PDA

View Full Version : WSJ: Hey Riders, Runners: Do You Wave?

Tony T
06-18-2013, 07:04 AM
Hey Riders, Runners: Do You Wave? (http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424127887323566804578551733633353690.html?m od=WSJ_hps_MIDDLE_Video_second)
http://si.wsj.net/public/resources/images/PJ-BO893_SP_GAY_G_20130617192519.jpg

This is a column about waving. Specifically: waving hello while riding a bicycle, or going for a run. We are approaching peak season for recreational cycling and running—if you do these things all year, you may be astonished by all the newcomers out there, filling the roadways, adopting the habit, desperate to burn off the lobster rolls and margaritas—and no matter where you live, you are going to encounter someone cycling or running toward you in the opposite direction.
If you wave, it doesn't have to be a giant, exaggerated wave, like you're Jim Carrey saying goodbye to all the giraffes at a zoo. Just a quick gesture of recognition and done. I don't consider this a rule. I just like to wave.
Taylor Phinney said that he waves "at everybody."
It's been proven in numerous academic studies that cyclists and runners who fail to return waves have shorter life spans, sadder weekends, and terrible taste in music. On the Internet you can find many message boards devoted to the wave question, an evergreen topic that never really goes away

layneo59
06-18-2013, 08:28 AM
Yes I do. I believe all riders and runners should do this.

Elefantino
06-18-2013, 09:09 AM
Peace sign. Always.

Climb01742
06-18-2013, 09:16 AM
Try to always wave or say hi to riders or runners. i also wave or say thanks to cars or people that let me turn or do whatever that makes my ride safer. theres so much anger out on the road, i try to make a small difference by acknowledging kind people.

David Kirk
06-18-2013, 09:30 AM
Try to always wave or say hi to riders or runners. i also wave or say thanks to cars or people that let me turn or do whatever that makes my ride safer. theres so much anger out on the road, i try to make a small difference by acknowledging kind people.

I do the same thing - if a driver goes out of their way to give me some room I make sure that I let them know I appreciate it.

I also wave to everyone, rider or runner, I see on the road. As has been discussed a number of times here it can be disappointing how many folks choose to not wave and instead have their game face on. As much as I find this frustrating I feel bad for them at the same time.

So like Climb I do what I can to share some love out there - life is too short not to.

Dave

bambam
06-18-2013, 09:37 AM
I either wave,say hi, ring a bell to most people on foot, bike, motorcycle , polite autos and even impolite autos.:)

A lot of returns as well. Most notable exceptions are: Tri people and Suits that ride Harleys.

J.Greene
When I was bike commuting I said good morning to everyone I passed. I can ride a trail to within two miles of my office. Lots of joggers and other commuters. It became such a habit I would catch myself saying it in the afternoons too.

Bradford
Yes, unless I'm going downhill over 35 MPH, then I keep my hands on the bars and left up the fingers on my left hand.

EDS
06-18-2013, 09:40 AM
I don't wave to everyone - would be very hard on a nice weekend ride around these parts given the sheer volume of cyclists (on 9W for example) - but generally wave or say hi to most other cyclists when not cross eyed from an interval or othewise needing to stay focused on the task at hand.

mvrider
06-18-2013, 09:52 AM
Amusing, well-written column.

I am pro-wave, but a little shy sometimes around these testosterone-filled roads. Also, much of the riding in my area is hills, so the folks you'd wave at are either screaming down the hill, or you're screaming down past them.

ctcyclistbob
06-18-2013, 10:45 AM
I do the same thing - if a driver goes out of their way to give me some room I make sure that I let them know I appreciate it.

I also wave to everyone, rider or runner, I see on the road. As has been discussed a number of times here it can be disappointing how many folks choose to not wave and instead have their game face on. As much as I find this frustrating I feel bad for them at the same time.

So like Climb I do what I can to share some love out there - life is too short not to.

Dave

Well said ... I also wave to cyclists and runners, and give a think you wave to considerate drivers. It never hurts to spread goodwill.

weiwentg
06-18-2013, 10:48 AM
Fellow athletes deserve a grim nod at the very least.

ClutchCargo
06-18-2013, 02:57 PM

Dave

Exactly what I woulda said, Dave. I have to believe, especially, that a friendly wave or thumbs up and nod of the head to a friendly motorist when they've waited patiently to pass and/or have given you a very wide berth, is positive reinforcement.

That said, the illustration to Gay's article was amusingly spot on. The overweight "mamil" with the big wave and huge smile aimed at the oncoming fit chick cyclist (although gender determination here is kinda hard to tell with certainty) who, not only will not wave but, with gaze locked straight ahead, refuses to acknowledge his presence. That scene has to be played out in Central Park about a thousand times a week.

layneo59
06-18-2013, 03:37 PM
Also--don't forget to ask riders on the side of the road if they need any help. It's amazing how many cyclists ride nice bikes but don't know how to change a tire. Help about 2-3 people each summer just doing that. When I ask them about learning how to do this, most say they carry a cell phone and just call someone to pick them up!

