PDA

View Full Version : Under the catagory of PITA

oldpotatoe
06-16-2013, 12:04 PM
Retail is...somebody broke our window last night-Boulder Scum.

Upside down..how does that happen?

drink a few beers or stand on your head

witcombusa
06-16-2013, 12:23 PM
Hopefully nothing taken? Broke the glass and ran? :no:

Retail...It's not just a job, it's an adventure :eek:

rwsaunders
06-16-2013, 12:32 PM
Fixed it.

fourflys
06-16-2013, 12:36 PM
people are idiots... sorry to hear Peter...

oldpotatoe
06-16-2013, 12:39 PM
people are idiots... sorry to hear Peter...

Ya can say that twice..nothing taken, hole to small(?)...frames are all locked..just a drunk *****head...matbe.

Oh well, if yer not working 7 days a week, you are a part time biz owner.

rugbysecondrow
06-16-2013, 12:43 PM
I owned a business when I was in college and I was robbed. Bastard broke the window, cut himself so badly climbing in that he bled everywhere. Stole 30 in petty cash and left out the door. The fact he cut the heck out of himself was gratifying to me...does that make me a dick? Maybe.

oldpotatoe
06-16-2013, 12:52 PM
I owned a business when I was in college and I was robbed. Bastard broke the window, cut himself so badly climbing in that he bled everywhere. Stole 30 in petty cash and left out the door. The fact he cut the heck out of himself was gratifying to me...does that make me a dick? Maybe.

Nope. If somebody punched the window, I hope he cut himself.

dekindy
06-16-2013, 01:05 PM
Is there evidence that somebody broke it? Binding of frame due to heat, wind, etc.? There are a lot of reasons glass breaks.

oldpotatoe
06-16-2013, 01:29 PM
Is there evidence that somebody broke it? Binding of frame due to heat, wind, etc.? There are a lot of reasons glass breaks.

righto-looks like somebody punched it. Doubt it was binding due to heat or wind....

enr1co
06-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Nope. If somebody punched the window, I hope he cut himself.

Not good karma to wish ill-will but perhaps the scum did cut himself and perhaps the cut will get infected ... ;)

parris
06-16-2013, 02:32 PM
People can be d*******gs! Two of the shops I worked in during he 80's got broken into. The first shop had to be kids because what they did was to carefully take the molding out of a window frame, remove the window without breaking it, find their way from the back store room to the show room which I can guarantee you was no mean feat in the middle of the night, walk past ALL the good high end gear, get to the front case by a large street facing window, and steal... a couple of ultegra bits and other smalls. I think the entire take was worth something like $80.00. The kicker is that they looked right past the open cash register drawer that the shop owner had forgotten to empty out the day before:eek:.

The second time a jacka** put a brick through a plate glass window and made off with one of the better Trek bikes that was on display. The hole looked not much bigger than yours but the really impressive thing is somehow the guy didn't cut himself.

Oh I forgot to mention that the kids did such a careful job at the first shop that we were able to re-install the window in about 10 minutes and spent that afternoon putting up bars to short circuit a repeat performance.

67-59
06-16-2013, 03:35 PM
Sorry to hear, Peter. Glad they didn't take anything.

Matthew
06-16-2013, 04:47 PM
Just like when the little old lady blasts an intruder who has broken into her house in the middle of the night. I call it instant justice. Guess my sour attitude comes from working in a prison for a living.

thegunner
06-16-2013, 06:10 PM
when i was in college, a couple of drunk football players ended up crashing through the window of the radioshack near our campus. pretty much just idiots being idiots. hopefully this is the case and not an intentional act :(

glad to hear that moots is safe and sound though!

Lovetoclimb
06-16-2013, 06:23 PM
Ugh, very sorry to see this. One has to wonder if it was random, or someone who does not like cyclists/bikes/etc.

Patiently awaiting my next trip to Boulder so I can spend some money in Vecchios, help recover some of that cost!

Mike748
06-16-2013, 07:21 PM
You need tempered glass.

tv_vt
06-16-2013, 07:25 PM
Sorry to hear about the window, Peter. I'm sure you were thinking more about your own 'temper' rather than the window's, at the time.

Hope your insurance covers it NQA. Still a hassle. Glad nothing was taken. Looks like some nice stuff in the window!

