PDA

View Full Version : Base training in warmer climates

floxy1
06-17-2013, 09:32 PM
So I just moved from IL to AZ and curious if there is a trend towards less formal 'base' training in warmer climates where riding is less influenced by weather?This seems to be the time of year here where guys would be resetting to base mode but the little experience I have so far it seems like that's not happening and guys are still riding hard. Whether you believe in the LSD concept it doesn't seem like it should vary by geography but curious others' thoughts.

shovelhd
06-17-2013, 09:35 PM
A lot of AZ guys race in southern CA this time of year.

Ralph
06-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Living in Florida, I ride about the same amount of miles each week, year around. I'm not racing, so my goals are mainly about health (and keeping up with younger guys). Trying for 6000 miles this year....have a bunch of retired friends who ride a lot more.

However....I would say that unexpected events do happen even in warm climates, that interrupt my riding. Vacations, being sick for a week or so, stuff like that. So do get to sorta start over and "build back" basic fitness once in a while. It's not just riding 365 days a year.

Lewis Moon
06-18-2013, 09:57 AM
So I just moved from IL to AZ and curious if there is a trend towards less formal 'base' training in warmer climates where riding is less influenced by weather?This seems to be the time of year here where guys would be resetting to base mode but the little experience I have so far it seems like that's not happening and guys are still riding hard. Whether you believe in the LSD concept it doesn't seem like it should vary by geography but curious others' thoughts.

What part of AZ are you riding in? Here in PHX, any organized group training ride I've ever been on, at any time of the year, has been a stone hammer fest. If you aren't puking, or making the other person puke, you obviously weren't riding hard enough.

Lewis Moon, Lord of the Flies Cycling Team.

floxy1
06-18-2013, 10:38 PM
What part of AZ are you riding in? Here in PHX, any organized group training ride I've ever been on, at any time of the year, has been a stone hammer fest. If you aren't puking, or making the other person puke, you obviously weren't riding hard enough.

Lewis Moon, Lord of the Flies Cycling Team.

This is exactly what I've experienced so far which prompted the question. I'm in Ahwatukee but did the West valley Sat ride a couple weeks ago. Was generally up towards the front but it was brutal for the 'off' season.