PDA

View Full Version : Dedicated touring bike needed for riding cross country?

MattTuck
06-19-2013, 11:12 AM
I've been thinking more about riding across America lately (the desire seems to ebb and flow, but is always there at a base level), and I'm trying to roughly think about the costs/logistics needed to make it happen.

I know fully loaded touring takes a toll on bikes but I'm wondering what bike/frame options there might be for someone who is not particularly interested in touring other than this trip. Would it be best to just buy a touring frame for the trip and sell it afterward?

jtakeda
06-19-2013, 11:15 AM
Everyone I've talked to says get a surly lht and be done with it.

merlinmurph
06-19-2013, 11:22 AM
I think it's time for another Kirk. :) I think Dave could whip something up for you that will be more than adequate.

BobbyJones
06-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Unless you're planning on going WAY off the beaten path a full on touring bike may be overkill.

I think with the current selection of (relatively) inexpensive Lightweight gear along with decent cellphone coverage in most places you maybe better off with a traditional bike

For some interesting reading on the subject, check out this article:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=9738&v=EY

christian
06-19-2013, 11:33 AM
Used Surly LHT or Trek 520. The former rides like a truck, but who cares.

sg8357
06-19-2013, 11:35 AM
Having used improvised touring bikes a couple times, you really really
want to try the bike out loaded. Do a 40 miler loaded with some good
hills and down hills. Peoples tolerance for wiggly bikes, shimmy and bailing
wire repairs varies, get an idea of yours BEFORE you leave on a 2000 mile trip.

"Adventure is just bad planning" Roald Amundsen

Bradford
06-19-2013, 11:36 AM
I would not do a fully loaded tour without a real touring bike. You have no idea how important the right equipment is until you are in the middle of nowhere and realize you don't have the right bike/wheels/gearing/spare parts...not to mention tools.

If you think this is your only shot at it, buy a used touring bike and then sell it when you are done. Look for a Trek 520 or Cannondale TXXX. The Surly would also do the trick. Don't worry too much about age, I still tour on late 90's 9 speed stuff. Make sure you get good racks and bags...I've had to buy them both on the road to replace broken stuff.

I would challenge your assumption on not wanting the bike after this trip, though. I use my touring bike for commuting, trips to the store, anytime I want to lock it outside, dragging the kids around on in the trailer, and long slow rides in the country when I need to bring lots of food or clothes. Essentially, if the ride begins and ends at my garage or car with no stops in between, I ride my Legend. Everything else, I take the touring bike. Personally, I don't understand why everybody doesn't have one.

I have a IF, which is a joy to ride anytime, but my dear departed Cannondale was fun to ride also. And don't discount the chance that the bug will bite you and this won't be your last tour...it happens to the best of us.

fiamme red
06-19-2013, 11:38 AM
I know someone who rode across the country with a racing bike, pulling all his stuff in a Burley trailer. He finished the trip and had a great time, although his frame did break about halfway, and he needed to replace it. I'm not sure if stresses from the loaded trailer had anything to do with it.

Ken Robb
06-19-2013, 11:41 AM
"rides like a truck" may be a good comparison. A vehicle designed to carry heavy loads often rides poorly when lightly loaded. If you have ever driven an empty heavy duty pickup you know what I mean.

OTOH all other things being equal a bike with longer chainstays will have a cushier ride because the rider is not sitting right over the rear axle.

For a weekend credit card tour I would be happy with my Riv Rambouillet. For longer cedit card tours I would choose my Riv Allrounder. Either of these handle fine with a HUGE sadlebag hanging from the loops on my Brooks B-17. For self-supported camping my Allrounder (or other full-on touring bike) with racks and panniers would be my choice. I would want at least 700x30 tires. My Allrounder has 700x37 tires now.

sc53
06-19-2013, 11:46 AM
Everyone I've talked to says get a surly lht and be done with it.

A couple in my club has been riding cross country (different routes) every summer and the Long Haul Trucker is what they are both on. Seems to do the job. They (the bikes I mean) are very fully loaded with camping equipment, stove, solar charging panel for their phones, etc. Front and rear panniers. They are in their 70's.
I guess if you are not going to be camping, you could ride a lighter weight bike and carry less gear. You are going to be crossing some remote areas whatever route you choose, though, so some tools and spare parts, food, water and clothes are a must even for lighter, credit card touring.