Best,

TV

pbarry
06-16-2013, 08:31 PM
What a shame. Knuckleheads abound on Saturday nights. :fight:

I've used Toledo Glass over on Spruce for many jobs. They do good work.

fogrider
06-16-2013, 09:01 PM
You need tempered glass.

tempered glass is stronger, but it will still break with a hard impact. there are safety films (http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/Window_Film/Solutions/Markets-Products/Commercial/Safety-Security_Window_Films/Impact_Protection_Attachment_Systems/) that will do the job.

teleguy57
06-16-2013, 09:16 PM
I'm heading from WI to Boulder and the Fraser Valley in two weeks. Already thinking about what I can buy from Old Potatoe this time!

moran
06-16-2013, 09:45 PM
One of the coolest shops I've been in....and I have been in a few! A shame about the window though.

WickedWheels
06-16-2013, 11:48 PM
Don't sweat the little stuff, Peter. It's not worth getting upset about since it could've been much worse. Turn it into good PR instead.

oldpotatoe
06-17-2013, 07:19 AM
You need tempered glass.

Gee, thanks at $500 per pane and needing 15 of them..think I'll pass.

oldpotatoe
06-17-2013, 07:20 AM
Sorry to hear about the window, Peter. I'm sure you were thinking more about your own 'temper' rather than the window's, at the time.

Hope your insurance covers it NQA. Still a hassle. Glad nothing was taken. Looks like some nice stuff in the window!

Best,

TV

$500 deductible..ohh well, gent that came out on Sunday did a great job, ON SUNDAY..very friendly

If ya need window work

Boulder Glass

oldpotatoe
06-17-2013, 07:21 AM
What a shame. Knuckleheads abound on Saturday nights. :fight:

I've used Toledo Glass over on Spruce for many jobs. They do good work.

Closed on Sunday.

I could have gotten some plywood and all but I'm not sure I could have secured it anywhere safely in the 100 year old store front.

all's well that end's well...

redir
06-17-2013, 09:12 AM
I live in a college town and see this kind of thing happen a lot. Can't even imagine what the town was thinking when they wanted to beautify down town with brick side walks.

Tandem Rider
06-17-2013, 10:14 AM
I managed a bike shop in a college town on the "strip" which was a long row of college bars. Learned the hard way to keep a few sheets of plywood and a dozen 2x4s on hand along with a saw and screw gun. No glass shop would answer the phone at 3 am on Sunday. They also "plug" a rammed in back door.

jdhansen63
06-17-2013, 11:30 AM
That sucks. Really cool shop.

As far as the upside down picture goes, this happens with iPhones if you take a picture in landscape using the volume button with the buttons facing down. Upside down..how does that happen?

ald
06-18-2013, 02:30 PM
This was a few years ago, after a 4:00am break in. It was a 10 foot wide piece of glass, there were bits of tempered glass scattered all over inside and outside the building, that took hours to clean up. Sorry to see that happen to you, I feel your pain.

ClutchCargo
06-18-2013, 03:21 PM
Peter -- I'm sure you've got this covered, but are there any security cams around that might've caught the action? I had the impression you can't walk 10 feet anywhere in America without starring in some cam's footage.

dnades
06-18-2013, 03:41 PM
Laminated glass is much cheaper than tempered glass and will keep the glass from going all over the place when it is broken. What a great shop. Stopped in and ogled all the prettty frames there when I was in Boulder in May.

oldpotatoe
06-19-2013, 07:12 AM
That sucks. Really cool shop.

As far as the upside down picture goes, this happens with iPhones if you take a picture in landscape using the volume button with the buttons facing down.

Huh? Help this 'puter/phone idiot out!

oldpotatoe
06-19-2013, 07:13 AM
Peter -- I'm sure you've got this covered, but are there any security cams around that might've caught the action? I had the impression you can't walk 10 feet anywhere in America without starring in some cam's footage.

Nope, nobody has them nor does the republic gov't..

MattTuck
06-19-2013, 07:29 AM
sorry to hear that. In the words of one of the great philosophers of modern times... "bunch of savages in this town"

http://bestuff.com/images/images_of_stuff/210x600/bunch-of-savages-in-this-town-93881.jpg?1190662126

MattTuck
06-19-2013, 07:32 AM
Nope, nobody has them nor does the republic gov't..

With so much value in your inventory, you might want to consider DropCam. (https://www.dropcam.com/) Who knows if it would help. Just another layer of security, like locking up the frames.

oldpotatoe
06-19-2013, 07:51 AM
With so much value in your inventory, you might want to consider DropCam. (https://www.dropcam.com/) Who knows if it would help. Just another layer of security, like locking up the frames.

Nope..first time in 13 years..got insurance..not that big of a deal, really.

If it were happening all the time, I'd do the bars on the window thing...can't beat that security. Saw a store a couple of blocks down that had a window busted, think it was just some young, stoned or drunk *****head.