BumbleBeeDave
06-18-2013, 03:46 PM
. . . to other cyclists. If they don't return it I turn round, chase them down, and beat them mercilessly with my mini-pump. ;)

BBD

bluesea
06-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Wave and smile to normal cyclists, a knowing scowl to my peers. :banana:

rice rocket
06-18-2013, 04:04 PM
Runners always look like they're in the hurt locker and never wave, so I don't even bother.

wc1934
06-18-2013, 06:49 PM
If they (runners, walkers, pedestrians, drivers, cyclists etc) can see me, I can see them - So I always acknowledge them with a wave, nod or hello.

SpokeValley
06-18-2013, 06:53 PM
I wave to everyone and say 'hi' to people just chatting in their yards, or wherever I'm passing through.

Trying to show that we're not just a wild bunch of 'bikers' that dress funny...

Puget Pounder
06-18-2013, 07:01 PM
I do intermittently. Too many people on the Burke sometimes...

When I run, I almost never do. It's much more awkward.

victoryfactory
06-19-2013, 04:39 AM
But what about groups?
Do you keep waving as 30 riders pass?
Do you wave at the first rider? Every 5th rider?
Do you just keep a stupid grin on as they all pass?
ediquite is tough. The iPhone doesn't even know how to spell it.

"I always wave to the ladies"
- Barry White

559Rando
06-19-2013, 10:25 AM
I smile, nod, wave and/or verbally greet them.

And 99% of the time, I stop to help or check on someone with a flat or other mechanical problem.

Cycling's a small world.

weiwentg
06-19-2013, 10:50 AM
But what about groups?
Do you keep waving as 30 riders pass?
Do you wave at the first rider? Every 5th rider?
Do you just keep a stupid grin on as they all pass?
ediquite is tough. The iPhone doesn't even know how to spell it.

"I always wave to the ladies"
- Barry White

grim nod to the first rider only.

OldCrank
06-19-2013, 11:43 AM
I notice some riders who looked like they were on their way back from an unsuccessful Time Trial wearing Dark Helmet helmets and sporting full name-brand race duds were the least likely to wave back, so I try to give them the good big&spastic Jim Carrey wave.

I turned down the volume on my Good Mornings to purse-dog walkers- those poor puppies levitate a few feet, then go crazy as I pass.

But yeah, at least a nod/quick wave.

Jaq
06-19-2013, 12:00 PM
Snot-rockets are the new wave.

Waldo
06-19-2013, 12:56 PM
I wave to all riders and don't like it when my waves are ignored. I especially like waving at police cars. I like to think that if I'm friendly to them and they're friendly back they won't ticket me for running a stop sign half a mile later.

Bikerist
06-19-2013, 02:02 PM
Always wave/nod to riders going th eopposite direction. I try my best to orally engage riders going in the same direction and our riding group even has buisness cards that we hand out to riders that are going close to our same speed.

Do not feel compelled to wave to runners or the Harley crowd.

Black Dog
06-19-2013, 06:32 PM
I want to know how Dave got into my head and stole my words before I could even think them or write them down. Why not make the world a better place and why not enjoy what you are doing while riding a bike. Every time I ride with people that do not wave or do not get return waves from other riders I feel like a bit of our potential humanity is wasted. Life is too short and needs to be valued in the moment not after the moment is long gone.

Dave

Israelt
06-19-2013, 08:59 PM
I always wave or nod. If passing the other ride I give a verbal greeting such as "great day for a ride" or "good evening". It adds some civility to the roads

Dave Ferris
06-19-2013, 10:55 PM
Runners always look like they're in the hurt locker and never wave, so I don't even bother.

I'm an older (just turned 60 on 6/17) longtime runner (over 30 years and close to 65,000 miles) and reluctant cyclist second, but I always wave or say hey to a runner or road cyclist while running and on the bike. I'd say runners 95% of the time acknowledge other runners but if I'm running, a good 50% of roadies around here (narcissistic capitol of the world-LA) , don't return the greeting. If I'm on the bike, I'd say that percentage might go down to 30%.

Mountain bikers generally seem less snobby around LA....maybe because they're less stressed about dealing with the all f***ing cars around here. I know while I prefer a road bike to a mountain bike, because of the cars in LA, I prefer being on trails.
Basically i'd rather be running on the trails where everyone says hi to everyone else...generally speaking..;)

Bkat
06-20-2013, 09:02 AM
Always a nod to fellow cyclists, although some look at me like I'm a space alien for doing it. Runners not so much since most tend to be in their own little worlds.

I make a point to verbally greeting older riders (which, comparatively speaking, is a rapidly shrinking percentage of the population) mainly because riding around here can be a war zone at times (bikes v. runners v. walkers v. roller blades v. dogs off leashes, etc.) and I want them to feel welcome to share the road or path and not assume all kitted up riders are jerks.

weiwentg
06-20-2013, 12:17 PM
Always a nod to fellow cyclists, although some look at me like I'm a space alien for doing it. Runners not so much since most tend to be in their own little worlds.

I make a point to verbally greeting older riders (which, comparatively speaking, is a rapidly shrinking percentage of the population) mainly because riding around here can be a war zone at times (bikes v. runners v. walkers v. roller blades v. dogs off leashes, etc.) and I want them to feel welcome to share the road or path and not assume all kitted up riders are jerks.

if you want to make sure people know that all kitted up riders are not jerks, then why not spare a grim nod to the runners as well? I've had runners nod or grunt or grimace or whatever back at me. not as much when I'm running, admittedly.