Bradford
06-19-2013, 11:48 AM
Unless you're planning on going WAY off the beaten path a full on touring bike may be overkill.

I think with the current selection of (relatively) inexpensive Lightweight gear along with decent cellphone coverage in most places you maybe better off with a traditional bike

For some interesting reading on the subject, check out this article:

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=9738&v=EY
Granted, self sufficiency is a big deal to me, but I wouldn't go out with this approach. Most people tour in out of the way places because that's where the cool rides are. Going across country, there are plenty of places that are off the beaten path.

I'm also don't like the lightweight approach. I prefer a little extra room in my tent and full cookware. It is tough to get a load under 45 pounds if you camp and easy to get up to 65 pounds with food (not counting racks). A light bike would handle like crap under that load.

In addition, the cell phone plan is a bad plan. Cross country means A) you will be out of cell phone range, and B) you don't know anybody to call. In addition, it is kind of a big deal to ride every mile in the trip. Hitchhiking to the nearest town could be a long way. You don't want to remember the time you rode almost all the way across the country.

As an example, I once split a tire sidewall on Togwotee pass. I was over 100 miles from the nearest bike shop with a replacement. You don't want bike problems, and if you have them, you need to be able to fix them yourself. (I had a spare folding tire and was back on the road in 10 minutes).

old fat man
06-19-2013, 11:49 AM
I was happy touring across the US on a ti cx bike with a BOB trailer. Doing it again, I'd give panniers a serious shot instead of the trailer though.

My only mechanical issues were a failed Open Pro rim and two failed FSA cranks. I was fortunate enough to fix those on my own without losing too much time.

If you do it, go West-East and enjoy yourself. My neighbor is almost done with her East-West tour and she was rained on for the first 1.5 weeks and has faced headwinds nonstop since crossing the Appalachians.

echelon_john
06-19-2013, 11:50 AM
I rode across the country on a Cannondale mountain bike. Boy, was I young and dumb. Actually, it worked out great; I think I got one flat in the entire trip, and didn't have to true my wheels.

If I were to do it again as a 40-something, I'd definitely do a touring bike for the higher front end and multiple hand positions.

I would echo the suggestion of a LHT if this is a one-off trip. Just make sure you build some solid wheels; velocity Dyad rims work super well for loaded touring.

PaMtbRider
06-19-2013, 12:06 PM
What type of touring are we talking about? Credit card touring with a sag vehicle, self-supported staying in motels, or packing a tent / stove and being fully self supported. FWIW, I rode self supported cross country in 1983 on a used Schwinn Superior that cost less than I spent on my last pair of pedals.

MattTuck
06-19-2013, 12:09 PM
What type of touring are we talking about? Credit card touring with a sag vehicle, self-supported staying in motels, or packing a tent / stove and being fully self supported. FWIW, I rode self supported cross country in 1983 on a used Schwinn Superior that cost less than I spent on my last pair of pedals.

I'd expect to be fully self-supported. Probably camping 75% of the time. Maybe staying in a motel every 4th night. Budget during the trip will be partly determined by how much I spend on gear and equipment...

christian
06-19-2013, 12:20 PM
It is tough to get a load under 45 pounds if you camp and easy to get up to 65 pounds with food (not counting racks). A light bike would handle like crap under that load.
Are you counting the bike and racks in that number? My backpacking/bike touring baseweight is about 22 lbs, plus whatever food I am going to carry. And that's living in luxury.

559Rando
06-19-2013, 12:24 PM
How about a trailer like a Bob or a Burley Travoy:

http://www.bobgear.com/uploads/products/images/yak-132.jpg
http://www.burley.com/shop/images/travoy_large_online.jpg

gdw
06-19-2013, 12:34 PM
I have a lot of contact with people planning extended bike trips and always advise them to make a list of the items they intend to carry, weigh them, and then lay the lot out on the floor so they can see how bulky the items are. Try it. I bet you'll find a touring bike with racks and panniers will be the best choice for the type of adventure you're planning.

