PDA

View Full Version : Lighweight Standard III: tubular bliss!!!

slinkywizard
06-21-2013, 03:18 PM
After being very happy with a set of tubular Neutron's I picked up used a few weeks ago, the latest new toy is a set of third Gen. LW's I bought used as well. I normally don't have the habit of buying multiple sets of wheels in one week, but both sets were just the right price and for sale locally so I couldn't restrain myself. After switching the freehub to campagnolo and changing the brake pads to the ones spec'd by LW, I took them out for a quick spin this morning on my usual pre-work training loop (ca. 35 k with about 2500 ft vertical) along lake Zürich. I must admit, these wheels really hit the spot! Accelerating, cornering, cruising along, descending...they do it al beautifully! I was quite happy riding the Time with the wheels is came with (Time equal clinchers), a set of Zipp 404's and then the neutrons, which were my favorites so far. But the LW's are a completely different dimension. They take the whole thing to a new level. The bike handles so much more direct, so much more secure. Not sure what I like best about the LW's, everything I guess, in any case these wheels will be good for many, many km's of riding with a big grin on my face. Can't wait to see what happens when I put them on my other bikes, and given the fact that they currently have conti sprinter 22's on them, can't wait to see how they'll feel with some dugast's of veloflex carbon's. Ah...the joy of such a nice new toy! I'm planning to take them up into the mountains to do some passes next week and the thought of that just makes me giddy with anticipation...:)

thwart
06-21-2013, 03:22 PM
You've convinced me. I'm running out to buy a set tomorrow.

Right after I knock over that bank.

Seriously, glad to hear you like them...

slinkywizard
06-21-2013, 03:35 PM
I'm running out to buy a set tomorrow.

Right after I knock over that bank.

Given the fact that the Swiss seem to pretty much shun buying second hand stuff, I got these wheels for a very, very good price. No way I could or would spend retail on these, but for the price of a couple of those fancy californian bespoke handmade bibs, these were really good value for money...:cool:

reggiebaseball
06-21-2013, 05:12 PM
ok, doing good!
put the veloflex on now.

there is nowhere else to go but down in this department, now you can concentrate on something else.

You have rainy day wheels already (neutrons).

MAke sure you use Lightweights brake pads, they are nice, no substitute for the real thing.

slinkywizard
06-21-2013, 11:27 PM
put the veloflex on now.
Make sure you use Lightweights brake pads, they are nice, no substitute for the real thing.

Will do so Sir! LW brake pads are already in place. I agree, nowhere to go wheel wise from here, except ceramic bearings maybe...

reggiebaseball
06-21-2013, 11:33 PM
there is no benefit to ceramic bearings, Carbonsports themselves will tell you so, if you inquire.

oldpotatoe
06-22-2013, 06:41 AM
Will do so Sir! LW brake pads are already in place. I agree, nowhere to go wheel wise from here, except ceramic bearings maybe...

Ceramic bearings are a waste of $ on anything 'bicycle'. Nice wheels, stiff, expensive, probably being tubular and psychology has something to do with it all, IMHO.

Z3c
06-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Nice wheels, stiff, expensive, probably being tubular and psychology has something to do with it all, IMHO.

LW's change the ride qualities of a bike in my experience. I have moved them amongst bikes and always noted a more lively feeling with them. Had Gen 2's for a few years, sold them about 2 years ago. Recenty ended up with a mixed pair of 1/2's; astounded once again compared to wheels that most would consider great. Pricey but worth(subjective of course!) it if you have the means as Bueller would say.. Used is the way to go IMHO as they are very well made.

soulspinner
06-23-2013, 07:12 AM
there is no benefit to ceramic bearings, Carbonsports themselves will tell you so, if you inquire.

Not entirely true. Those bearings make the most difference when you go SLOW, not fast. Also, the difference even then is probably never gonna matter to most of us, its tiny.

slinkywizard
06-23-2013, 03:46 PM
LW's change the ride qualities of a bike in my experience. I have moved them amongst bikes and always noted a more lively feeling with them

Lively describes it accurately. Though the NXR was hardly sluggish when ridden with the neutron tubulars, the LW's really take it to the next level. The effect is the most noticeable when climbing out of the saddle and when descending curvy stretches. Remarkable comfortable for such a stiff wheel despite the conti sprinters. Haven't noticed any deflection laterally when climbing out of the saddle. Absolutely confidence inspiring as well on descents. Can't wait try them on my ti bikes. Braking with the LW pads has been great so far, haven't tried them in the rain though...With all this talk about how expensive they are, compared to the 80th anniversary Super Record, these were an absolute bargain at less than half the price...:cool: The price for a new set of LW Meilenstein's is actually only about 600 USD more the best price I've seen for the 80th anniversary SR here in Europe.