PDA

View Full Version : Assos AirBlock vest - that much better than others?

BdaGhisallo
12-12-2005, 04:41 PM
I know Assos is usually of a high quality but I was wondering if the airblock vest ( now discontinued, I believe, replaced by the element zero) is that much better than the alternatives. I have a four year old Louis Garneau vest, but I don't believe it has any special windproof treatment. I am sure it is just plain polyester/nylon.

I know a place that still has the size I need on clearance. Should I splurge? Will it be that much of an improvement?

Thanks.

RichMc
12-12-2005, 05:08 PM
Go ahead, splurge. I have one of the long sleeved airblock jerseys for the rare cold weather ride. Nothing gets through the chest. The sleeves don't have the airblock and that's another story but you're looking at a vest anyway. So get it for yourself and have a Merry Christmas.

bigdeal
12-12-2005, 05:44 PM
like anything Assos, it's pricey but well worth it. These past 2 months I rode all my non-Assos gear exclusively, just to make sure I wasn't being foolish about my gear selection (read as 'spending habit'). Sunday I put on a pair of Assos bibs for the first time in 2 months and can honestly say: the difference is certainly appreciable.

bshell
12-12-2005, 08:52 PM
hey RichMc-

was wondering if you are referring to the intermediate jersey. i am a devoted assos fan (bibs, hat, arm/knee warmers) but have not tried that jersey w/ the airblock chest portion. would love some info on temperature range/satisfaction. i keep thinking it might be better to look for one that has airblock covered sleeves as well. nobody stocks that stuff here because it is so pricey. i have to special order everything. i will never wear another brand of short until my local shop tells me they genuinely have one that is superior. i've known these guys for a long time and trust 'em.

thanks

Ozz
12-12-2005, 10:15 PM
I have the older intermediate jersey...nice piece, good fit & quality. However, the material is too lightweight to get away with a short sleeve undershirt...my arms get cold unless I pull armwarmers up over the long sleeves. Goofy, but it works.

I also have the older style Airblock Jacket with the snap closure neck. This is a very nice garment. I went for a ride Thanksgiving morning. Temp was right around freezing, and I was riding thru fog. I didn't notice until the sun came up that I was covered in a sheet of ice. I was still toasty with just a craft under shirt and medium weight long sleeve jersey on under the jacket.

I've looked at the vests, but they are pricey. I think the Assos has an extra long tail that you can drop if the road turns wet....not sure if that feature is worth the extra $$. Look at Etxe Ondo stuff...comparable quality with a little better price.

The Spider
12-13-2005, 01:31 AM
I use the Assos Intermediate (airblock front panels) spring, winter and autumn. When it gets under 10 degrees a pair of armwarmers UNDER the sleeves work well. You can also put the gilet vest over the top. when it gets 7 degrees or less, or I can put a long sleeve merino wool undershirt instead of the short sleeve that I always wear.

For winter...I'm going to purchase the new vest, the airblock 799 will be thermal as well as wind proof. When it comes to keeping you warm the Assos thermal stuff is great (as previously mentioned). The Airjack is fantastic, the new 851 is just brilliant. You feel...impenetrable when you put one on.

The gilet is really just a great wind blocker. but sometimes that's all you need. definetely worth the "on sale" price and a very versatile piece of clothing.

have a great ride.

Ray
12-13-2005, 05:57 AM
I was in one of the local high-end shops yesterday, talking to the shop guys. They have last years Gator jackets marked down to $300. I got one of those used for $200 last year and cannot IMAGINE a warmer jacket. The new one, the fugujack (sp?), costs $580. They can't keep 'em in stock. Amazing.

-Ray

bshell
12-13-2005, 11:39 AM
ray,

how is the fit on that gator jacket? true to the sizing chart on their website?

i've seen some pictures where the rear pockets looked like they were saggy and loose, like your snacks or multi tool would fall out (a problem i have with my assos jersey).

any info would be cool. i want to get some warmer gear but don't want to be stuck with special orders at assos prices that aren't right. i really need to find a shop that carries the clothing line and make the drive there so i don't keep probing forum members!

thanks

BdaGhisallo
12-13-2005, 11:50 AM
Thanks for the advice. I pulled the trigger and the vest is on the way.

Frustration
12-13-2005, 01:41 PM
woopsy... Guess I'm late

The "next to skin" stuff (bibs etc) are great, but the Vest is just a wind layer... Lots of stuff does the job as well for way less cash.

TimD
12-13-2005, 02:41 PM
Buy the Meivici of jackets if you must, and can afford it. That said, Performance has a nice item:

http://www.performancebike.com/shop/profile.cfm?SKU=19574&estore_ID=518

which for $65 is a real bargain. Over two medium-weight layers today mine kept me warm for 75 minutes @ 19 degrees F. ("feels like 10"), wind 10-15, average speed 18 MPH, peak speed 38.

TimD

Climb01742
12-13-2005, 03:35 PM
tim, when did you ride outside? i rode sunday at 7-8ish and froze. barely made 70 mins and was miserable. have been basement-bound since. today is brutal.

Ray
12-13-2005, 03:40 PM
ray,

how is the fit on that gator jacket? true to the sizing chart on their website?

i've seen some pictures where the rear pockets looked like they were saggy and loose, like your snacks or multi tool would fall out (a problem i have with my assos jersey).
I found a fit translator somewhere that showed you what typical American sizes the various Assos sizes worked out to. I bought the used jacket based on that and it fits fine, although it's tight by design. It's so freaking warm though that I just wear it over a base layer and MAYBE a light jersey, so nothing too bulky. Unfortunately I don't recall where I found that translator - somewhere on line.

I haven't had any issues with the pockets, but I don't carry that much when its cold enough for that jacket anyway - I generally only ride a couple hours or less in those temperatures, so don't take much more than a cell phone and maybe an emergency gu or clif bar in the pockets and the patch kit, spare tube, and a few tools in the seat pack. Not much to fall out.

Hope that helps,

-Ray

RichMc
12-13-2005, 04:51 PM
Bshell,

It's the intermediate long sleeve. I used in 35 to 40 degree weather with a base layer. The chest was fine but, like the other folks have said, arm warmers would have been a plus. It was still OK but I'd rather be too warm and have to take off the warmers rather than being cold.

TimD
12-13-2005, 05:23 PM
tim, when did you ride outside? i rode sunday at 7-8ish and froze. barely made 70 mins and was miserable. have been basement-bound since. today is brutal.

Hey Climb,

Three of us started at 1145 from Boxborough, went up Hill Road just north of 111 and east of I-495, headed south and crossed 117 up and over Long Hill, back to 117, west to Sugar Road, and back on East End Road -> Finn Road -> Eldridge Road -> Stow Road -> Codman Hill Road.

We chose this route as it was semi-sheltered. However, the wind was from the N/NE today, in our face on the return, blowing just hard enough to annoy.

Nice sunny day, if a little brisk :)

TimD

bshell
12-13-2005, 07:37 PM
thanks for responding Ray/RichMc !