PJN
06-19-2013, 12:40 PM
The Trek 520 is 50x the bike of the LHT. Bonus points if you find an mid/late 90s American made OX Platinum one on craigslist.

If not get a Bruce Gordon Taiwanese made BLT.

I don't like the LHTs... I've done lots of touring too. Longest trip was ten weeks.

rphetteplace
06-19-2013, 12:41 PM
page and a half and nobody has BG BLT yet????????

Bradford
06-19-2013, 12:48 PM
Are you counting the bike and racks in that number? My backpacking/bike touring baseweight is about 22 lbs, plus whatever food I am going to carry. And that's living in luxury.

No, just bags and luggage, but including food. When I first weighed my bags, I was surprised how much food weighed. I also carry more spare parts and tools than most people because my fat behind breaks bikes.

My tent is about 3 pounds heavier than an equivalent modern tent would be (I bought mine in 1996) and I could get a lighter stove too. Past that, I'm sure that I could go lighter, maybe 20% or so, but I really like the luxury of the right clothes or good food on a ride.

By the way, I'm going to pick up a bikepacking seat bag for the Copper triangle this year to see how it works. Not only will it weigh less than my rack alone, not to mention rack and rack trunk, but it will allow me to take the Legend, which is a much lighter bike. I hear good things about them and look forward to seeing how they ride.

bart998
06-19-2013, 12:50 PM
I'm planning a similar trip in a couple of years. I've bought a Ti touring frame like this:

https://www.lynskeyperformance.com/store/road/bikes-and-frames/touring-commuting/backroad-models.html

And am collecting the other gear. Since I plan on being in the middle of nowhere a lot, I intend to be prepared. Wheels especially should be durable.

BobbyJones
06-19-2013, 12:59 PM
The more stuff you carry, the more you have to carry to support your stuff.

With a bit of sarcasm I can't help but wonder if your sidewall wouldn't have split with 40 less pounds on it.:)

Seriously though- I went from about 34 lbs of "extra weight" on the bike down to about 14 lbs. A few fairly inexpensive upgrades in equipment and a checklist of what I never used were all it took. Its a MUCH more enjoyable riding experience as well

I've never gone past 5 days, but I'm sure my packing list would be similar crossing the US if I was sticking *mostly* to roads.

To each their own- I suppose I'm about the riding part vs. the "touring" experience

Granted, self sufficiency is a big deal to me, but I wouldn't go out with this approach. Most people tour in out of the way places because that's where the cool rides are. Going across country, there are plenty of places that are off the beaten path.

I'm also don't like the lightweight approach. I prefer a little extra room in my tent and full cookware. It is tough to get a load under 45 pounds if you camp and easy to get up to 65 pounds with food (not counting racks). A light bike would handle like crap under that load.

In addition, the cell phone plan is a bad plan. Cross country means A) you will be out of cell phone range, and B) you don't know anybody to call. In addition, it is kind of a big deal to ride every mile in the trip. Hitchhiking to the nearest town could be a long way. You don't want to remember the time you rode almost all the way across the country.

As an example, I once split a tire sidewall on Togwotee pass. I was over 100 miles from the nearest bike shop with a replacement. You don't want bike problems, and if you have them, you need to be able to fix them yourself. (I had a spare folding tire and was back on the road in 10 minutes).

Bradford
06-19-2013, 01:24 PM
The more stuff you carry, the more you have to carry to support your stuff.

With a bit of sarcasm I can't help but wonder if your sidewall wouldn't have split with 40 less pounds on it.:)

Wouldn't of helped...I hit big rock on the side of the road. After about 8 hours of riding, I misjudged where the rock was.

I'm at 14 pounds just with a tent and cookware. I'm over 14 pounds of food and water on most days. Probably at 8-9 pounds for four panniers (empty). Sleeping bag, pad, toiletries, stove fuel, camping gear...more. Tools and spare parts...more. That's before two sets of bike clothes in addition to what I'm wearing, foul weather clothes, arm and leg warmers, one set of off the bike clothes, off the bike shoes, maps, a book to read at night. I can't see 14 pounds for any long trip.

