PDA

View Full Version : Garmin question

2wheelwill
06-20-2013, 01:26 AM
My Garmin 500 takes 3-5 minutes to find and connect to the satellite. Is this normal? My friends' Garmins seem to connect right away. Are there any settings i can play with to get a quicker connection? Thx!

Bruce K
06-20-2013, 04:14 AM
Seems like a long time.

At home both my GPS computers (1 G500, 1 Joule GPS) seem to take longer than 1 minute. The Joule is the slower of the two.

Away from here the Garmin usually takes 15 - 20 seconds to "connect".

I don't know of any settings to change but Garmin has pretty decent support so you might try calling or e-mailing them.

BK

rnhood
06-20-2013, 05:16 AM
It will find the satellites faster if its not moving, and without tree cover of course. Also, even after connecting it will continue to read all recognizable satellites in order to reduce the error (especially vertical). I think the 3-5 minutes is about right.

If you start moving the screen will go to the normal data screen once connected, even though it is continuing the initialization process (reading any available satellites) to reduce the errors.

As mentioned, you can call Garmin support but I'm not sure your unit is problematic.

roydyates
06-20-2013, 06:01 AM
3-5 min is not totally uncommon. It will take longer when the sky is overcast. Also, don't turn it on until you are outside. Otherwise it can get confused if it can't see a satellite it thinks it should see. Also, it's better if you start riding around wile you are searching. It may be that the spot you are standing in just happens to obstruct a particular satellite.

Finally, don't watch it while it's searching. A watched garmin never boils.

bpm
06-20-2013, 06:46 AM
My Garmin 500 takes 3-5 minutes to find and connect to the satellite. Is this normal? My friends' Garmins seem to connect right away. Are there any settings i can play with to get a quicker connection? Thx!

Mine takes about 3 or 4 minutes if I'm indoors and/or if I'm moving, but it's generally less than minute if I wait until I'm outdoors to turn it on, and if I'm stationary until it acquires the satellites.

moose8
06-20-2013, 07:03 AM
perform an autolocate: https://support.garmin.com/support/searchSupport/case.faces?caseId={84774820-e4ef-11de-d785-000000000000}

If it hasn't been in use for two weeks, or hasn't been reset in awhile, it loses the satellites it was locked into, and takes a long time to lock in. After an autolocate, at least for me, it became pretty much instantaneous.

yoshirider
06-20-2013, 10:24 AM
you can try updating your firmware to newest version if you haven't done so already. i had the same problem and noticed somewhat of an improvement after i updated it.

Likes2ridefar
06-20-2013, 10:33 AM
delete all your old rides in the "activities" and you'll probably find it'll work a charm.

old fat man
06-20-2013, 10:41 AM
i also make it a habit to turn it on and put it on a window sill or something while i get my shoes and helmet, so it has extra time to locate the satellites.

CDollarsign
06-20-2013, 10:43 AM
Mine takes a long time. Its really annoying...

technicolor
06-20-2013, 10:45 AM
Yep. Takes forever.

Ryun
06-20-2013, 11:08 AM
Mine takes forever with the treecover. I ususally just turn it on before I pump the tires and let it go about its business while I finish putting shoes on etc...

sfscott
06-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Starts-up lickety-split.

Likes2ridefar
06-20-2013, 02:04 PM
Starts-up lickety-split.

Yes I wonder if they changed something with the 200/510 and 810. My 200 is significantly faster connecting, usually less than 5 seconds, basically I turn it on and hit ride and I'm good to go. the 500 never did that.

Liv2RideHard
06-20-2013, 02:13 PM
Satellite acquisition is dependent on satellite position and their positions are ever changing. Sometimes satellite geometry and triangulation can be instantaneous and at other times of the day it can take several minutes for adequate geometry and triangulation to sync. Keep this in mind. Also, like others have said, trees and other overhead obstacles can interfere. If you are in an urban setting, tall buildings can impact geometry. If you lean your bike on the edge of your garage, your house can interfere with geometry. A number of things can affect satellite acquisition. I use much fancier GPS equipment at work and sometimes we will be in a wide open space and get poor satellite geometry. Go back to the same site a day later...instant geometry. It all depends on where the satellites are overhead at that moment.

Lewis Moon
06-20-2013, 02:30 PM
i also make it a habit to turn it on and put it on a window sill or something while i get my shoes and helmet, so it has extra time to locate the satellites.

This.

biker72
06-20-2013, 03:49 PM
My Garmin 500 takes no more than one minute to acquire the satellites.
Much longer if I move just a little bit.