Seattle-to-portland and Death Ride and everything in between. Comfort trumping fashion, obviously.. ideally it should be white!

http://www.haphazard.com/bikes/pink.jpg

branflakes
06-22-2013, 12:21 PM
of course so far only us men have responded to a request for woman's input. surely some woman will come by and put us in our place. :cool:

Kirk Pacenti
06-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Mrs. twenty7five rode a Terry Ti Butterfly saddle for years, including a 4,000+ mile trip across country, but now she prefers the Phorm s/330 Gel Max women's saddle.

I've not ridden it, but it does *look* like a more comfortable / supportive saddle.

http://phorm-cycling.com/collections/saddles-fitness-women/products/s-330-gel-max-women

Cheers,
KP

dem
06-22-2013, 01:12 PM
And that Phorm saddle is available in white.. maybe worth trying!

roguedog
06-22-2013, 01:41 PM
Had friend I tried to get into riding but she tried like 2 or so different saddles and they were all no go. She was on a tight budget though. I recommended the Serfas RX (http://www.amazon.com/Serfas-RX-Womens-Bicycle-Saddle/dp/B000W7K3SA) for women and she's been loving it ever since.

It's price point is relatively low. If you get it from REI, you'e golden. It's low risk for trial and error imho.

SpeedyChix
06-22-2013, 02:30 PM
If she's an upright rider take a look at the WTB Pure saddle, the ti rail version adds a bit more give to it as well. It's a wider saddle and has the slight hammock (which I prefer). It offers pretty good comfort front to rear.

My non-mtb saddle is the Aliante but I'd not expect someone who doesn't ride much to find that comfy at first.

zmudshark
06-22-2013, 03:15 PM
My wife, who is a casual rider in her late 50's, likes Terry Liberators and WTB She Beasts.

Mud
06-22-2013, 03:59 PM
We both use this saddle. Takes all the pain out of soft tissue. We use it on our road bikes and mountain bikes. Once it is set up properly it is great.

Fishbike
06-22-2013, 04:23 PM
I have a couple of Terry Butterflies -- I find them comfy but a bit wide. I like Specialized saddles a lot including the Jett. I also like the Selle Italia Diva, C2 and SL. Not a fan of the rounded saddles -- Aliante, Rolls. I like Brooks Swallows -- no squishing where there shouldn't be squishing.

jumpjube
06-22-2013, 04:43 PM
My wife did not like any of the Terry saddles which she tried.

Her favorite is probably Prologo Choice (on several of her bikes), but she has also not complained about San Marco Aspide (not the gel), Sella Italia Flite (varous models, again not gel) and Fizik Arione.

Fizik Antares did not work for her.

She may be fortunate, as various shapes seem to work. Just NOT Terry.

djg21
06-22-2013, 05:03 PM
Had friend I tried to get into riding but she tried like 2 or so different saddles and they were all no go. She was on a tight budget though. I recommended the Serfas RX (http://www.amazon.com/Serfas-RX-Womens-Bicycle-Saddle/dp/B000W7K3SA) for women and she's been loving it ever since.

It's price point is relatively low. If you get it from REI, you'e golden. It's low risk for trial and error imho.

My wife loves this saddle too.

binouye
06-22-2013, 08:59 PM
My wife likes the Terry Butterfly (2 bikes) and a Sella Italia LDY gelflow (1 bike), which to my eye has a very similar shape. She has previously used a couple other Terry saddles, but likes the butterfly.

twin
06-22-2013, 10:19 PM
My twin and i always use Brooks Finness saddles because they are very comfortable for all types of riding. I think they are one if the best looking saddles.

reggiebaseball
06-22-2013, 11:42 PM
My wife says she is now on a Bontrager women-specific saddle.
It has magic hoo-hah cradling abilities.

InspectorGadget
06-23-2013, 01:19 AM
I'm a manly man, but I really like pink bikes.

http://www.haphazard.com/bikes/pink.jpg

... needs a pink or white saddle.

oldpotatoe
06-23-2013, 08:08 AM
I'm curious what saddles our female forum participants might recommend? My mother is buying a new house near a bike path and wants to get a new bike. She knows I'm a bike geek and was asking for advice....and frankly off the top of my head I couldn't think of one. I could name off a number of models from the guys point of use, but I'm not sure they are the best for women?

So, what should I recommend?

Thanks,
William

No 'best', for men or women.

Not the saddle but the fit...good fit most often = comfort, poor fit often means discomfort regardless of saddle design.

dem
06-23-2013, 08:17 AM
I'm a manly man, but I really like pink bikes.

... needs a pink or white saddle.

ha ha, yes, when I built that I asked my wife if there was such a thing as "too much pink" - she said no. :)

That Phorm saddle is white, maybe I can convince her to try it.

Bkat
06-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Any of you Fizik users go with their women-specific model?

reggiebaseball
06-23-2013, 10:24 AM
ha ha, yes, when I built that I asked my wife if there was such a thing as "too much pink" - she said no. :)

That Phorm saddle is white, maybe I can convince her to try it.

Pink bike rocks
needs Hello Kitty graphics and decals though!

boomana
06-23-2013, 10:58 AM

I have the Fizik Vitesse in a nice honey color on my Calfee. It's great for rides under 50 miles, but not so much after. I'm thinking of trying the Vesta for some relief on the lady bits for long distances, though I've heard that there's a bit too much padding towards the nose, and it actually causes more problems. I love the B17 on my Gunnar, especially on long rides, but a leather saddle has its drawbacks, especially since I seem to ride in the rain a lot, like this morning, and constant humidity and sweat. I have a Kirk JKS coming any day now (Joe Bell has it now, and it may already be painted), and I'm probably going back on saddle hunt. A lot of shops around here have saddle demos, but no real selection in women's saddles. My sit bones are wider than most men's saddles will accommodate. It's frustrating.

dem
06-23-2013, 12:55 PM
Pink bike rocks
needs Hello Kitty graphics and decals though!

She's not a Hello Kitty woman.. but she does want a time trial bike that I'm pondering a theme for. Maybe black tiger stripes on a pink frame? I am not sure how much more over the top I can get.. but I'm thinking about it!

bironi
06-23-2013, 07:49 PM
She's not a Hello Kitty woman.. but she does want a time trial bike that I'm pondering a theme for. Maybe black tiger stripes on a pink frame? I am not sure how much more over the top I can get.. but I'm thinking about it!

Consult the Bumblebee.

C50
06-23-2013, 09:28 PM
I would say ISM design, model depends on style of bike and riding preferences and then as has been said put the saddle in the proper place in the context of an overall good fit.

MrDangerPants
06-24-2013, 06:14 AM
For an upright position, my wife opted for a Brooks B67S. She really likes it.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mcg9lcrSf91rsielzo2_1280.jpg

mktng
06-24-2013, 06:59 AM
90's Flite Ti

Sheldon4209
06-24-2013, 07:16 AM
My stoker/wife rides a Selle Italia Diva. She liked the old Terry Butterfly but not the new ones.

axel23
06-24-2013, 07:42 AM

My wife uses the Fizik Vitesse. Has it on both her road bikes. Doesn't like Terry or cut-outs. She logged significant miles - including Chris Horner's Grand Fondo. Says this is the best saddle she's tried.

dem
06-24-2013, 07:47 AM
For an upright position, my wife opted for a Brooks B67S. She really likes it.

That's the ticket for sub-10 mile cruising, I bet! A sprung saddle is tough to beat for casual riding. Nice bike, too.

SpeedyChix
06-24-2013, 07:48 AM

Tried one a few years ago, didn't agree with it. However Fizik Aliante (but not the Gamma) works great.

yoshirider
06-24-2013, 09:39 AM
I have tried terry butterfly and found it to have too much padding. I thought my selle italia diva was great but it causes burning in my legs during long rides. I also tried the selle italia slr lady and that one has way too little padding for longer rides. I recently purchased a bike that came with the Fizik Vesta on it and was surprised that I had no issues with it despite having no cut out. It is the most comfortable saddle I have used thus far.

christian
06-24-2013, 09:44 AM
My wife rides a Selle San Marco Rolls. Always has.

mktng
06-24-2013, 09:45 AM
Fizik Arione Donna is also a good option

cycle_chic
06-25-2013, 01:39 AM
I ride the Selle Italia SLR Lady Flow. Cutout is the way to go!

stien
06-25-2013, 06:31 AM
For upright, go big, go squishy.

Thankfully my girlfriend rides the same toupe 143 that I do, but I suspect it's mainly the fit.

William
06-25-2013, 08:02 AM
Thank you for all the suggestions!:cool:

Now, process of elimination to see what Ma William is going to ride. :)

William