PDA

View Full Version : Good - Basic - Computer

crossjunkee
06-17-2013, 01:37 PM
It's been years since I've purchased a new bike computer for a road bike. Does anybody have a suggestion that will not break the bank? I use Strava on my iPhone most rides, but still want a basic computer. Wireless is the only feature I MUST have. I've had good luck with Vetta in the past, but just curious what everybody else uses.

Liv2RideHard
06-17-2013, 01:57 PM
Garmin Egde 200. I swore them off until my brother got the 200 and I saw how simple it was. Easy to set up and operate. Move it from bike to bike to bike...no hassles.

mcteague
06-17-2013, 01:59 PM
Cateye Strada Slim. No, that is not a poker or pool player!
All the basics, very slim and has a sensor that sits inside the fork leg so you really don't see it and has little chance of getting knocked out of place.

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/CC-RD310W/

http://www.cateye.com/images/product/8/928_img7.jpg
http://www.cateye.com/en/products/#

Tim

Likes2ridefar
06-17-2013, 02:06 PM
Garmin Egde 200. I swore them off until my brother got the 200 and I saw how simple it was. Easy to set up and operate. Move it from bike to bike to bike...no hassles.

agreed here. it seems faster than my 500 connecting to the GPS and does exactly what I want besides tell me the time.

WHY can't I see what time it is?:mad:

palincss
06-17-2013, 02:07 PM
Strada Wireless has the features I find useful: average, ODO, distance 1, distance 2, without a lot of the useless clutter-features you find on many computers these days.

AngryScientist
06-17-2013, 02:11 PM
agreed here. it seems faster than my 500 connecting to the GPS and does exactly what I want besides tell me the time.

agree 100%. glad i'm not the only one frustrated by that!

crossjunkee
06-17-2013, 02:11 PM
Cateye Strada Slim. No, that is not a poker or pool player!
HA!!!

The Cateye has my interest, thanks! No more zip ties for the fork mount, I love that!

Two problems with the Garmin: 1) not Mac compatible (I think, let me know if that is not the case)
2) Some of my longer rides are right at, or longer than 14 hours. I also don't want to worry about charging. It is a nice computer though.

Likes2ridefar
06-17-2013, 02:12 PM
HA!!!

The Cateye has my interest, thanks!

Two problems with the Garmin: 1) not Mac compatible (I think, let me know if that is not the case)
2) Some of my longer rides are right at, or longer than 14 hours. I also don't want to worry about charging. It is a nice computer though.

it's very much mac compatible. i wont promise it'll last you 14 hours but most people are reporting it lasts much longer than advertised. I just leave it plugged into the computer when I download the rides and it's charged full everytime I use it.

biker72
06-17-2013, 02:14 PM
Cateye Strada Wireless

Reliable and wont break the bank.

http://www.cateye.com/en/products/detail/CC-RD300W/

crossjunkee
06-17-2013, 02:19 PM
it's very much mac compatible.

Thanks!

One of my friends complained about his Garmin losing charge right before he finished the Triple Bypass last year. I'm not sure the model, or how old it was.

rustylion
06-17-2013, 03:01 PM
I used a 705 and now use a 800. But, my wife did not want the complexity. I got her a 200 and it is the perfect simple solution to all her needs. I would recommend it highly.

It's been years since I've purchased a new bike computer for a road bike. Does anybody have a suggestion that will not break the bank? I use Strava on my iPhone most rides, but still want a basic computer. Wireless is the only feature I MUST have. I've had good luck with Vetta in the past, but just curious what everybody else uses.

FlashUNC
06-17-2013, 03:03 PM
The 200 is a glorified wireless computer with limited GPS tracking. Would seem to scratch all those itches.

DfCas
06-17-2013, 03:39 PM
The altimeter is wildly innacurate on the Garmin 200, otherwise its a great piece without needless crap. I wish they would switch it to a barometric altimeter.

crossjunkee
06-18-2013, 02:20 PM
Cateye Strada Slim purchased, thanks for all the recommendations!

