to rest a few weeks ago...
I am grieving her loss
As I would any family member
And hold the same hope
for her to have entered a place
Of peace without pain

fuzzalow
06-16-2013, 07:11 AM
You did the right thing. All dogs go to heaven and all dogs have undying trust to their master & their family. You walked your dog right to heavens door and he was not fearful and happy to go because you told him it was alright. My condolences.

1centaur
06-16-2013, 07:30 AM
Sorry, Bruce. In a way, that's one of the reasons there is a Father's Day, because making the tough choices and getting it done is worthy of a moment to pause and respect.

Another lucky dog is in your future, perhaps. Look forward.

akelman
06-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Typing with tears in my eyes, Bruce. I'm certain he was as lucky to have you in his life as you were to have him.

mnoble485
06-16-2013, 07:34 AM
Bruce,
Anyone who has had to do this, including me several times, knows it doesn't get any easier. I was told by a wise person to be greatfull for our time and the joy we shared.

Mike

Climb01742
06-16-2013, 08:17 AM
bruce, it's one of the hardest choices there is, but making it out of love, it's one of the most beautiful. all dogs live forever in our hearts. take care.

buldogge
06-16-2013, 08:26 AM
Always the hardest thing...but better to let them go then to suffer in pain.

They're always devoted to us and they deserve for us to do the right thing.

There were times in the past where we selfishly hung on to their presence, and have vowed not to do it again.

You did the right thing, you were strong for them...exactly what a "father" does.

Here's to the rest of your day being happier...

-Mark in St. Louis

SamIAm
06-16-2013, 08:35 AM
That is such a sweet picture, it breaks my heart. Not sure how I will handle it when the time comes for me to do the same.

dave thompson
06-16-2013, 08:39 AM
I've had dogs all my life. Making the 'choice' is never easy but has to be done. I'll echo what 1centaur said: there's another lucky dog in your future.

jblande
06-16-2013, 09:12 AM
some of the saddest moments of my own childhood, but I also remember with awe how difficult it was for my parents.

JAGI410
06-16-2013, 09:18 AM
Sorry to hear that, certainly not a good way to start Father's Day :(

GScot
06-16-2013, 09:20 AM
Hard days. Just went through that a few months ago with our sheltie of 15 years. I still look for her sometimes. Hang in there and good job making a tough decision.

Wilkinson4
06-16-2013, 09:30 AM
So hard Bruce. It does get better to deal with in time. And yes they do.

mIKE

enr1co
06-16-2013, 09:38 AM
Sincere condolences to you and your family Bruce.

roguedog
06-16-2013, 09:44 AM
Sorry to hear, Bruce.

He's there free feeding, fetching balls, running with tongue flapping, .. and having a grand ole time. Spirit free.

Ken Robb
06-16-2013, 10:12 AM
We had to part with our 16 year-old Bichon in April. We still had his 17 year-old brother and we know he won't be with us much longer. That last trip to the vet was the hardest thing I can remember doing.

A few days ago Leslie spotted a furry face in the newspaper section for adoptable pets. Then she followed a link to their website that had more pix and a glowing description of "Eric". She forwarded that to me with "Cute" as her only comment. Something made me get on the Ducati and ride out to the El Cajon Animal Shelter for a look-see.

My email to her: "A bundle-and-a half of love and energy". She cancelled three students lessons, we loaded our old dog in the car and went for a visit. All around love-fest so Eric now lives with us.

The old guy has perked up quite a bit hanging out with his new 3 year-old brother and so have I. Les and I laugh that we fell in love with Eric quicker than we fell in love with each other.

We thought we would not get another dog while Ludwig was still with us but we were wrong. We will never forget Max but Eric fills holes in our hearts. In him we see reminders of Max and my old Labrador. He is ALWAYS happy. Heck, when he's asleep he still wags his tail every 30 seconds or so.

My opinion: Since you loved your old guy so much don't wait too long to consider another. A perfect pet FOR YOU will be waiting at a shelter near you. I'm a little teary now. Sorry for your loss.

OtayBW
06-16-2013, 10:16 AM
My shepherd was 14 yo when I had to put her down a while ago. Difficult as it is, you always know the correct time to do it.

Very sorry for you loss.

Bruce K
06-16-2013, 10:51 AM
Thanks for all the support

We still have our three cats, including. a 6 month old bundle of energy and mayhem named Yuki. He is a Snow Bengal and thinks he is a dog most of the time.

Besides our cats we have always had a dog over the last 25 years but we are not sure another dog fits right now.

We will never be without pets.

BK

soulspinner
06-16-2013, 11:20 AM
bruce, it's one of the hardest choices there is, but making it out of love, it's one of the most beautiful. all dogs live forever in our hearts. take care.

So true...........sorry for your loss Bruce

bluesea
06-16-2013, 11:34 AM
Just had to have our 15 year old shepherd mix put to sleep

It just became time

We will miss him

Not a great start to Father's Day

BK

I feel your pain.

At 16.5 yo I had to put my Australian Cattle Dog mix to sleep going on two years this Oct. I thought it was the right time then, but occasionally I still get a haunted thought that it was a bit too early. She had a good life right to the end.

jghall
06-16-2013, 12:07 PM
Sorry to here Bruce. I feel your pain. Had to put my Golden down a few days ago myself. He is a good looking dog and I am sure enjoyed every second with you. Thoughts and Prayers.

wooly
06-16-2013, 12:15 PM
Condolences Bruce. We put out Dane down a few years ago. Swore I'd never get another dog cause losing them is too tough on the kids, my wife and me. Fast forward we got another pooch after about 7 months. We were ready.

gavingould
06-16-2013, 12:18 PM
am not looking forward to having to do this someday, but then again i couldn't let my dog live in pain.

my condolences to you and yours.

cash05458
06-16-2013, 01:29 PM
so sorry to hear this Bruce...guess it is not much of a consolation but the fact that you gave him a full, lovely life for 15 years is about the only thing to feel good about...tho I know that makes not so much of a difference via the pain...myself, my guy has maybe, if lucky, two more years left and I absolutely dread the fact of its coming ...best to you...

NHAero
06-16-2013, 03:45 PM
We let our 15 year old Sheltie go 3 years ago and I'm looking at a great big photo of him as I type. Still miss him to death! Condolences to you and your family.