PDA

View Full Version : Cross frames on a budget.

William
12-13-2005, 06:01 AM
After watching the Cross Nats this weekend, I have the itch bad to get back into racing and try the cross circut out next season. I've raced BMX in my youth and road in College and after, but had never given cross a thought until watching the pain & fun evryone was having. I'm going to be entering this on a budget and will have to find a frame that is too small for me since they don't make stockers in my size (and I don't have the cycling budget to go custom right now).
So far the largest stock frames I can find that have 62+cm ST's and have at least a 60cm TT's are the Surly Cross Check, Kona-Jake The Snake, Fort, and possibly Redline. If any one knows of any other makers that have at least a 62+ ST Cross frame with 60+ TT, please throw me a name to look into. Or, if there are any big riders that have a large cross frame to sell at a bargin price ;) ... please let me know.

Thanks,
William

JeffreyG
12-13-2005, 06:44 AM
Can't get mor budget than this.

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?category=130&subcategory=1176&brand=&sku=15767&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Roy E. Munson
12-13-2005, 06:51 AM
William,

How tall are you?

William
12-13-2005, 07:07 AM
William,

How tall are you?

Hey Roy,

Just over 6' 6" tall.

Can't get mor budget than this.

Thanks Jeff, though doesn't quite make the size bar.

William

Roy E. Munson
12-13-2005, 07:20 AM
On Trebon and Wicks, from cyclingnews:

These two riders present an interesting challenge for Kona engineers, one that any tall cyclist knows well; traditional bikes are not designed around riders well over six feet tall. Trebon is six feet five and Wicks six feet four. Both their 'cross and mountain bikes had to be custom made (63cm 'cross frames and 23" mountain-bikes). Even with the super-tall frames, the pair still runs six inches or more of seat post above the seat tube.

Bruce K
12-13-2005, 07:24 AM
William,

For a few bucks more than the Nashbar no-name you can get a Redline Conquest Pro.

A HUGE step up for about $350.00 vs $220.00

Look at www.cyclocrossworld.com for possible year-end deals over the next couple of weeks.

There might be some good buys on last year's Ridley and Empella stuff, but they still won't be budget frames.

BK

DfCas
12-13-2005, 07:58 AM
http://somafab.com/geometry03.html

They list a 62 with a 61+ TT.

dan

Argos
12-13-2005, 08:34 AM
Along with what these fine gents are saying, I would lean towards the Aluminum rather then the steel. At this price point, it's cheap stuff all around, and I would think, maybe one of you tall fella's can back me up, it would be flexy at such a large size, no?

I just mean that I'd imagine it to be more flexy, being, you know, longer levers (tubes) etc, and you would want to get stiffness in your frame for better Power transfer.

My old shop helped convert a trek 7500 hybrid Frame to Cross. It used to be the same frame they use for their XO-1, but the size offerings are different between the two. Anyway, he was tall like you, stratospheric really, and the 25" frame did well by him. Ok, just looked at the website, that is a 63.5 c-t-t ST, and a 58 and change TT, so maybe not.

But it may be worth looking into other areas to get the frame (ie, hybrid ranges)

inGobwetrust
12-13-2005, 08:39 AM
http://cgi.ebay.com/Guerciotti-Cyclocross-Frameset-BRAND-NEW-cross-bike_W0QQitemZ7203239656QQcategoryZ98084QQssPageNa meZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://cgi.ebay.com/61cm-Trek-X01-Cyclocross-Frame-Fork-NO-RESERVE_W0QQitemZ7204116950QQcategoryZ98084QQssPag eNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

William
12-13-2005, 12:36 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll let you know what I turn up.

BTW, what are your thoughts on converting a MTB to drop bars and running it? I suppose if the triangle isn't big enough it could be a pain to shoulder though.

William

72gmc
12-13-2005, 02:13 PM
http://somafab.com/geometry03.html

They list a 62 with a 61+ TT.

dan

I ride their Double Cross as a commuter/do-it-all bike and it's a nice ride. Their steel fork may be too flexy for a larger racer (I'm 6'1" and 170 lbs) but combined with the long-legged frame it really soaks up lousy or unpaved roads. I ride a 58 st because their top tubes are long; it's a semi-sloping frame so the 62 st should be pretty big. A good choice if you want steel and you want affordable.

coylifut
12-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks for the tips everyone. I'll let you know what I turn up.

BTW, what are your thoughts on converting a MTB to drop bars and running it? I suppose if the triangle isn't big enough it could be a pain to shoulder though.

William

I did that once and it road like crap. the drop bars offer no advantage. if you have a mtb and want to race cross, my all means do. I wouldn't spend any money on it to make a franken-cross.

Cannondale makes a cross frame with a 60 cm top tube. Here's an ad for a used one. It seems as just about any frame is going to be a compact for you. Unfortunatley, this one is disc brake compatable only. It's going to be hard for you to ride a stock frame. It must be hard for you to find clothes.

I thought the Kona bikes that Wicks and Trebon rode were a custom size. I could find out for you. I see Erik Tonkin once a week or so and could ask him. One thing you could do is contact the team manager for Kona and let him know that due to your size, you'd be interested in buying any bikes that Wicks and Trebon get rid of. Last year, Trebon sold two of his on our list serve. These were pro level equiped bikes and they went for around 1k. The down side is that these are Scandium bikes and they might crumble underneath you violently. Maybe they have some training frames in 7005.

http://classifieds.mtbr.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.pl?db=Road&website=RoadbikeReview&language=&session_key=&search_and_display_db_button=on&results_format=long&db_id=56764&query=retrieval

beungood
12-14-2005, 06:58 PM
Hey big guy ,what about all the low hanging branches? :crap:

shinomaster
12-14-2005, 07:03 PM
William...I got the bug to race cross after watching natinals here in POrtland two years ago...
My brother really liked his cannondale cross frame...but hates his Fuji.