Liv2RideHard
06-18-2013, 02:54 PM
The altimeter is wildly innacurate on the Garmin 200, otherwise its a great piece without needless crap. I wish they would switch it to a barometric altimeter.

Download your ride to Garmin Connect and the "z" will be adjusted. If it had a barometric altimeter...it would not be roughly $125...it would be on par with the 500's.

josephr
06-18-2013, 03:27 PM
Cateye Strada Slim purchased, thanks for all the recommendations!

smart move! just bought a new bike here and went with the strada wireless. easiest set up of any bike computer yet. it may be a year to replace the batteries, but keep in mind you can get the Energizer 5 pack from Amazon for $3. Cateye wants $2.50 each.

Llewellyn
06-19-2013, 03:34 AM
Does anyone know if the sensor for the Stada slim will work for the standard Strada wireless model?

Looks like a nice improvement on the current sensor

palincss
06-19-2013, 06:56 AM
However note the caveat: that sensor won't work with all fork/wheel combinations, if the distance between sensor and magnet is too great. There's more adjustability with the regular sensor.

Liv2RideHard
06-19-2013, 07:15 AM
Sensors, magnets, having to replace batteries, differing wheel sizes if you switch between different bikes...

All of the above is why I went with the Garmin...which has none of the above.

pcxmbfj
06-19-2013, 07:23 AM

The time shows only on one screen.
I believe it's the screen with the four panes to "start or resume" the ride.
Not easily seen in the upper left corner but it's there.

Liv2RideHard
06-19-2013, 08:03 AM
The time shows only on one screen.
I believe it's the screen with the four panes to "start or resume" the ride.
Not easily seen in the upper left corner but it's there.

Hold down the button on the bottom left for a few seconds and the time will display.

Likes2ridefar
06-19-2013, 08:08 AM
Hold down the button on the bottom left for a few seconds and the time will display.

messed up the edit...

Likes2ridefar
06-20-2013, 01:08 PM

Just wanted to say I did this yesterday and was underwhelmed by the result. I dont really know what I was expecting, perhaps a nice tone and a BIG time flashing on the screen, or perhaps have it show up on the same screen at the bottom briefly, but all it did was return me to the start screen where I knew the time was already.

At least you can return to the ride without messing the timing up...

mcteague
06-20-2013, 01:34 PM
Sensors, magnets, having to replace batteries, differing wheel sizes if you switch between different bikes...

All of the above is why I went with the Garmin...which has none of the above.

GPS: remember to charge it, wait for satellite acquisition, more bulk, more money. If you do switch between bikes, it does better, I'll give you that.

Tim

Likes2ridefar
06-20-2013, 01:43 PM
GPS: remember to charge it, wait for satellite acquisition, more bulk, more money. If you do switch between bikes, it does better, I'll give you that.

Tim

the 200 and 500 really aren't that bulky and if you factor in the sensor they are far less so, and less weight too. the 200 costs $120 and can probably be had for less. Granted that's probably still quite a bit more than sensor based computers.

Pretty much everyone I ride and race against uses a garmin and I've never heard one person complain about battery life. Only ones I've heard complain are guys doing ultra type events that go for longer than 12 hours.

My 200 connects in maybe 5 seconds most the time and thats in NYC surrounded by huge buildings. My 500 was slower especially when I let a lot of stored rides accumulate.

Liv2RideHard
06-20-2013, 02:03 PM
Just wanted to say I did this yesterday and was underwhelmed by the result. I dont really know what I was expecting, perhaps a nice tone and a BIG time flashing on the screen, or perhaps have it show up on the same screen at the bottom briefly, but all it did was return me to the start screen where I knew the time was already.

At least you can return to the ride without messing the timing up...

Guess I could have been clearer. Yeah it does return you to the start screen but like you said it doesn't mess up your ride. Not having the time always displayed is the only thing that bugs me about the 200. Other than that, 0 complaints.

Tim

None of those are a big deal really. I charge it maybe once a week when I charge all my lights, satellite acquisition takes all of about 2 seconds (I always get good geometry with respect to satellites), it is really not bulky at all and can be had for $100-$120. Like I said earlier, I swore off computers until the 200 came along.