PDA

View Full Version : New Family Member

Ken Robb
06-16-2013, 09:04 PM
This is Eric who fills a hole in my heart that I didn't know I had. We had to put our 16 year-old Bichon down in April. We still have our 17 year-old Bichon. I have been feeling more like a hospice worker than a pet owner for a couple of years.

By accident we found Eric in the local newspaper insert of adoptable pets and their website. We thought a puppy would drive our ancient boy crazy and dealing with a puppy and a geriatric dog might make us crazy. Eric came into our lives and hearts a few days ago. He and his old brother get on famously. Leslie and I are amused that we fell in love with Eric faster than we fell in love with each other.

There are LOTS of wonderful pets looking to improve your life at local shelters.Our boy is perfectly house-trained and always up for play,walk or cuddle. My heart sings.

dave thompson
06-16-2013, 09:21 PM
Awww Ken, looks just like you.

Ken Robb
06-16-2013, 09:30 PM
Dave just wishes he had this much hair.

mso
06-16-2013, 09:35 PM
What a cutie:)

Yes there are so many wonderful animals at our local shelters. Adopt...Adopt

Louis
06-16-2013, 10:37 PM
As I read this my 21-yr old cat Abby is sitting on my lap. He doesn't have a terribly good opinion of dogs, but agrees that as long as they obey their elders, all pets are great. :)

wooly
06-17-2013, 12:34 AM
Simply awesome Ken. What a cutie. We adopted out last dog and have fostered another. My wife and I will never buy another dog again. Congrats!

Climb01742
06-17-2013, 07:38 AM
Thank you for giving a good little soul a home. Props to you and the mrs.

AngryScientist
06-17-2013, 07:42 AM
good lookin pup!

have fun with him Ken!

redir
06-17-2013, 09:03 AM
Cute looking doggie there.

Fishbike
06-17-2013, 09:29 AM
Congrats on the new addition! Enjoy him! How did you decide on the name?

Ken Robb
06-17-2013, 10:05 AM
Congrats on the new addition! Enjoy him! How did you decide on the name?

He came with the name and since he is 3 yrs. old and responds to it we won't mess with success. His brother is Ludwig (von Beethoven-Leslie is a music teacher) so we decided Eric must be a Clapton because he rocks and Satie was an Erik.

veggieburger
06-17-2013, 10:07 AM
Looks vicious. Former police dog?

Don49
06-17-2013, 10:44 AM
My brother has had two Bichon's, and believes they are among the most intelligent of all dogs. Has that been your experience?

cdn_bacon
06-17-2013, 10:47 AM
Wishing you many years of health and happiness

Ken Robb
06-17-2013, 11:50 AM
My brother has had two Bichon's, and believes they are among the most intelligent of all dogs. Has that been your experience?

Eric is smarter than our other two. I'd say he's up there with my brilliant old Labrador. For instance: we have a gate made of two wood grates with a hinge in the middle. It has always be an effective barrier for our two dogs. The first night we had Eric at home we used it to keep him away from the aromatic canned prescription meat food that Ludwig gets. The gate is wider than a doorway and when it is partially unfolded (V-shape) we stand it up across the doorway and it has worked fine. We had the pointy end facing Eric because we figured he might be the challenge. He gave it a couple of nudges and realized it wouldn't budge that way so he put a paw through the slats and pulled it open. We may not be smart enough for this dog.

Louis
06-17-2013, 01:47 PM
We may not be smart enough for this dog.

I bet he'll perk up the entire household, canine and human. :)

Ken Robb
06-17-2013, 02:37 PM
He certainly has done that. One of our friends gave Leslie a blue gift bag with "It's a Boy" written on it. It had several cool doggie toys. Here he is with one of his faves.