When I've toured with someone else and can split the common stuff, it's pretty easy to get it down to 45 pounds. If I replaced my old stuff--tent, stove, stuff sacks, etc.-- with modern stuff, maybe I can get it down to 35. But no way I could be out for 3 weeks, or 3 months, with 14 pounds.

Now, what would help is 40 pounds less fat on my body.

J.Greene
06-19-2013, 02:13 PM
I'd expect to be fully self-supported. Probably camping 75% of the time. Maybe staying in a motel every 4th night. Budget during the trip will be partly determined by how much I spend on gear and equipment...

that's how I want to do it some day. I'll make my own frame for obvious reasons but it's really hard to beat a LHT trucker for this application. Surly has it pretty dialed, unless you just want something special and built for you. I think saving some money with the LHT is smart because you can use those funds towards nicer paniers and racks.

likebikes
06-19-2013, 05:49 PM
buy a new surly lht.

if you don't want it/don't have any use for it when you're done, sell it, you'll probably get like 75%+ of the original price back.

palincss
06-19-2013, 06:34 PM

Could you explain to me in what way a loaded touring bike is not a "traditional" bike?

palincss
06-19-2013, 06:38 PM

Then you are clearly in loaded touring territory. Compared to the total a trip like that will cost, the cost of even a top shelf touring bike will be minor. Consider in addition to the LHT one of Bruce Gordon's touring bikes, either the BLT or the Rock 'n Road Tour.

BobbyJones
06-19-2013, 07:19 PM
I was being generic.

Much in the same way bikes are categorized (even around here there are special D2R2 bikes, never to be ridden except at that event!) I was referring to your "run of the mill" roadbike. Much like if you were to walk into your LBS and ask for a "ya know, a regular road bike".

Bad choice of words to use "traditional". I should have stated "...in most places you maybe better off with a lighter, sportier bike not specifically built and assembled for fully loaded touring"

Better?

Could you explain to me in what way a loaded touring bike is not a "traditional" bike?

Sheldon4209
06-19-2013, 08:05 PM
With their tandem experience, Co-Motion touring bikes are built for the job. The Americano uses a dishless, symmetrically laced tandem rear wheel with a 145mm axle. The frame is large diameter Reynolds 725 with fittings for 3 bottles and front and rear racks.

Wilkinson4
06-19-2013, 09:37 PM

10 yeas ago (Has it been that long?) I took off on a 45 day solo trip around the country. Mostly Lewis and Clark stuff.

Anyway, it depends on what you mean by fully loaded. I got by on my Rivendell Rambo and packed fairly light and could go lighter. Total bike was about 50lb, a saddle bag a and handlebar bag did the trick. I would recommend packing like you are going on a 3-4 day trip. I shipped a lot of stuff home during my trip.

But, I didn't cook. I ate at whatever stop I had, diners, Sonic, whatever. Would stop at stores and pick up snacks, got a hotel every 4th to 5th day.

A couple of things to consider.

1. Use SPD sandals, you can wear them anywhere.
2. A bivy can really lighten the load, but there are some light 1 person tents.
3. Have a good mattress pad, big agnes is good.
4. Never let an opportunity to drink, pee or poop pass you by.
5. Go early, not in the heat of summer. Or late...

It depends on where you are. I was in some pretty sparse areas and on the rd when it was 108 out some days!

The next year I did a leg of the baseball tour Charlie Hamilton did. We covered less miles but with a partner it really makes it go by.

Maybe look at Adventure Cycling for a touring partner.?..

Mike

Bikerist
06-19-2013, 10:11 PM
I've been thinking more about riding across America lately (the desire seems to ebb and flow, but is always there at a base level), and I'm trying to roughly think about the costs/logistics needed to make it happen.

I know fully loaded touring takes a toll on bikes but I'm wondering what bike/frame options there might be for someone who is not particularly interested in touring other than this trip. Would it be best to just buy a touring frame for the trip and sell it afterward?

If you are serious about this endeavor this is not the question to start with.

palincss
06-20-2013, 06:19 AM
I was being generic.

Much in the same way bikes are categorized (even around here there are special D2R2 bikes, never to be ridden except at that event!) I was referring to your "run of the mill" roadbike. Much like if you were to walk into your LBS and ask for a "ya know, a regular road bike".

Bad choice of words to use "traditional". I should have stated "...in most places you maybe better off with a lighter, sportier bike not specifically built and assembled for fully loaded touring"

Better?

Certainly clearer. In this case, however, I think quite wrong. There's simply no way you're going to load up a "regular road bike" with a camping load (as Matt has said he wants to do) of as much as 40 lb. and have performance even remotely comparable with a bike built for that purpose. Now unloaded, that's a different story.

J.Greene
06-20-2013, 06:51 AM
Certainly clearer. In this case, however, I think quite wrong. There's simply no way you're going to load up a "regular road bike" with a camping load (as Matt has said he wants to do) of as much as 40 lb. and have performance even remotely comparable with a bike built for that purpose. Now unloaded, that's a different story.

This ^ is right, but its not just about weight, its about where its located. Many of us could reduce our own load by 40 lbs and it wouldn't make a bike more suitable for long distance touring. One of the biggest advantages of a touring bike is the long Chainstays to keep the ankles from hitting the rear panniers and and a long front center to allow large tires and fenders. Those are features you'd want doing a transam but no so much on a more sporty bike. Which gets to the previous point that touring bikes aren't much fun to ride without a distributed load. To borrow some words from another framebuilder, "putting the wheels in the right place" means different things on different bikes. I've used my cross bike on a 7 day tour and the short comings were noticeable and manageable, but far from ideal. To go from sea to sea, I'd rather have a bike built for that.

AngryScientist
06-20-2013, 07:11 AM
i've thought about this a million times myself. always some desire to go adventuring. across the country on a bicycle is a grand adventure, i surely will do it at some point in my life, but the time to do so is hard to come by. the reality is i will never find the time, i will have to make the time.

anyway the bike. the truth is that a touring bike should be pretty darn cheap to build for what you want to do. what would i do?

start with one of the velo orange frames, or similar. $500 for a frameset. build my own wheels with 105 hubs and stout rims/spokes. disregard weight completely. buld the bike up with tried and true shimano parts. 9-speed. bar end shifters. campy ST alloy crankset. MKS pedals. vittoria rando tires. the luggage choices i would really have to ponder.

i figure the whole bike could be built easily for $1k, for a real purposeful rig.

the only cooking gear i would bring would be my titanium coffee mug, and my mini "beer can - penny" stove. you can run that stove on anything, including gasoline. titanium spork of course, and a way to make coffee. that's key.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-EwBoaeDJG1I/UFoFBepljaI/AAAAAAAAAzw/VcSdBN3i_Y4/s640/IMG_0172.JPG

moose8
06-20-2013, 07:25 AM
the only cooking gear i would bring would be my titanium coffee mug, and my mini "beer can - penny" stove. you can run that stove on anything, including gasoline. titanium spork of course, and a way to make coffee. that's key.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-EwBoaeDJG1I/UFoFBepljaI/AAAAAAAAAzw/VcSdBN3i_Y4/s640/IMG_0172.JPG

Of course it all comes down to personal preference, but my friend completed hiking the entire Pacific Crest Trail last fall, and he said in retrospect he would have ditched his stove like that and gotten a jetboil, as he said he would be super tired at the end of a day and that kind of stove was a little bit of a hassle compared to a jetboil. He also said he was amazed how long jetboil fuel canisters were lasting hikers. He did the whole thing with a beer can stove, though, so obviously it worked.

charliedid
06-20-2013, 07:27 AM
There are 'nicer' touring bikes out there, but it's really hard not to recommend a Trek 520.

Touring bikes are trucks not coffee shop conversation pieces.

Have fun!

BobbyJones
06-20-2013, 09:30 AM
Not wrong at all, you missed my point. With modern, lightweight equipment there's often not a reason to have 40 lbs of a camping load. No 40 lb load, no need for a purpose built bike.

When I first started I spent around $500 to buy 10+ lbs of racks and panniers. I should've spent that money right off the bat to buy lightweight camping equipment to adapt to my "regular road bike"

But hey, as I said before, to each their own.

AngryScientist
06-20-2013, 09:37 AM
But hey, as I said before, to each their own.

i agree. to me part of the fun of getting into touring is figuring out what works for me and what doesnt. that, of course highlights that a trip across the country as a first tour might not be the best idea, with untested gear and plans.

br995
06-20-2013, 09:53 AM
I did my first tour, of 17 days and 1050 miles, on a cross bike with rack mounts that I bought from a friend, in road shoes and Look pedals, and wearing full racing kit the entire time. To say I didn't really plan it out is an understatement.

I think you'll be able to make do with really just about whatever it is you choose to bring. One of the great things about not being experienced in something is that you don't know just how ****ty/poorly/unprepared you are doing it. I'm brought back to my first 50 mile ride (which was also my first 25+ mile ride), which I did on a brakeless fixed gear with no bottle cages, wearing jeans and a messenger bag riding out of Tokyo and back without a map and very rudimentary Japanese.... I would never do something like that nowadays.

Anyway, a purpose built bike will make things nicer, as will quality gear. But if what you have is good enough for an overnight, you'll make do with it fine for most of your ride I imagine. And if you start to hate it, you'll eventually find a shop where you can upgrade/swap things out. I'd always rather do it right the first time, and you can sell your gear after you come back if $$ is an issue, but if they rode penny-farthings cross country before roads were paved, you'll survive just fine on whatever it is you choose to use/bring.

J.Greene
06-20-2013, 10:11 AM
It's fun to go look what folks are using over at the crazyguyonabike site. I have tons of respect for the folks who dust off an old bike, attach cat litter boxes for panniers and set off. Last fall a guy tried to ride from St Augustine to San Diego on a $100 Walmart fixie. He didn't make it out of Florida before the tire came apart and the hub gave up before Austin where he himself gave up.

charliedid
06-20-2013, 10:57 AM
^^^ yep

One of my favorite customers works at the local library. In 1976 he rode coast to coast on a Raleigh 3 Spd bike. He still rides that bike to work every day even in winter!

It's not always the bike.

Kirk Pacenti
06-20-2013, 11:19 AM
My wife (then girlfriend) and I rode across country together in 1997 on custom touring bikes I built specifically for the trip. We were completely self supported, and camped 6 days out of 7. We carried all the gear we needed w/ panniers; tried a Bob Trailer previously and really didn't like it. Had I needed to buy bikes for us, there would have only been one (maybe 2) choice(s) in my opinion, and that would have been a Bruce Gordon "Rock n' Road" (http://www.bgcycles.com/rocknroad.html) or a "BLT" (http://www.bgcycles.com/blt.html).

Fwiw, I could not recommend the trip more highly. It was a really great experience and one I would like to repeat. In fact, I plan on doing the "Ride the Divide" route sometime in the next few years.

Get the Adventure Cycling maps for sure. If you have any questions, I would be happy to assist in anyway I can.

oliver1850
06-20-2013, 11:19 AM
It's fun to go look what folks are using over at the crazyguyonabike site. I have tons of respect for the folks who dust off an old bike, attach cat litter boxes for panniers and set off. Last fall a guy tried to ride from St Augustine to San Diego on a $100 Walmart fixie. He didn't make it out of Florida before the tire came apart and the hub gave up before Austin where he himself gave up.

I had 3 tourists stay overnight here in March. One was riding a $75 craigslist bike with a milk crate on the rack and lots of other things strapped on, pulling a trailer. He had more or less standard road gearing with a 42 small ring, and they were headed for the Ozarks. I gave him a new triple crank and installed it the morning they left. I just got a postcard from them saying they were in New Orleans, waiting on a new wheel to be built, heading to the East Coast from there.

My last visitor had 60 lbs on his rear rack with most of the weight up high. Standard road bike, caliper brakes, 25c tires, no front rack. He's in South Dakota now, headed for the Rockies. I hope he can handle the descents.

