PDA

View Full Version : foldable tires -- any tips?

Serpico
12-13-2005, 06:25 PM
I just got some Vredestein Fortezzas, which are foldable.

These things are like a wet, limp, flat noodle--any tips appreciated.

thanks

Bill Bove
12-13-2005, 06:29 PM
Pump 'em up. No joke, Verd says that you should pump them up to full recommended pressure. I had a pair that said 170lbs. I thought I'd be turning small pebbles into missiles and sliding out in corners but they did ride better high than low.

dave thompson
12-13-2005, 07:10 PM

thanks
"Form" them with your hands 2 or three times around, then you can mount the bead on the rim. I use a partially inflated tube to help the tire keep its shape while mounting. Normal mounting procedures afterwards.

Serpico
12-13-2005, 11:32 PM
okay, I'm hoping this is easier than it looks--they barely look like tires, and I've had them hanging up for two days

Louis
12-13-2005, 11:47 PM
Once you get some air in the tubes they'll look just like "regular" tires.

And the kevlar bead will (should) work just as well as the wire bead. Keep in mind that the bending strength of the bead is not what keeps it on the rim.

Louis

Too Tall
12-14-2005, 06:21 AM
Serpico, suppleness is a good quality in bicycle tires.

Kevan
12-14-2005, 07:37 AM
I used these tires for about 3 seasons and while the initial install was always a little squirrelly the tires always fit and took shape. I never tried hard to pre-shape them, I simply unfolded them, gave the rubber some hint in the direction I wanted it to go and that was it. Dave's right a mouth's blow or two of air into the inner tubes will help you along.

I have since gone on to Michelins for this past season, but I think I might return to Vredestein Fortezzas for the next. As for their recommended high pressure, I never warmed up to it. The ride was particularly stiff and when I reduced the pressure to my preference of about 115psi, I felt no loss in control and the tire had more give in it.

Serpico
12-14-2005, 01:21 PM
Serpico, suppleness is a good quality in bicycle tires.

good point :)

fiamme red
12-14-2005, 01:34 PM
okay, I'm hoping this is easier than it looks--they barely look like tires, and I've had them hanging up for two daysDon't you know that you need to age them in the cellar for at least a year? ;)

Serotta_Andrew
12-14-2005, 01:42 PM

thanks

The Serotta Demo fleet will be riding on Vredestein tyres!!!

Keep the pressure up but check the rims you are using as some have a limit of 130 psi.

Fixed
12-14-2005, 01:48 PM
The Serotta Demo fleet will be riding on Vredestein tyres!!!

Keep the pressure up but check the rims you are using as some have a limit of 130 psi.
bro that is a good point don't blow it off the rim, puttin it on easy as pie I'd do it for ya if i could they wear pretty good i like em cheers :beer:

Serpico
12-20-2005, 11:08 PM
:crap:

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/fighting/fighting0010.gif

gggRRR!!! ***!?!?

I just got my wheels in today, everything ready to go--and I can't get these friggin' tires on!!!

http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/fighting/fighting0078.gif

http://www.bikeforums.net/images/smilies/crash.gif

Serpico
12-21-2005, 01:45 PM
Bump

bluesea
12-21-2005, 01:54 PM
At what point are you experiencing a problem? 1st bead? 2nd bead?

Serpico
12-21-2005, 02:06 PM
everything, I feel like an idiot

these things aren't even shaped like tires

I start to get one side in, and then the other side or the tube pops out--I start with some air (to form it) and then as I get closer I reduce the air to fit the bead(s) in.

thanks

justinf
12-21-2005, 04:15 PM
I use the Fortezzas too and usually put one pump stroke's worth of air in the tube to give the tires a little shape. Seat one bead of the tire fully, then the other. Just be careful of pinching/snakebiting the tube this way. Hopefully this is somewhat helpful. . .

justinf
12-21-2005, 04:16 PM
oops, didn't see your last post for some reason. Just keep at it. This is the method. . .

bluesea
12-21-2005, 07:48 PM
Here's some basics when dificulties arise. Start with the lower bead completely in the rim, and with a partially inflated tube in place--the tire should have a little bit of body at this point.

With the stem away from you, start 180 degrees opposite the stem, and working up equally on both sides, maintaining control of both beads, the bottom that is already in, and the top that is in the process of being flipped over the lip into the rim. As you reach the top, and everything is getting tighter on the left and right and top, make sure that the inner and outer beads 180 degrees opposite the stem can slip into the deepest section of the inner rim, thus creating a little more slack near the top, which should allow you to complete the process of securing the last section of bead right at the area of the stem.

JohnS
12-21-2005, 08:56 PM
I never knew that mounting folding tires was such rocket science. I guess that I just must be lucky.

Serpico
12-22-2005, 06:04 PM
I never knew that mounting folding tires was such rocket science. I guess that I just must be lucky.

lol, yeah it was me :o

Dirt-pal showed me how to install them, a bit different than my attempts

thanks again Dirt :beer: