PDA

View Full Version : sidi insoles

AngryScientist
06-18-2013, 06:11 AM
i've been happily wearing my sidi genius road shoes for quite a while, never a problem, but lately, when i'm in them for over 5ish hours, i start to get quite a bit of abrasion on the outside edges of my feet, when the insole edge meets the shoe "wall".

taking a closer look, which i've never really done before, the sidi insoles that come with the shoes look to be really crappy blue foam. less quality than i would have expected to be in a $200+ shoe.

so the deal is that i have pretty normal shoe needs, and the sidis have always been comfortable, can someone suggest a decent replacement insole to try? i feel that anything would be a step in the right direction than the oe blue foam thing?

thanks.

Tony T
06-18-2013, 06:37 AM
I tried these: http://www.superfeet.com/activity/cycling.aspx
Hated them, they now reside in the back of the closet.

AngryScientist
06-18-2013, 06:39 AM
I tried these: http://www.superfeet.com/activity/cycling.aspx
Hated them, they now reside in the back of the closet.

that's interesting. i have the green superfeet insoles in my work boots that i'm in for 12 - 16 hours a day sometimes and love them, i hadnt considered them for my cycling shoes, but maybe they would work. good thought!

Matt-H
06-18-2013, 06:52 AM
Just yesterday I threw those pos blue insoles out and replaced them with Specialized insoles. No riding on them yet but they feel much different in a good way.

Tony T
06-18-2013, 07:11 AM
It was the "Ramped/Elevated Heel" in the Yellow that I didn't like. "Blue" or "Black" might be better.

corky
06-18-2013, 07:19 AM
i love the Yellow..... different strokes....

RedRider
06-18-2013, 07:19 AM
For many people the thin blue Sidi insole is fine. For others, I've always used eSoles with much satisfaction. There are other good insoles on the market, chose for fit :) but remember there's a good chance you will need a different size shoe.

corky
06-18-2013, 07:21 AM
the newer ones in theSidi Wire are slightly more substantial than the blue.

cp43
06-18-2013, 07:26 AM
Just yesterday I threw those pos blue insoles out and replaced them with Specialized insoles. No riding on them yet but they feel much different in a good way.

I've put at least a thousand miles on my Sidi's with the specialized green insole (high arch support) and they're great. If you have normal arches, you'll want red or blue.

I've also used, with a bit less success in my Sidi's, Sole insoles. They're heat moldable, but they didn't support me in the right places.

Hope that helps.

Chris

christian
06-18-2013, 08:00 AM
I love my Sidi insoles. Replace them every five years or so.

AngryScientist
06-18-2013, 08:02 AM
I love my Sidi insoles. Replace them every five years or so.

the blue foam ones? really? they seem like almost an afterthought on an otherwise excellent shoe. gonna pick up some superfeet blacks after work today. pretty sure the dicks sporting goods near me has them.

Tony T
06-18-2013, 08:06 AM
the blue foam ones? really? they seem like almost an afterthought on an otherwise excellent shoe. gonna pick up some superfeet blacks after work today. pretty sure the dicks sporting goods near me has them.

Please report back. I hated the Yellow, but this discussion has me thinking of giving the Black or Blue Superfeet (or the Specialized) a try.

avalonracing
06-18-2013, 08:08 AM
I've been wearing Sidis since '91 and I think I have about seven pair of Sidis if you count my motorcycle boots. My trick?... I pull out the blue soles and put in plain old Dr Scholls heavy duty insoles. They are just flat, inexpensive, slightly padded insoles and they work great.

christian
06-18-2013, 08:09 AM
the blue foam ones? really? they seem like almost an afterthought on an otherwise excellent shoe.I'm confused. You said you were happy with your shoes for a long time, but now the insoles have worn. Who cares about the aesthetics of an insole or if they seem like an afterthought? So long as they work, which by my judgement they do. I wear my Sidis for 5-6 years each before they go in the spinning pile. I probably swap insoles once in that time. I'm ok with that.

christian
06-18-2013, 08:10 AM
Insole-swappers - please send your size 44/44.5 Sidi insoles to me! :)

Salsa_Lover
06-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Those blue insoles that come with new sidi shoes are just "placeholders".

You just throw them away and put in your custom orthotic corrected insoles.

Same goes for any high end sports shoes (tennis, football, ski boots etc )

That's why they are removable and not fixed like entry level or the "style" kind of sports shoes

thegunner
06-18-2013, 08:16 AM
fyi nick - i threw out my sidi insoles and replaced them with spec'd http://www.specialized.com/lb/en/ftr/shoes/equipsparepartsshoes/footbedbghighperformance

so much better.

JAGI410
06-18-2013, 08:23 AM
The blue Superfeet insoles are working great for me. Took a couple miles to get used to them, but now they are perfect.

PaMtbRider
06-18-2013, 08:36 AM
The Sidi insoles are very thin. I tried replacing them with generic Dr Scholl's gel insoles from the local drug store. They made the shoe fit way to tight.

Ti Designs
06-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Insole-swappers - please send your size 44/44.5 Sidi insoles to me! :)

That would be a truckload - I work as an insole swapper...

pinoymamba
06-18-2013, 08:55 AM
super feet black in my bont vaypors.

Bruce K
06-18-2013, 10:07 AM
Late to this one but Sorcusluzed BG insoles (whichever color you need) worked fine in my Sidis

BK

jtakeda
06-18-2013, 10:28 AM
Orange super feet for high arch for me.

I'm in my shoes for 12 hours a day and no problems.

Wayne77
06-18-2013, 11:11 AM
This is a timely thread for me. I was riding yesterday and noticed the same thing with my Sidi insoles...can't stand em anymore. But I have some Specialize insoles from some Specialized shoes that I can't wear due to their weird angular thingy with the base of the shoe. screws up my knees. Anyway, the insole is really nice and I'll try this as well.

I've heard some have gooten good results with insoles from track shoes (normal running shoe insoles are too thick)

staggerwing
06-18-2013, 11:17 AM
that's interesting. i have the green superfeet insoles in my work boots that i'm in for 12 - 16 hours a day sometimes and love them, i hadnt considered them for my cycling shoes, but maybe they would work. good thought!

As a first shot, pull 'em from your work boots, place them in your Sidi's, and go for a ride.

I've tried the Sole brand, and thought they were pretty decent, but have come around to liking the Superfeet Orange best.

pdmtong
06-18-2013, 11:42 AM
The thin blue sidi insoles are a throwaway. Christian is an outlier. Looks like he is about to receive a lifetime supply

Superfeet black is a bit too hard for me - makes the ball of my foot go numb if over 40+. Black is the one recommended for low volume applications (cycling)

Specialized blue is ok. Note they dont feel great walking but much better when riding.

Oddly some no-name brand "penguin" from REI works best for me.

The insole that came with my 2013 sidi wire is much improved over the blue throwaway. I may have to try it.

nightfend
06-18-2013, 02:03 PM
Giro makes the best insoles. Hard to find unless you buy their shoes. But they do sell them aftermarket.

572cv
06-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Giro makes the best insoles. Hard to find unless you buy their shoes. But they do sell them aftermarket.

Actually, there is a step way up from any of the Superfeet/Specialized/Giro etc. These are all good up to a point, but this, for the comfort level for a long, long ride, and the improved power is worth the not inexpensive fee. I did this in my Sidis. I cannot over emphasize what a difference this has made. Read the hype here:

http://fitwerx.com/fitting-services/cycling-footbeds

If you can find someone nearby doing this, you won't be sorry. Points of contact are the key locations: butt- hands- feet. A far more useful investment than a high end seatpost, imho.

ald
06-18-2013, 02:39 PM

If you already like the green ones, why not try the yellow Superfeet in your Sidis. They are relatively inexpensive and the have a 60 day comfort guarantee.

fwiw I switched my green ones to the orange ones, more padding = more comfort

crownjewelwl
06-18-2013, 02:53 PM
stock insoles for ALL shoes are crap.

i have the yellow superfeet in my road and mtb shoes (and running shoes)

Louis
06-18-2013, 02:58 PM
I'm in the same boat as Christian - even the thinnest Superfeet that I've found fill up my Sidis too much and feel funny. The default Sidi insoles are best options for me.

uber
06-18-2013, 03:02 PM
Another vote for Specialized insoles. Three choices for arch height. $30.
The Shoes fit more snug.

maunahaole
06-18-2013, 04:19 PM
I have had good luck with the eSoles. They come as a kit with different sized inserts for the arch and under the toes. The size 47 sole went into my size 47 sidis without any trimming.

wgp
06-18-2013, 04:56 PM
I'm in on the Specialized insoles also - tried Superfeet and another brand, but Specialized just work for me.

John M
06-18-2013, 07:15 PM
Another vote for the Specialized. Some of the other brands mentioned here are too much volume for me and change the fit too much, making a well fitting shoe tight.

Tony T
06-22-2013, 06:12 AM
Just gave the Specialized (Red) a try. Good fit in my Sidi's. Much better than the Superfeet Yellow.

Pars
06-22-2013, 09:42 AM
Do those of you using Specialized in your Sidis go to a Spec. dealer and get fitted for them, or just pick some?

binxnyrwarrsoul
06-22-2013, 09:47 AM
That would be a truckload - I work as an insole swapper...

I'll take half that truckload. Have used the OEM Sidi insoles for years, zero problems/issues.

Hindmost
06-22-2013, 11:37 AM
I have used Louis Gareau thermo cool insoles. Work very good for my flatish, thin (top to bottom) feet. Don't fill up the shoe; alter sizing only slightly. Snug up instep fit.

Hindmost
06-22-2013, 11:44 AM
Double post. Sorry

Tony T
06-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Do those of you using Specialized in your Sidis go to a Spec. dealer and get fitted for them, or just pick some?

I just ordered online (http://www.specialized.com/us/en/ftr/shoes/equipsparepartsshoes/body-geometry-high-performance-footbeds). Just trim to fit my Sidi.

AngryScientist
06-22-2013, 12:25 PM
I wound up with the super feet blacks. So far I like them a lot. I'm on the iPhone, but check my recent blog post for the pic.