Not the way I'd want to tour.

climbgdh
06-20-2013, 11:31 AM
speaking from experience i'd get a dedicated touring bike if i ever did a cross country journey again. 19 years ago (is it really that long??!!), i rode across canada on a mtn bike that i added racks to and slicks. i was completely self supported other than a few hotels stops when my gear was just too wet to deal with. on the mtn bike i had to use p-clamps for the racks and they constantly loosened. i knew very little about proper fit on a bike at that time and i'm sure i would have been way more comfortable on something built for touring. regardless it was a grand adventure for 37 days of only worrying about riding, eating (ALOT) and sleeping (sometimes in a ditch :)). enjoy.

fiamme red
06-20-2013, 11:35 AM
In 1976, many young people rode across country on Bikecentennial with regular bikes, cheap racks, and AYH panniers, wearing t-shirts and gym shorts, and they had the time of their lives.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/bikecentennial/pool/

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8237/8473645884_c00fc23502_b.jpg

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6040/6328180155_dae9aa20de_b.jpg

MattTuck
06-20-2013, 11:37 AM
i agree. to me part of the fun of getting into touring is figuring out what works for me and what doesnt. that, of course highlights that a trip across the country as a first tour might not be the best idea, with untested gear and plans.

I've done a lot of backpacking, camping in wilderness areas, etc. To me, the aspect that is most attractive (aside from the big adventure and accomplishment) is that a loaded bike seems much more fun than a loaded backpack.

I'd do various shakedown tours of a few days to get the kinks worked out.

I had thought that maybe a cyclocross bike with a rack would be effective, but really it sounds like a proper touring bike is going to provide the best chances for success.

charliedid
06-20-2013, 11:38 AM
My wife (then girlfriend) and I rode across country together in 1997 on custom touring bikes I built specifically for the trip. We were completely self supported, and camped 6 days out of 7. We carried all the gear we needed w/ panniers; tried a Bob Trailer previously and really didn't like it. Had I needed to buy bikes for us, there would have only been one (maybe 2) choice(s) in my opinion, and that would have been a Bruce Gordon "Rock n' Road" (http://www.bgcycles.com/rocknroad.html) or a "BLT" (http://www.bgcycles.com/blt.html).

Fwiw, I could not recommend the trip more highly. It was a really great experience and one I would like to repeat. In fact, I plan on doing the "Ride the Divide" route sometime in the next few years.

Get the Adventure Cycling maps for sure. If you have any questions, I would be happy to assist in anyway I can.

Yes indeed Kirk,

My wife actually rides a BLT. I have a hard time suggesting them now because Bruce only has a few left and is not having them built again as far as I understand.

Now having him build one is another story and a great idea if the money is there.

br995
06-20-2013, 11:40 AM
I had thought that maybe a cyclocross bike with a rack would be effective, but really it sounds like a proper touring bike is going to provide the least chance of problems.

FTFY. A cross bike with racks will work just fine. Whether it will work as well as a dedicated touring bike... probably not. But it'll work just fine. I did my tour on 23c tires because I didn't know any better. I got 0 flats and had 0 issues over the 1000+ miles, but that may have been dumb luck and it probably would have been a lot more comfortable on 28s+.

I really don't think you need to fret too much about having the 'perfect' bike/gear for this. But if you're getting a new bike for the ride anyway, might as well get a touring-specific one.

charliedid
06-20-2013, 11:51 AM
[QUOTE=fiamme red;1370566]In 1976, many young people rode across country on Bikecentennial with regular bikes, cheap racks, and AYH panniers, wearing t-shirts and gym shorts, and and they had the time of their lives.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/bikecentennial/pool/

So true!

I rode around Lake Michigan that summer on a bike 2 sizes too big with a few t- shirts and a pair of cool gear wool shorts.

Best Summer Ever!

AngryScientist
06-20-2013, 11:56 AM
In 1976,...

great pics!

christian
06-20-2013, 11:57 AM
If I were going cross country today, I'd buy a BLT, because I'm cash-rich and time-poor and that's a bike that would just flat work.

But I've ridden across southern India on a Hero Jet one-speed, too, so really, it's mostly about pointing the front wheel in the right direction(ish) and turning the pedals.

