PDA

View Full Version : On the trainer.... not bad

saab2000
12-12-2005, 06:04 PM
I did 10 minutes on the trainer. A victory for me.

I have been working so much lately that I have hardly been able to even see my bike. While in Washington DC I did get out for a handful (5 or so) rides of 15-20 miles. Pathetic, but better than nothing. Fortunately I have been able to run a fair amount. Then I got sick about 10 days ago. Bad cold, with fever, etc.

So while at home in my new (in the family a long time, but I am now the only occupant) townhome in Minneapolis I set up my Merckx on my fluid trainer. Got the radio set up and the Apple computer with the DVD player and the '98 Giro. Not bad. I am not completely over this illness, so I restricited myself to 10 minutes in the 42x19. Just working some kinks out.

But what a joy! Riding in the trainer sucks, but just releasing those couple endorphins was cool.

Plus, it was cool to see homies Camenzind and Zuelle slay all!!! 'til Pantani and Tonkov come through.

Those two guys came from near where I lived in Switzerland in the north and the race finished its final time trial in Lugano, riding down many roads I used to ride on, until being forced to return to the US...... :crap: I digress....

I am ecstatic to be sitting on my Merckx again!! Even though it is only for 10 minutes due to illness and on the trainer due to winter. :D

Ginger
12-12-2005, 06:16 PM
Some people hate the trainer for what it represents: Cold, ugly weather and long miles of punishment going to nowhere.

But for those of us who can't get out, the trainer represents natural drugs in a neat, enjoyable package.

:-)

Those first 10 minutes after being gone are just SO happy. :)

Glad to hear that you're starting to feel better!

Take it easy,
Mary Ann

Hysbrian
12-12-2005, 07:21 PM
A good trainer quote from an even better rider..."In 2002 I broke my collarbone 3 times... Ouch!!!!!!!!!!! I was getting in around 18hours a week on the home trainer.... I know I know... I am crazy" Saul Raisin
http://www.saulraisin.com/temp/

time to go ride the trainer....

spiderlake
12-12-2005, 07:31 PM
From Saul's blog:

Thursday, 08 December 2005
I once rode my bike on the trainer for 5 hours... I averaged over 200watts and or 130 heart rate.. I only got off the bike to use the restroom.. If anyone can beat this I'll be impressed.. Saul

My record is 2 hours. Most rides are 1 - 1.5 hours a few times a week. My favorite routine is to warm up for 30-40 minutes and then pop in the Uphill Grind spinerval (45 minutes) and then cool down for 10 minutes.

HR average = 137
Calories burned = 1150
..... Why am I still fat?? ; )

Rover-Rich
12-12-2005, 08:13 PM
You guys should check out Spinerval videos. They break up the monotony of riding a trainer. They are actually pretty good and if you get a few, you won't get too bored. Did 45mins today and feel pretty good.

jeffg
12-13-2005, 05:26 AM
Trainer beats nothing anytime!

It can be a wonderful training tool as well to have you flying come spring ...

I won't break Saul's record tonight, but will likely hit 3-3.5 hours if I get my work done and pack for the transatlantic flight to my brother-in-laws.

Can't believe they moved from La Jolla to Chicago :crap: No trainer for two weeks! Guess I'll run in the snow :no:

Climb01742
12-13-2005, 05:32 AM
I won't break Saul's record tonight, but will likely hit 3-3.5 hours if I get my work done and pack for the transatlantic flight to my brother-in-laws.

how on earth do you do that? after about 60-75 mins my brain is mush. you have my respect, sir.

Samster
12-13-2005, 05:45 AM
but will likely hit 3-3.5 hours if I get my work done and pack for the transatlantic flight to my brother-in-laws.

Whoa. That's pretty intense. :cool:

I don't think I could ever do that.

--sam

jeffg
12-13-2005, 06:20 AM
how on earth do you do that? after about 60-75 mins my brain is mush. you have my respect, sir.

Thank you Climb-O! My theory is that these are the keys:

1. Have a brain that is already mush!

2. Get a trainer you want to train on (or despise training on the least). I find a real ergometer (or something like the SRM indoor trainer?) which has an eddy brake, provides very smooth resistance and training feedback does the trick for me. I program in courses, climbs and away I go. A good trainer is expensive, but given the limited daylight and weather/time restrictions I face, I do a lot of indoor riding.

3. DVDs. Spinervals don't work for me since I am not trying to pack a workout into an hour (generally). Tour/Giro work for me :banana: For instance, on Sunday I warmed for 15-20 minutes at a low set power (erg mode), rode a virtual Plateau de Beille (about 1:05), spun for 5-10 minutes and then rode a virtual Forclaz (40 minutes or so) before cooling down for 15 minutes. About 2:20 total ride time, perfect for a Tour DVD. Of course, my virtual climbing times may have little to do with what I could ride on the real thing (though my best Ventoux time on the trainer and my best Ventoux time in real life are very close). The point is I wanted to ride for 1.5-1.75 hours total at tempo intensity (or slightly above). Watching to pros smoke me on the virtual climbs provides motivation, and often I give myself a bit of a headstart and try to keep from getting caught.

4. See point #1

:banana: :banana: :banana:

Too Tall
12-13-2005, 06:33 AM
SuisseSaabStud - I feel you man. Just finished 3 weeks of very little riding and it was hard NOT to ride I need the complete time off. This morning I finally got in a good hard ride. Mtn bike to work 20 miles 1/2 on frozen trails using Nokian studded tires...ooo la la. Feeling perky today :) You remind me of why this sport has been so good for so many.

Keith A
12-13-2005, 09:52 AM
Hey Saab -- Glad to hear that you are feeling better...but you don't want to know what the weather has been like down here :D

saab2000
12-13-2005, 10:13 AM
Keith,

This is EXACTLY the time of year when I would give anything for a couple weeks up and down A1A!!! I bet it's awesome!

Keith A
12-13-2005, 10:21 AM
I don't want to say this too loudly since we already have people moving into the state at about 200 people per day and the Florida I grew up in is disappearing rapidly...but the last two Saturday group rides have been awesome, brilliant blue skies, cool but not cold and only needed arm warmers last Saturday. This morning was a bit nippier with temps in the low 40s, but the sky is so blue.

Let me know if you are ever down this way again!

fiamme red
12-13-2005, 12:24 PM
I won't break Saul's record tonight, but will likely hit 3-3.5 hours if I get my work done and pack for the transatlantic flight to my brother-in-laws.Please, don't do it! Spare your precious brain cells! :no:

chrisroph
12-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Jim--I'm still trying to get a bike mounted on a trainer. I need to do it soon. I did buy a fixed road wheel today and will soon build up the 10th anniversary eddy into a road fixie.

Dr. Doofus
12-13-2005, 07:30 PM
oodf decided no trainer ride over 2 hrs this year

instead, doof is doing two-a-days

much better

sessions are harder, and recovery is good because the workouts are short (1-1.5 hrs)

example today -- 4:30-5:30 10 min WU @ 220w, 3 x 10 tempo ints (260-270w) 5 min @ 210 w recoveries, 10 min cool down. 820 kjoules.

7:00 - 8:00. 15 min wu @ 220w, 30 min tempo (avg 270w) 15min cool down. 827 kjoules.

two good tempo workouts, just under 1650 kjoules for the day. some endurance work and maybe, maybe first time on the cross bike tomorrow (if the shoes arrive at the LBS)...life is good and the ol doof may be back next summer*

* last year's doof was a weak copy of vintage doof.

Too Tall
12-14-2005, 06:38 AM
NICE workouts odfo :) Fast kids got you hooked up!