The one type of bike I probably wouldn't take cross country is a lightweight road bike intended for racing. I love a Jobst-style tour (favorite vacation type), but that's a different usage envelope from fully-loaded touring.

christian
06-20-2013, 11:59 AM
a loaded bike seems much more fun than a loaded backpack.This is why, when you have 2 pre-schoolers, canoe camping in the Boundary Waters and Dacks is better than backpacking. Because even though the portages can be cumbersome, there's almost no limit to how much crap you can bring in a canoe!

fiamme red
06-20-2013, 12:18 PM
If I were going cross country today, I'd buy a BLT, because I'm cash-rich and time-poor and that's a bike that would just flat work.You don't actually need to be cash-rich to buy a BLT. They are on sale for $750, including frame, fork, stem, and racks. Fully equipped bikes are $1,725.

http://brucegordoncycles.bigcartel.com/product/the-basic-loaded-touring-bicycle

I'm seriously tempted to get a BLT while they are still available, although I already have a Schwinn Le Tour Luxe that is a capable touring bike.

J.Greene
06-20-2013, 01:08 PM
In fact, I plan on doing the "Ride the Divide" route sometime in the next few years.

my bro and I are doing 1000 or so miles of the route next summer and maybe I'll get another 1000 the following summer. we plan on packing light.

charliedid
06-20-2013, 01:27 PM
You don't actually need to be cash-rich to buy a BLT. They are on sale for $750, including frame, fork, stem, and racks. Fully equipped bikes are $1,725.

http://brucegordoncycles.bigcartel.com/product/the-basic-loaded-touring-bicycle

I'm seriously tempted to get a BLT while they are still available, although I already have a Schwinn Le Tour Luxe that is a capable touring bike.

Check sizes first...

fiamme red
06-20-2013, 01:53 PM
Check sizes first...My touring bike has a 57cm top tube, so the 52cm BLT would probably work for me.

"Size 52: 58.3cm Effective seat tube, 57.4cm effective top tube. This would make our 52 similar to most 57-58cm or size large road bikes."

palincss
06-20-2013, 02:05 PM
In 1976, many young people rode across country on Bikecentennial with regular bikes, cheap racks, and AYH panniers, wearing t-shirts and gym shorts, and they had the time of their lives.

But let's not forget, the "regular bike" of 1976 was a far cry from what's called a "road bike" today. The "regular bike" of the day was a "sport touring" bike which today we would consider a "light touring" bike, and it took 32mm tires and had room for fenders. (For that matter, even some of the pro racing bikes had room for 28mm tires and fenders.)

And also let's not forget, when you are young you tolerate discomfort a lot more easily than when you're older.

palincss
06-20-2013, 02:11 PM
Check sizes first...

Check them carefully, too. The BLT/Rock 'n Road Tour does not fit like a horizontal top tube road bike. This design was the first 29er and can double as a mountain bike, and it's sized to provide ample standover clearance for that role. My normal bikes are 59 and 60 mm frames; my Rock 'n Road Tour was (I think - it's been a while now since I sold it) a 54 or 56. Bruce can give you guidance.

Louis
06-20-2013, 02:47 PM
Anything's possible, and it's all been done before - guys have crossed the country on penny-farthings, and guys have crossed the country on full-race bikes. However, that doesn't mean you should try on bike that's not the right tool for the job.

Given how many hours you're going to spend on the thing I would not try to scrimp and save on the bike, nor would I try to be a hero on the drivetrain. A triple crank and an 11-32 or even 11-34 cassette would be my choices. Your knees and legs will thank you.

As you said, I'd do some practice fully self-supported touring first before launching the Great Adventure.

Good Luck

PS If I were to try something this long I'd wimp out and do it on a tour where you're supported by a van and you get to take a long shower at the end of every day and sleep in a comfy bed in a climate-controlled hotel room. I'd consider a self-supported tour of one or two weeks, but IMO a cross-country is just too long to have to haul all your stuff yourself. I know, I'm not a hard-man, but that's OK with me.

charliedid
06-20-2013, 08:20 PM
My touring bike has a 57cm top tube, so the 52cm BLT would probably work for me.

"Size 52: 58.3cm Effective seat tube, 57.4cm effective top tube. This would make our 52 similar to most 57-58cm or size large road bikes."

Lucky you!

I would have bought one a year and a half ago if he had my size. I ride my wife's around once in a while, it rides great...

bigman
06-20-2013, 08:45 PM
If you can find one a Trek 720 is the way to go - mid 80's. Build it up with modern stuff and it may just become your go to rig.